“Hotel room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City

You added Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City to your Saves list
Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   555 Universal Hollywood Dr, Los Angeles, CA 91608-1001 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Double Points
Ranked #43 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
“Hotel room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed here for a night. Quite pricey since its very accesible to Universal studios. No need to drive to the park, just take the shuttle to and from the hotel. The hotel room is big enough and clean. Nice view of the freeway and entrance of universal studios. Bed is comfortable. U have to pay $20 for parking. Buffet at the hotel is very expensive so you're better off eating along the city walk. More choices for restaurants.

Room Tip: if u want something close to niversal studios
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kristinehamn, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Easy to get to by car and there is a self parking available, if you don't want to pay for valet parking.
Very friendly and helpful staff - as expected at Hilton.
The room was outstanding. Clean of course, but it was spacious and we got a great view.
The pool area was nice and good tempered. The Jacuzzi felt great after a hard day at Universal Studios.
A free shuttle bus takes you to the Universal City area where you find a lot of restaurants and shops.
As a Hilton Honours member, complimentary continental breakfast is included and you can upgrade to the buffet for a small cost. Free Wifi for one hour is also included if you're a member
(a little bit cheap in my opinion...).
We had the dinner buffet which I would not have undone. Pricey, but you find things you've never tasted before - just make sure to be really hungry when you go there.

Room Tip: Before you make a reservation, make sure to sign up for Hilton Honours since you get a continental b...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I've stayed here for business three times in 2012, usually two nights each..

My first stay of the year in February was one of the best hotel experiences I have had in some time. Check in was smooth and efficient, I was given a nice ground floor room with a patio next to the pool. As I was settling in to my room i received a fruit basket (which was just what I needed at the time), and breakfast the next am was great.

Fast forward to September. I had tried to book that ground floor room again. Got a message the night before asking if I really needed a accessible room. I called back immediately saying I did not and wanted the same room as last time - but no one answered and I left a message. When I arrived at the hotel the next day it was clear that no one had listened to my message. I got a different room that was really nothing to write home about. I asked for different options and was told that the hotel was completely sold out. No fruit basket this time either. I liked that the room had the universal charging adapters, but disappointed that it didn't charge my iPad. The stay was fine, but definitely not as good as my one earlier in the year.

Now, I'm back, third visit of the year. I didn't mention it earlier but I'm HHonors Gold. This time, no upgrade, no lounge appetizer/bar coupons, no fruit basket, and no bottled water in my room either. Again told that hotel is completely full. The rooms here clearly don't transcend average, and the declining service for HH elite members has sunk to that level as well.

I had a great stay at Andaz over the hill last year. If i'm not getting any real special treatment for my status here, I might as well just stay there instead.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights because of its location (opposite Universal Studios) It is very easy to get to by metro line from Downtown LA at a cost of $1.50 per person. The rooms were clean but dated. We were supplied with one T bag and 2 coffe bags and 1 paper cup between 2 adults and 2 children, two attempts to the front desk to request more supplies. The Seafood buffet is very good but expensive considering the amount of restuarants at Universal Studios but gave it a try. (Freshly prepared lobster brought to your table) and heaps of other choices for a 3 course meal.
The pool area is a real let down as the outdoor furniture is so dated though fresh clean towels were provided and the spa was heated to a beautiful temperature.

Room Tip: We paid an extra $9.00 per night for a high floor park view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I booked this hotel to save on transfer costs as we wanted to visit Universal Studios. The hotel has a free shuttle to take you there. We did not use this service as Universal Studios is just across the road and the walk across the bridge was so pleasant. Our experience at this hotel was so good! The staff very super friendly, the rooms were great. The breakfast was not included in our stay but it was not at all expensive and the range of food was fantastic. The service at the restaurant was the best. I would not even consider another hotel if going to Universal Studios. There are so many restaurants nearby at Universal City, the hardest part is deciding where to eat.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We spent 3 nights at this hotel, located high on a hill with a walkway to Universal and CityWalk.
We arrived by metro and the trolley arrived within 2 minutes to help us get up the hill with our luggage.It actually takes you all the way up to CityWalk and then you transfer to the Hotel bus for a one minute ride back down halfway.
The hotel is fresh and although it has been there for years, looks new and modern. WE were so lucky as HH Gold members we were given an upgrade to the 21st floor . The room was a corner alcove and had amazing views of the city, mountains, and the beautiful lights of CityWalk .WE were also given breakfast vouchers for each day. These were only for the Continental style breakfast - cold items like fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese, and pastries, including drinks like orange juice and coffee or tea. IT was fine for us to start the day. If you wanted the hot items, lox or cheeses, it was an upgrade. Next level was $9.00 pp and the hot was almost $20.00 pp but I am not exactly sure of the price.
We enjoyed being able to take the bridge to walk over to Universal and CityWalk. It took less than 5 minutes. We also walked up the hill from the metro ( without luggage) at night as the shuttle stops at 9 pm on some days and 4 pm on others. It took us only 8 minutes . Going down took just 5 minutes. Looks worse than it is!
We spent one sunny day at the pool, which was beautifully landscaped and heated! There were hardly any people there so it was very quiet with music playing on low volume. Very relaxing! Plenty of fluffy towels.
Bed as very comfortable and A/C quiet, so we slept very well.
Loved our stay here !

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City? Share your experiences!