“Universal Studios on the door step.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City

Save Saved
You added Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City to your Saves list
Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   555 Universal Hollywood Dr, Los Angeles, CA 91608-1001 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and save 20%
Ranked #46 of 322 hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Adelaide, Australia
“Universal Studios on the door step.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Our family (2A, 2C, 10 & 15) stayed at Hilton Universal City in mid Nov for 2 nights. Our only reason for this stay was to visit Universal Studios.
Location is the key factor here and you couldnt get any closer to Universal, however Im not sure if it would be a good base for anything else, as it seems a little isolated.
Check in staff were pleasant, but nothing outstanding. Room was spacious (a double double), we had a high floor and Universal view, which were both upgrades.($$). Beds were comfortable and there was lots of room for the suitcases. Bathroom was fairly standard fare but I did like the inclusion of mouthwash.
Parking was expensive as is the wifi.
The coffee shop was good, Starbucks coffee and Krispy Kreme doughnuts, you cant go wrong. We didnt use any other food and bev at the hotel, as Citywalk was just across the road adjacent to Universal Studios, where there is a good variety of food places.
Universal Studios is a very short walk, down the driveway, across the road and over a pedestrian bridge, all up less than 5 minutes and not strenuous by any means.
If, however, you are walking downhill to the subway/metro station, take care on the way down (its very steep) and wait for the shuttle for the trip back up. That climb would be life threatening!!
I would stay here again, (sans car if possible) if I were visiting Universal Studios and would recommend it for anyone else doing the same.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
HiltonUniversal, Manager at Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay and for choosing to spend your vacation with us. We appreciate your feedback and will be sure to forward your comments to the appropriate departments to improve future guest satisfaction.

1,759 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Camas WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I was impressed by the attentive personal service from everyone for such a large and extremely busy hotel. Great check-in and lots of "hellos". I listened in on the manager dealing with another's group problem.....very courteous.

The Honors freebies (breakfast, nightly snacks at the bar) met my family of 5's needs.

Room amenities on the 20th floor were nice. Rooms a bit small. Ask for a room facing the park.

Spa was clean and towels were a plenty.

Shuttle service to the park was very convenient. The 10 minute walk option was also good.

Room Tip: facing the park.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for you review of your recent stay. It pleases us immensely to hear that you experienced such personal service while you were here. Many of our team members have worked with us for several years and pride themselves on creating a home away from home for our guests. We hope that your stay has inspired you to continue to stay with Hilton.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

The is the nicest Hilton I've been to We had a spacious, well appointed alcove room with a nice view of the mountains. This Hilton is right next to Universal.
We didn't eat at the hotel, but the buffet looked magnificent . I fact the only downfall is that the Buffet setup takes over quite a bit of the lobby.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay. We are so pleased to hear that you found our hotel to be the best that you have experienced. That is high praise and we appreciate that you have takent the time to provide your feedback. Your note about the buffet setup has not gone unnoticed and will be forwarded to the appropriate department managers. We hope to see you again soon.

Grand Junction, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

My wife and I attended a 3 day convention and every thing was top notch. Had a very convenient and short walk to Universal Studios and the attached street mall. Great view of the inside of Universal Studios Theme Park from some rooms and views of the surrouding foothils from the other rooms. Only oddity was the walk way from the lobby/elevator area was lined on both sides with buffet food. If I was eating there I would not want everyone not eating walking within inches of all the food I was planning on eating. Very attractive food displays I must say though. The business center computer would not print my boarding pass but a very helpful staff member took me to his office and let me use his setup.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Theme Park have a view of some of the attractions if interested.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and fournd our staff accommodating. We hope to see you return soon.

Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed here to attend a concert at the Ampitheater on the property of Universal Studio's. We did take the free shuttle (shuttle ends at 9 pm) to Universal Studio's but the second day walked. It is a very short walk, literally across the street which is great.

Self-parking and check-in were a breeze. The line for non-Hilton members (even though I am one) was shorter and moved quicker so we chose that. We were on floor 16 and had a wonderful view of Universal Studio's. The bed was so comfortable which was very nice, especially after standing for many hours at the concert. The elevators were a bit slow which was annoying and our faucet leaked, but I rigged it with washcloths and it didn't bother us. I would like to see lotion in the bathrooms instead of mouthwash as well. The room was very spacious. Even had a mini sitting area with desk, lounge chair and lamp that overlooked the window area. Very nice. The room also had a safe. Sweet deal!!

We would totally stay here again and may make this concert a yearly thing, if we do, this hotel will be our #1 choice since I am a Hilton Honor member, the location is great and we had a wonderful stay.

Oh also, The Champagne Sunday Brunch there looked wonderful and very delicious, we did not have time to eat at it (saw the price, its very reasonable).

Enjoy!!

Room Tip: Our room over looked Universal Studio's which was fun to see!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonUniversal, Manager at Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us and for being a loyal HHonors member. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit. We have forwarded you notes about the in-room amentieis and faucet to the appropriate departments for follow up.

Definitely plan partaking the Jazz Champagne Brunch the next time you visit. It is a favorite of Los Angeles locals. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Niagara Falls, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

This is a good location for Universal theme park and that's about it. The room was spacious but I didn't come for that, towels old, toilet got plugged and got dirty glasses. When I asked for help directions and new glasses the staff didn't seem to care that I had dirty ones left for me to use. For the amount of money I spent on the room the view was horrible and in the end they wanted you to pay for wifi....when it's free at Starbucks imagine that.
I just joined trip advisor for this and I wish I did before I would have known, it shows a lot when the manager of this hotel only replies to good and excellent reviews and doesn't even apologize for bad ones. An apology does help and shows that you care about your customers and this hotel and their staff do not. The Hilton is poorly represented here, my advice to anyone is do not go.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HiltonUniversal, Manager at Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback of your recent stay with us. We sincerely apologize that your experience was not what you expected from our hotel. Your concerns regarding the level of service will surely be addressed as this is not typical of our property or staff. We apologize you did not receive a higher level of service, and we take this very seriously. The level of cleanliness has also been addressed with our housekeeping staff. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will return to see our improvements.

Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

We stayed on a stop over arriving from a long Hal flight before going to Jamaica. The location is great. Within walking distance to universal studios. Room service was nice.... Pancakes not nice though!

Great hotel considering its not overly expensive.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to forward to the Chef and food and beverage team your note about the pancakes. We hope that you also had an amazing time in Jamaica and we look forward to hosting you again the next time you are in Los Angeles.

Hotel Management

Been to Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City? Share your experiences!