“Avoid on any semblance of A Holiday!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City

You added Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City to your Saves list
Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   555 Universal Hollywood Dr, Los Angeles, CA 91608-1001 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Double Points
Ranked #37 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego
“Avoid on any semblance of A Holiday!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Just stayed at the Hilton Universal City 16 February 2013. It was an overnight and the location was convenient to a social event we were attending in the Hollywood area. We chose the Hilton based on location and access to HWY 101. We have stayed at this location before and never had any issues - BIG MISTAKE THIS TIME!! Since it was President's Day Weekend, the place was overrun with kids and RUDE people.
We pulled up to the valet and I looked for a garbage can to toss my road snack papers. Umm not single garbage can in sight. When I asked the valet where to find one, he pointed across the parking area to a can about 50 yards away. Mind you I am NOT a jerk but that is stupid. I looked around the entry way of the hotel and not a single garbage can. I looked in the lobby and finally found one. Hmmm – just an observation but they may want to put one by the door.
Check in was miserable. We arrived at the hotel at 430PM and the stated check-in time was 330PM. There were three lines waiting to check-in and the longest was the Hilton Honors line! SLOW! We waited for over 30 minutes just to be told our room wasn’t ready! Claudia was our check-in person and she did find us a room that had just been readied but makes me wonder why check-in starts at 330PM but no rooms were available!!! Several folks were grumbling and that seemed to erupts when rooms weren’t available for some.
We had an alcove room number 1769. The room is large and again we have stayed at this property in this type room before. We chose the Universal Studios park view and the lights and the view of the mountain were nice. The view was spoiled by filthy and I DO MEAN FILTHY windows! Can’t take a good picture through mud and dirt.
We got back from our social event around 1AM and as the elevator door opened on our floor a group of 5 teenaged girls when shrieking by. Sign of things to come - The neighboring room apparently liked their television blasting and they also seemed compelled to yell over the television volume. I don’t know how many people were in that room but it was a lot of voices! I called security at midnight to shut them up – that lasted for about an hour then the television was back at its previous volume. Once again security was called …
Overall the hotel is dated and needs to be refreshed a bit – the fixtures in the bathroom are dated, lots of long hair around the bathroom, but “seemed” clean.
If you want a hotel with super easy access to Universal Studios (foot bridge), then stay here. We will avoid this property for a while and see if they clean up the place a bit.

Room Tip: If you want a hotel with super easy access to Universal Studios (foot bridge), then stay here
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Let me start by saying my girlfriend and I booked one night at the Hilton Universal on the fly. Upon arrival, our room wasn't ready yet, but we were upgraded for free to a better room on the top floor. When we decided to stay an extra day the staff was more than accommodating and we were able to stay in the same room at the same rate. The view of the mountains and valley were absolutely stunning. The room itself was great and the bed was heaven. The staff helped with booking local attractions.

If you have the opportunity, you absolutely must take advantage of the Seafood Buffet. Absolutely delicious. The pool and poolside bar were great. Highly recommended.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have changed my Hotel to this one when I am in LA. The staff is extremely helpful, the rooms are really big so you do not feel like you are in a teenie hotel room. The views are amazing!!! The Sunday brunch is pretty amazing especially for the price. I love the location it gets me from point A to point B fairly quickly. They have the free bus to the City Walk for shopping and dining which is usually 10-20 dollars for parking and it runs every 15 minutes. I have stayed there now 4 times in less than 1.5 months and I am shocked that the staff have already gotten to know me and welcome me back with great smiles and a willingness to help with anything I need. Great great Hotel!

Room Tip: get the room with the alcove it has an amazing view and just a little bit bigger so for the price of...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Hilton Los Angeles/ Universal City for two nights prior to following our trip to Hawaii from LA. For the ones who would like to explore Universal Studios, the location is perfect since it is at 3-5 minutes drive from the park. However, if you would like to explore other hot spots from LA it is a little distant. You will certainly need a car, (what I strongly recommend LA despite the traffic). But it worths the stay. The service was impeccable. The food of the in-dinning room service was delicious and breakfast rich, although the prices were quite high.

Stayed January 2013
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Big "businessy" conference hotel. Rooms are large and very nicely appointed. Staff "checks all the boxes" and does a reasonable job. Location is only good if you are visiting the theme park, or working at Universal. Typical overpriced hotel food, drinks and gift shop.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Overland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Great location, great corporate rates, amazing rooms/bed, great views. It's an easy walk across the street to Universal City. My room generally has views of all the shows in the park. Restaurants are nearby and very easy highway access. This is my hotel of choice when I'm in LA for business.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Brian the Fd Supervisor checked us in -- He needs a new uniform jacket as his current does not fit him correctly. Our room was on the 7th floor with a great view.(I have attached a picture from our room) We checked in late but found the late night room service very helpful as we traveled across country all day. The food was not very good to be honest -- Very expensive -- 2 sandwiches cost over $50.00 -- I have come to expect Room Service food to be priced high but 2 deli sandwiches with a small order of fries should not cost 50.00 and not be perfection.

The next morning we were set up for the VIP Experience at Universal -- we had a 10am report time for the event. We talked to Brian the night before and he suggested to arrive about 30 minutes prior -- which we were early-- We came down at 9am and went to the bell stand to let them know we were there for and were told the shuttle generally ran every 30 minutes. We waited... and we waited and no shuttle -- we asked several times and were told to keep waiting-- never did any of the staff try to reach out... when I asked them to they said the shuttle was run by an outside source and not the hotel itself but thats not how it was represented to us up until that point. I was more concerned about the staffs lack of ownership and sense of urgency. We ended up walking over which is what I would suggest for anyone reading this -- its up hill but its only about a 10 minute walk to the front gate of Universal.

I also suggest that employees at this property go on a few of the tours that they offer so that they can better express to someone asking what is exactly offered and what the experience is like. I asked 4 seperate employees and no one could really tell me what to expect or if its worth the money to do these tours. Finally I came to trip advisor to find the tours got aweful reviews so my wife and I decided to do things on our own instead.

My last comments are concerning the decor of the rooms -- obviously not the work of the hotel but they color scheme for this hotel is aweful.... Tan curtains, Silver walls ... it was just confusing to the eye --- Upgrade your TV --- a hotel of this stature should not have a 32/37 inch TV these days

I did not get his name- he was an older gentleman that we checked out with-- he was very nice

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City? Share your experiences!