“Everything you need....Perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Garland

You added The Garland to your Saves list
The Garland
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4222 Vineland Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 91602 (Formerly Beverly Garland's Holiday Inn)   |
Ranked #29 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Everything you need....Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

When we arrived at this hotel we were welcomed by a very polite young girl called Sky, she sorted everything out for us and told us which of the two buildings we were staying in.
The hotel was conveniently placed close to universal city and the freeway. It was about a 15 minute drive to places like hollywood boulevard and sunset boulevard.
The rooms were fine and clean with an ensuite bathroom, a balcony and a television. No frills but absolutely nothing to complain about.
There is a fair sized pool, 24hour washing machine area, general store, a ballroom/ function room, a bar, a resturant, computer/internet facilities and an area with safes on the premesis. The pool area was clean with a little bar selling drinks and snacks, hundreds of towels, lots of sunbeds and during the evening a big screen showing disney films for the kids. It was a nice place to just sit and chill out.
The general store sold mainly snacks and souvenirs. The woman running it was very helpful too.
the resturant ''Tula's" was a nice place to go for breakfast and evening meals with an outstanding menu including swordfish. The staff were extremely polite and strived to make your time there perfect.
There were two computers next to the lobby which came in handy for us booking tickets and trips to places.
So from the room service, to the staff to the facilities i cant fault this hotel and i would definately go there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Scott M, General Manager at The Garland, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
JRHalliday: Thanks for the detailed review and all the positive feedback about our hotel and especially our welcoming staff! Hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel on January 27th and had no idea it would take over an hour to do so. I was there using an employee discount card and the Assistant Guest Service Manager, Anna Aurally was unprofessional and very much so, not accommodating. The discount card was faxed over the Friday before arrival and she all but called me liar saying that no one would've told me to fax it because this is against hotel policy. Being in the industry I know that it could bee the policy but at the same time I would never call the guests liar.

My manager had to call but to no avail she too was given the run around. The main switch board didn't pick up so she called other departments trying to get a hills of front desk but no one could help. Now it's an hour and a half and still, not able to check in. Finally, my manager gets a hold of Anna and Anna is relentless...still would check me in.

After all the hassle, my manager asked for Anna's manager and Anna gave her the name Scott Mills. Scott didn't pick up but Ken did. Ken was very accommodating but still no apology.

I would not recommend this hotel as management is not accommodating. I never write reviews but had to get this off my chest. The ownership group should assess their team and teach Anna how to tactfully deal with the guests.

• Stayed January 2013
Scott M, General Manager at The Garland, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
LeighReviews:
We appreciate the feedback on your experience and dealing with delicate situations. We are thrilled so many employees in the IHG system visit us and spend their time in the Los Angeles area at our special property. We strive to keep all guests happy no matter what the circumstance. We have the mindset to always be accommodating while balancing and respecting the guidelines and policy set forth by IHG. In this case, it's a very clear process as in all employee rates that a "white card" or owners card be presented upon check in by the employee. Unfortunately the guest checking in informed the desk that he was not an employee and was unaware of a card needed. The guest was offered to check in immediately at our best available rate, however, that offer was declined. Our manager on duty got involved and spoke to Leigh, and the situation was resolved. We're sorry about the delay and hope there can be some understanding.
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

reading a lot of reviews bagging this place I was a bit...oh no! But fellow Aussies I can tell u ..it's 10/10 don't know what people don't like about it....staff are brilliant ,friendly and helpful.actually Australians could take a leaf out of their books on politeness.clean.safe .and pretty surroundings.we walk the streets of a night and feel so safe.subway is also safe.2 min walk to supermarket,10 min to subway...I'm staying again...we have never felt so welcome...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott M, General Manager at The Garland, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
dbredamire456:
Thanks for supporting us and we're thrilled you had a wonderful stay! We appreciate your kind words about our friendly and helpful staff, our safe location and welcoming environment. We constantly strive to be better and hope to continue to exceed your expectations in the future!
Bakersfield, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Well it's was a very nice hotel right off the 101 so great location. Not much included for the price you pay for breakfast and parking... There's a restaurant on site which was nice... The jacuzzi is outside on a very nice Terrance with fireplace and lots of seating theres a sauna. the pool is heated added bonus.. The room is nice sized clean with lots of towels...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
raychael84:
We appreciate your review of our "very nice" hotel! We're glad you were able to unwind on our property and enjoy the "urban oasis". Our pool area is wonderful for enjoying a nice southern Californian experience!
perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We only stayed one night but I would be back for sure. The rooms were spacious and modern. The shower after a long day shopping was a delight - hot and the pressure was strong. The bed were comfortable and I had a great nights sleep. The restaurant had a great selection on offer and everything we had was fabulous! The location was great in terms of getting to everywhere we wanted to go - Hollywood and Beverley Hills. As a Priority Club Member - they certainly make you welcome on arrival and we go so many little extras that just make our staff even that more special.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Kelstars22:
Thank you very much for the stellar review and we agree - our location is very convenient to all of LA and our restaurant "Tula's" is a wonderful neighborhood gem!
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed in the Beverly Garland in October 2012 for three nights. We wanted to book a deluxe family room for all three nights but due to availability we could only get it for the last night. If you are traveling with children I thoroughly recommend the family room. The separate alcove for the kids with their own tv is great and the room size is enormous. It makes traveling with children just that little bit easier.

The Beverly Garland is situated perfectly for Universal Studios and City Walk. We made use of the free shuttle to go to Universal Studios and then to City Walk for dinner. We would also catch the shuttle back as they run quite late (11pm from memory). The kids spent quite a bit of time at the pool area and it was nice to unwind at the end of a long day in cosy chairs watching the kids swim in a well lit pool.

The only criticism I can make is that one morning we went to breakfast and the queue was outside the door. People were lining up to be seated but there was no communication from staff as to how long the wait might be. I'm guessing we lined up for around ten minutes and then decided to walk as the queue hadn't moved and still no communication from anyone connected with the hotel.

Overall I thought it was a great place to stay and I would come here again. I have stayed in a few Holiday Inn's in the US and this far exceeded my expectations. The hotel is a Spanish inspired oasis in the hustle and bustle of L.A and it made a nice change from your normal run of the mill boring hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Samantha O:
We're so happy you and your family enjoyed our urban oasis here at the Beverly Garland. We have upgraded the hourly shuttle to a vintage trolley that kids of all ages are really enjoying. We're glad you were able to experience the kids deluxe suite for a night as they are very popular and really work well for the traveling family. It's always a great idea to make those reservations early! You are right about our restaurant "Tula's" being very busy for breakfast and we apologize for the lack of communication on the wait time on that particular morning - it's something we typically will manage much better than what you stated. We hope to see you again soon!
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My friend suggested me to stay at this place and I found it very nice. As we drove in, the place looked serene and welcoming. The location was great as it's close to Universal Studio, a small community mall with a few restaurants, supermarkets, and it was a safe neighborhood. The room was clean and enough to accommodate us all. I enjoyed a glass of wine out at the balcony and watching the stars in cool summer breeze. There's an outdoor swimming pool with a bar. They had a free shuttle to Universal Studio and the main transportation links. But some of the front desk staff weren't knowledgeable about the area.- I remembered asking one guy for a restaurant recommendation and he said he didn't know much about the area. He did give me a copy of a list of restaurants to choose from. It'd have been better to have someone in the area with direct experience to recommend the place as I don't live in the country, let alone that neighborhood. Someone recommended me to ask a gift shop keeper and she appeared to have the full knowledge of the area (nice, but why not the front desk staff??). On the check-out date, i had a very bad experience with one of the front desk staff (about a phone bill) and later wrote a complaint email to the guest relation manager. The problem was quickly addressed.

Overall, I'm happy with the facilities but I wouldn't rate high for the service (although they seemed to care about my problem. Hopefully, this has been revamped by now). A word of advice - better not use the hotel's phone to make any call because your phone bill can go through the roof. On a side note, is it normal to request for an extra bed and get an unmade one? Me and my friends had to unfold it (very heavy) and put the sheets, etc on by ourselves everyday. I'm not sure about the standard service level in the US but normally an extra bed is well made in my country (and most countries I've been to).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Nuni_Nunie,

Thank you for the kind words regarding the warmth of the hotel and fabulous location. We appreciate the constructive criticism regarding your experience with restaurant recommendations. Our team is constantly learning about the local neighborhood and staying on top of what's new and exciting, and we're sorry that the ball was dropped during your stay. We hope to see you again on your next visit. Safe travels!

Been to The Garland? Share your experiences!