“Holiday Inn Standard: OK.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Garland

You added The Garland to your Saves list
The Garland
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4222 Vineland Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 91602 (Formerly Beverly Garland's Holiday Inn)   |
Ranked #26 of 328 Hotels in Los Angeles
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Salvador, BA
“Holiday Inn Standard: OK.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Convenient location: near Hollywood attractions, close to City Walk and Universal Studios (the hotel offers complimentary scheduled shuttles to Universal Studios), but you need to use a car to go everywhere. You can buy tickets to the park in a store located off the lobby. Very large parking lot. Bellman always available (very nice guys). Cordial and helpful staff. Room: Holiday Inn standard, clean, not large, OK. Bathroom: clean, OK. High: room service; very efficient; we needed to keep a medicine cooled, so they installed a small refrigerator in the room just after requesting. Low: atmosphere, ambiance in the floors (rooms’ corridor); cold, not welcoming, a little bit dark (remembering some haunted buildings in horror movies). In general, an average, not special stay, without problems, though.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

First hotel booked as a package for our four week trip to America. Probably shouldn't have left it to the tour operator! Not the best placed hotel, an hour away from the Airport and 30 minutes from LA central and amenities apart from Universal studios.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
White Plains, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed in the Berverly Garland hotel sharing a room with my sister and had other family members staying in other parts of the hotel for a family party in the area. For me this hotel is okay for a one or two-night stay but I wouldn’t want to be there any longer than that. We had a standard room with two double beds and the room was pretty dark-the cinderblock walls add no warmth to the room and after awhile the room started to become depressing to me-some aspects of the room were very outdated like light switches. It sounds nitpicky to complain about that but it just added to the weird vibe I was getting from the room. The tv channels are very limited in their selection and the wifi was hard to connect to at first and cut out on me a few times. The room was clean which is always a plus but I didn’t find the staff very friendly. There were two things that bothered me though and one of them was the high price they charge for parking when the rooms are nothing spectacular and are expensive. The other annoying thing was the room key cards and hotels that were covered in advertisements for a new movie coming out. I know we are close to Hollywood and all but I don’t like to be subjected to advertising all the time when paying over $200 a night for a room, especially when the advertisement on the key card makes it very hard to see the arrow to put it in the door the right way. I have stayed at cheaper hotels with better amenities and would probably look for something better next time I’m in the area-it was a very underwhelming stay for the price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is near Hollywood boulevard (9 min drive) and near the Universal studios. Nice big rooms, a good surprise relatively to Holiday inn rooms. The hotel have a nice jacuzzi, nice restaurant (Tula) - a bit expensive - we ate breakfast buffet and payed 16.95 dollar per person and the service was just OK. The parking cost us 15$. I would go back again , like i said it's a good surprise for Holiday inn hotel

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I was really fascinated by the service I recieved from Anna at the front desk. I had left my camera at the hotel & by the time I realized I had done so , I was in Anaheim. I called the hotel & spoke to Anna, I told her about my situation and she took my phone number and said she would call me back. I though to myself...great, it's one one of those I will call you back situation just to get rid of you. 5 minutes later she calls back and said that they have it. She asked me if I wanted the camera to be shipped overnight or if I was coming back to pick it up. Keep in mind thatI did not have a car and I just had taken a cab that nearly cost $125. I told her that she could overnight me the camera. She then asked me if its ok that she take the camera to me since she is headed in that direction sometime that afternoon. She could have just simply done her job by mailing me the camera but instead this young lady went out of her way to assure me and help me save time and money. Now that is what you call a service with a heart! Thank you Beverly Garland for having great employees such as Anna.

• Stayed March 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

First the good:
Beautiful setting, almost idylic. A welcome oasis to return to having 'done' Hollywood and Universal. Lovely rooms. The location and rooms are spacious. Free WiFI most welcome.

Now the bad:
Bordering on the offensive, surly reception staff (not all, but too many). Maybe they dream of a career in Hollywood, but they don't deserve their reception desk role at least!

Only a visitor to the hotel will appreciate the amount of space this hotel occupies, and the generous amount of parking that is available. Therefore, to be charged to park a vehicle, in LA, California (where you're considered 'odd' if you attempt to walk anywhere) is just greedy, especially considering this is not ian nexpensive hotel.

Must try harder to match the guest experience to the splendour of the surroundings!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The hotel is a quiet oasis away from the hustle and bustle. Rooms have no safe and no bar fridge which makes it difficult when travelling with a little one. NIght staff were very un helpful and rude upon arrival, however the day staff were fantastic and the menu at Tula's was fantastic value and child friendly. Free shuttle to Universal Studios was great!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the freeway it can be very noisy!