“The BEST Chicken Parmesan I've Ever Eaten” 4 of 5 stars

(323) 254-9138
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Colombo's Italian Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,473 of 8,645 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Steakhouse
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hermosa Ave
Franklin, TN
“The BEST Chicken Parmesan I've Ever Eaten”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

For nearly 60 years, Colombo's has occupied their small parcel of land in the area of Los Angeles called Eagle Rock. Dwight D. Eisenhower built the 5 (I-5) yet Colombo's kept on serving food. Los Angeles kept growing north and south and still Colombo's made everyone feel welcome.

Walking into Colombo's is like walking onto a movie set portraying old LA. Red half-moon booths line the walls under original paintings in ornate frames. (All of the paintings are for sale with price tags clearly visible). Small tables dot the space between the booths.

I've eaten here four times and never had a bad experience. I've been seated quickly, served soft drinks quickly, but never felt rushed as I looked over their multi-faceted menu.

For my first visit, I played it safe. I ordered the Chicken Parmesan so that I could compare it with other dishes I've eaten around the country. This was easily the best I've ever had. Their sides are delicious, too, as is the bread they serve table side.

Live music is a special touch. I live in Nashville where even the local yogurt shop has live music on the weekends. It's everywhere. I've become accustomed to live music. However, I'll never forget one night at Colombo's. Instead of a small jazz trio or combo, they hosted a pianist and a solo vocalist. I wish I had written down their names and searched for them online. They played and sang as one person. They must have performed these standards a thousand times. I was so captivated that I kept requesting songs (My table was in arm's reach of the tip jar). I couldn't stump them... no matter the genre.

Colombo's feels old because it is. If you are eating before sunset, you'll know every time a new guest arrives. When the door opens, light explodes in to the windowless restaurant. The darkness is cozy, private, intimate.

Colombo's feels old, but that doesn't mean Gordon Ramsay needs to storm in and change anything. (Hey Gordon, just send them some new carpet... it's looking a little worn in the high traffic areas.)

My only complaint about the restaurant is parking. The lot doesn't look (or feel) like it's been paved since they opened in 1954. There are very few spaces and most guests will have to park on a nearby residential street and walk a block or so to eat there. I've never been to Colombo's when the lot wasn't full.

Full disclosure: The radio station with which I do frequent business gave me several gift certificates to this restaurant since it was close to my hotel. My only expenses were for tip and tax. (I would've paid to eat here and look forward to eating again if I return to this part of LA)

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Arcadia, California
“Good Food with Free Music”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This has been my family's favorite restaurant for years. They have different musicians performing there every night. Love them all. Their steak and seafood are all wonderfully prepared. It's difficult to choose among the menu. I love the bread they serve. Garlic butter and hot and crispy. My problem is I always stuff myself with the bread before my ordered food comes. Guess what? I end up taking a big portion of my food home for next day's consumption.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Santa Barbara, CA
“An offer you can't refuse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Why just watch The Soprano's when you can live it. The days of dark, windowless restaurants with tufted, red-leather booths live on at Colombo's. This is a place where I'm pretty sure everybody who works there has a first name that ends in "ie" or "y" as in, Vinnie, Tony or Angie. What makes the place even more endearing is that their food is great. No, you won't find any arugula, black truffles or citrus-garlic aioli here, but you will find great Italian dish, pasta and sauces, perfectly cooked steaks and huge, expertly-prepared cocktails. This place has been around for over 55 years and there's a reason it has lasted. They also have live music. The night we were there they had a jazz violinist with a piano accompanist. They were just the right touch, with a repertoire that spanned from the 20's to the present with a little classical music thrown in just for good measure. This place is not just a restaurant, it's an experience, and an authentic one at that.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sacramento, California
“Old style .. definitely has character”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

My family has been coming here for years. Good service good food and love the live music. It's old school.... red leather booths, piano playing in the back ground all it's missing is old blue eyes singing a tune.

Visited April 2012
Los Angeles
“Loved it ... but too pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

This is a local restaurant that has been around for years. We live close by and went years ago and didn't like it... too dark and smokey (that's back when smoking was allowed!). This past year we started using 'restaurant.com' certificates to go there, and found we love it. The food is always good, it is no longer smokey and so the dark atmosphere is cozy.

However, in December they decided not to honor the restaurant.com certificates... we left without eating as the one thing that has not changed is that they are just too expensive. Too bad.... we did enjoy going but won't any more.

• Visited November 2011