“If you want Universal studios location then this is it...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City

You added Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City to your Saves list
Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   555 Universal Hollywood Dr, Los Angeles, CA 91608-1001 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Double Points
Ranked #35 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Mundare, AB
“If you want Universal studios location then this is it...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Booked an executive room on the 24th floor. I've definitely had worse but I've had better just likely nothing better anywhere in this area so if you want to stay close to universal its the nicest. Very annoying that you had to pay 7.95 for every Internet connection each day... So for me I needed for phone and notebook. Higher end hotel that should be included. Valet parking was 24 per night self park 20... Good service at the restaurant but pricey.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Airdrie, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Typical Hilton. Staff were cold and one was even irritated with me. I had booked this hotel 6 months in advance only to fine requested upgrades were not available. When I expressed concern I was given a cold stare and she began tapping her keyboard with force. Must have needed chocolate or a coffee.
Anyway, the room was clean and comfy. Nice view of the highway with lots of background traffic noice 24 hours a day (and we were on the 16th floor!!!)
The restaurant food was very expensive but good
Great location for City Walk and the Studios

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room facing away from the highway
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonUniversal, Manager at Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us this fall. I am disppointed to hear of the service that was provided to you on your visit and would like to apologize for your experience. This is not the level of service we aim to provide our guests as a AAA Four Diamond hotel. We're appreciate your comments, as they provide us the opportunity to make any necessary changes in order to improve our hotel.

We hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Regards,
Hotel Managment
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

If you are visiting Universal Studios and are just looking for somewhere close to rest your head then the location of this hotel is perfect. It's under a 10 minute walk to get to City Walk and the gates of the theme park. The rooms are clean and the bathrooms are new however the decor is rather dated from the pale green textured wall paper, to the brown carpet. The rooms are a decent size but the bathroom is small. Rooms have an empty fridge which is great for storing snacks and water to take to Universal Studios.

The pool area is nice enough and the hot tub was good. The restaurant at the hotel was rather average but as we arrived late in the evening, it was good enough to fill the void. The lifts are very, very, very slow and you are often left waiting for 5 minutes to get up or down.

The major let down for me was the customer service. The check in staff were cold and unhelpful and failed to tell us about free internet in the lobby and the free shuttle to Universal. We had an issue with our air conditioner and no one came to repair it until we called again after another day had passed. I complained to the manager who then reluctantly offered me a free breakfast for 2 - it was 10am and we were meant to be checking out at 11am. I wasn't very impressed at the offer. He didn't event attempt to be sorry for the inconvenience or to provide an alternative compensation. Our flight was leaving at 11pm so we asked if they could do a deal for the extra 12 hours. The response was an overwhelming no and they charged us full price. After I made a fuss, they knocked $50 off the rate as compensation for the air conditioner problem.

Out of principal, I wouldn't stay here again any time soon due to the service experience and would try one of the other hotel chains which is only a couple of minutes further away from Universal Studios.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed here for a night. Quite pricey since its very accesible to Universal studios. No need to drive to the park, just take the shuttle to and from the hotel. The hotel room is big enough and clean. Nice view of the freeway and entrance of universal studios. Bed is comfortable. U have to pay $20 for parking. Buffet at the hotel is very expensive so you're better off eating along the city walk. More choices for restaurants.

Room Tip: if u want something close to niversal studios
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Kristinehamn, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Easy to get to by car and there is a self parking available, if you don't want to pay for valet parking.
Very friendly and helpful staff - as expected at Hilton.
The room was outstanding. Clean of course, but it was spacious and we got a great view.
The pool area was nice and good tempered. The Jacuzzi felt great after a hard day at Universal Studios.
A free shuttle bus takes you to the Universal City area where you find a lot of restaurants and shops.
As a Hilton Honours member, complimentary continental breakfast is included and you can upgrade to the buffet for a small cost. Free Wifi for one hour is also included if you're a member
(a little bit cheap in my opinion...).
We had the dinner buffet which I would not have undone. Pricey, but you find things you've never tasted before - just make sure to be really hungry when you go there.

Room Tip: Before you make a reservation, make sure to sign up for Hilton Honours since you get a continental b...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I've stayed here for business three times in 2012, usually two nights each..

My first stay of the year in February was one of the best hotel experiences I have had in some time. Check in was smooth and efficient, I was given a nice ground floor room with a patio next to the pool. As I was settling in to my room i received a fruit basket (which was just what I needed at the time), and breakfast the next am was great.

Fast forward to September. I had tried to book that ground floor room again. Got a message the night before asking if I really needed a accessible room. I called back immediately saying I did not and wanted the same room as last time - but no one answered and I left a message. When I arrived at the hotel the next day it was clear that no one had listened to my message. I got a different room that was really nothing to write home about. I asked for different options and was told that the hotel was completely sold out. No fruit basket this time either. I liked that the room had the universal charging adapters, but disappointed that it didn't charge my iPad. The stay was fine, but definitely not as good as my one earlier in the year.

Now, I'm back, third visit of the year. I didn't mention it earlier but I'm HHonors Gold. This time, no upgrade, no lounge appetizer/bar coupons, no fruit basket, and no bottled water in my room either. Again told that hotel is completely full. The rooms here clearly don't transcend average, and the declining service for HH elite members has sunk to that level as well.

I had a great stay at Andaz over the hill last year. If i'm not getting any real special treatment for my status here, I might as well just stay there instead.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City? Share your experiences!