“Great hotel for universal studios” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City to your Saves list
Expedia.com Booking.com
Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   555 Universal Hollywood Dr, Los Angeles, CA 91608-1001 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and save 20%
Ranked #45 of 318 hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Sydney, Australia
“Great hotel for universal studios”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location for visiting universal studios. It's about 10 minutes walk away. Staff were friendly. The food at the Sierra cafe was yum. Pool area was nice and they provided pool towels. Room was nice- a good size, bed was comfy, bathroom was spacious.
Only negative was the air conditioning unit didn't work properly which is isn't good on 100deg days but we only stayed there one full day so by the time we realised it wasn't working, it was too late to get it fixed.
Overall an enjoyable stay.
A tip for universal studios- if you are planning to go on the rides and the tour, buy the front of line pass so you can skip the queues. Wait time for some rides was 70 minutes!!

• Stayed July 2013
HiltonUniversal, Manager at Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for your excellent feedback. We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us. Our apologies for the issues you had with the air conditioning. These concerns have been forwarded to the appropriate manager. We would love to contact you to follow up further. Please call our Executive Office to provide your contact information at 818-509-2072. We look forward to seeing you the next time you visit the Los Angeles area

Regards,

1,619 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Malmo, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in july 2013 . We decided to treat ourself to an executive room during our stay and got room 2054 on executive floor 20. After our stay I can say that staying in an executive room added NO extra value to us. I am already an Hilton honors Gold member and the continental breakfast that was included in the room was of no value since I would have gotten that anyway. There are NO executive lounge on this hotel. So you sit in the general breakfast area and what worse is, is that you are treated like an idiot, I was 3 feet away from the bagels but since I had only continental breakfast I was NOT allowed to stand up and go and get the bagel myself, A server had to do it for me !!!! Another bad thing is that I had to wait for my room to be ready for 1,5 hours in the lobby ! They promised 50 minutes but it took 1,5 hours and they did not even apologize for that. the room itself looks like any other room in the hotel so I would recommend not choosing an executive room.

To summarize the stay:

PROS: Wonderful beds, Nice layout of the hotel, Excellent location for all tourists visiting L.A.
Nice layout of the rooms, Warm colors in the rooms. really fast Wi-fi internet (5,5 Mbit/s download and 4,5 Mbit/s upload). Great breakfast buffe as opposed to the continental breakfast for executive and Gold members. Clean rooms and clean hotel. Upscale and very nice general areas.

CONS: Rude staff, rooms in need of some renovation, No extra benefit for executive floor guests. Long waiting time during check-in. Treated like an idiot at breakfast. Never a smile from staff.
Gold status by Hilton will give you almost nothing except free wi-fi. They will nickel and dime
you for everything. Expensive parking (20 dollar a day). Again: treated like an idiot....
No extra value for paying 276 dollar a night in a executive room. i was NOT allowed to use a luggage cart outside hotel, so i had to carry my luggage to the room. Turn down service just one night out of 3. Stays at Hampton inn have had much better value than this hotel.
I asked for a room facing L.A and/or Universal studios and was given a room facing the highway.......
Again: Treated like an idiot....

Would I stay here again ? I really don't think so, there are other Hilton hotels nor far away and I would prefer to try my luck with those instead.

Marschall
Sweden

Reservation: 3475307688

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
HiltonUniversal, Manager at Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
We are so sorry to hear about the issues you had during your stay with us. We want you to know that our guests are the number one priority. We apologies if anyone made you feel less valued. Our HHonors members should feel special for joining our frequent stay program. We will have someone contact you shortly to discuss this matter in further detail. We hope you will consider staying with us the next time you travel to the Los Angeles area.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City is in a great location if you are going to Universal Studios and plan to eat all of your meals in the park or in Universal City Walk. For that reason, the hotel commands an expensive per night rate. However, if I am going to pay this rate, I would expect better upkeep. The bathroom faucet squirted all over the sink area; the fold open doors to the TV cabinet kept closing while watching the TV; the coffee pot kept shutting off prematurely; and the most frustrating part of the experience is the elevators are extremely slow. Many of the indicator lights are burnt out, so you do not know if the elevator is going up or down and you don't know what floor you're on unless you stick your head out and read the lettering on the side of the doors when they open. If they paid the same amount of attention to these details as they do the landscaping (which they are constantly manicuring) the hotel would live up to its rating as a 4-5 star hotel. What amazes me is that cheaper hotels/motels offer a complimentary breakfast and free wi-fi. I have never understood why an expensive hotel charges for wi-fi ($7.95 per day) and breakfast is outrageously expensive. There are some restaurants and fast food franchises on Lankershim if you don't mind the traffic and the difficult parking logistics. We found a great Thai restaurant near Moorpark and Lankershim called the Rustic Spoon. Not fancy, but great, inexpensive food. There is a McDonald's a little further north on the left hand side, but the parking lot is a little larger than a postage stamp.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
HiltonUniversal, Manager at Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
We are sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. At Hilton, we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected. Your feedback will help us deliver this brand promise. We're very sorry that you were not happy with your guest room and the issues you occurred during your stay. As a AAA Four Diamond hotel, that is not the type of service we look to provide to our guests and will work to remedy and inconsistencies in service levels. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. We will forward these concerns to the appropriate manager and would like the opportunity to discuss this with you further. Please send your contact information to our marketing manager at LBriones@hiltonuniversal.com. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Sacramento, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a conference for one night. Brought my son and sister who visited Universal Studios and other sights in the area while I worked. Great location, clean, friendly and helpful staff.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

HiltonUniversal, Manager at Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you travel to the Los Angeles area.

Regards,
Canton, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I throughly enjoyed staying at this hotel. However, there should be a shuttle to and from the airport. Also I have stayed in much less expensive hotels/motels where Wi-Fi is free. It is $7.95 a day here unless you have enough Hilton Honors points which I did not. Buffets were expensive. Otherwise, it was wonderful. Beds are heavenly.

Room Tip: Higher floors are hotter. Make reservations early.
Green Features: I did not see a recyclable area but that does not mean there wasn't one. They do have a don't have to changed sheets or wash towels as often if you choose.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Excellent overall service! Free shuttle to the theme park.I enjoyed the room and the view of the park! Very clean room! walking distance to the park! Excellent buffet! see u soon! me and girlfriend is thinking of coming back in September for my birthday!

• Stayed June 2013
We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Our guests are the number one priority. We look forward to your return the next time you are in the Los Angeles area.

San Jose, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I like the view the hotel provide, although I wish I was on the on the other side of the hotel. I was happy that I could book the last room available without compromising price and quality. I made a last minute booking, because I was unprepared of the trip. I called other places before I called Hilton, and I was shocked how much they were charging per night. When I called this Hilton hotel, I quickly booked the room since it was their last room available.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Been to Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City? Share your experiences!