“A little expensive - but VERY friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Beverly Garland

Save Saved
You added The Beverly Garland to your Saves list
The Beverly Garland
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4222 Vineland Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 91602 (Formerly Beverly Garland's Holiday Inn)   |
Ranked #37 of 323 hotels in Los Angeles
Tillamook, Oregon
“A little expensive - but VERY friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This hotel tried really hard to help us in a bad situation. We had actually made reservations at a different hotel that turned out to be nothing that it's website promised. The staff at this hotel worked hard to accomodate our family.

The negatives were: No free breakfast and the restaurant is very expensive, no free parking, the bathroom was VERY small and we were in a "suite". We stayed for two nights, we told the staff that we did not need complete maid service, but would like clean towels and the blanket (which we got from the closet) for the rollaway was dirty when we took it out of the closet and we needed a clean blanket. The cleaning staff brought in new towels and a clean blanket, but didn't bother to remove any of the dirty ones.

The positives: The staff was very friendly and for the most part helpful. There is a shuttle to and from Universal Studio. The grounds are clean. The hotel was in a nice area and we felt safe and secure.

1,364 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

There has been a gap of 8 years since staying at Beverly Garland's Holiday Inn. In 2004 the property was in need of a renovation to breath life back into a hotel that had good bones.

I recently stayed for 2 nights (December 2012) and immediately noted that there had been a refurbishment which initially looked impressive but on closer inspection noted that the place had really only been "gussied up".

The room was nice-ish but still retained original bathroom fixtures. Trying to control water pressure and temperature was a balancing act. Of more concern was the fact that there was no in room safe. This should be standard for hotels nowadays. I did appreciate the coffee maker though.

Noise can be a slight problem given that the hotel backs onto a major highway. Perhaps the installation of double glazing could be considered.

The location is of course is convenient for those wishing to visit Universal Studios and the hotel provides a regular complimentary shuttle service. This shuttle will also on request drop guests at the Metro Station. I was told that they would also pick you up from the Metro if you called them ahead and it linked to a scheduled service.

Having spent a day walking about shops I called and asked if I could be collected at the Metro. I did this 45 minutes ahead and was told that the shuttle would swing past. I sat and watched as the bus went passed me to Universal Studios expecting that it would collect me on its return which it didn't. I was forgotten and ended up having to walk, not that the distance is great but it was far enough at the end of a long day.

The hotel is a 5 minute walk to a well equipped strip mall which has a large Ralphs Supermarket, Pharmacy and Starbucks. You are also within easy reach (15 minutes) from Tajunga Avenue which has lovely shops and cafes including my favourite Aroma which does great coffee.

The best thing about this hotel is the staff. They were all very friendly and professional. The lady who checked me in was especially lovely.

The hotel certainly has a lovely atmosphere, the public areas have a lodge feel to them, sadly the stone fireplace has been painted a drab grey/blue in an attempt to modernise the look. Wrong. The architecture and internal design should not be tampered with, it is what makes this hotel unique

I believe this hotel has the potential to be the best in North Hollywood. It's competition, the Sheraton and Hilton are both large convention styled hotels and quite generic. Beverly Garland's Holiday Inn just needs to address some of the minor issues that I have noted for it become a solid and reliable choice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Newcastle, NSW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We have stayed at the Beverly Garland's Holiday Inn a few times now and each visit we are very happy with the value for money. The rooms are always clean, well maintained, and are quite spacious. We will definately stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Oswego, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed at the Beverly Garland with a group and I will go back in a heart-beat. Great service, lovely room, great location. The one problem we had and I mean the whole group of us was the internet connectivity. And since we were working we rally could have used reliable connections in the room, not just in the lobby. And the only staff person that was not top notch was the guy on the front desk who I spoke to first about this. He was not so good. But overall, this is one of the best hotel you can stay at when in LA for location, accommodations, price and super staff. I'll be going back for sure.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Sherman, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Had a very nice stay here! The rooms are nice and bathroom is descent. One of the walls was made out of brick so we couldn't hear a peep from anyone next to us! Had a nice balcony. Staff is super friendly! Lady at the concierge desk gave us info about Universal and tours around LA. Can buy a 2 day ticket for the price of 1 to Universal Studios in the boutique ($80). Have a free shuttle to and from Universal and city walk that runs every hour. It's only about a 10 minute ride. They also have a shuttle that goes to and from the airport that costs $25 a person. The hotel restaurant Tula's was nice but a little pricey. My mom and I ate there for breakfast and dinner and was very disappointed with the service. It wasn't busy at all when we went and our servers only came to our table maybe 3 times the entire time we dined. My water never got filled once during breakfast once it was empty and our server was no where to be found to ask. During dinner there was only 2-3 servers plus the host serving in the dining room. They were definitely under staffed then. I over heard other guests at their tables complaining about how long everything was taking also. The bar has happy hour every day 4:30-6:30 with half price food and drinks which is a pretty good deal. They seem to have many events here weddings, conventions, etc. so there can be a lot of people and loud music. Overall we had a pleasant stay and I would definitely recommend staying here!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

My stay at Beverly Garland's Holiday Inn was wonderful. I went to LA to visit my niece and her family who live in North Hollywood. The staff were extremly pleasant and the rooms clean and spacious - with a balcony. The location of this hotel was perfect!!. There was no need to get onto the Freeway to visit a lot of the sights. Tula's restaurant was a nice surprise and we dined there for dinner, breakfast and cocktails. From the hotel, we walked to Ventura Blvd and had a wonderful breakfast at Vivian's Cafe. Along the way, we stopped at conveniently located stores. Although it was a bit cool in LA, the outdoor pool looked inviting. I would certainly stay at the Bevery Garland Holiday Inn again.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room facing Vineland. I stayed in a room in the rear and could hear the fre...