“Day Rate Stay” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cumberland, Wisconsin
“Day Rate Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

We stayed at the Sheraton Gateway on a day rate as our flight came into LAX at 9am and our flight to Auckland didn't leave until 11:30pm that night. Called the day before to reserve and upgraded to the club level. This included breakfast and hors d'oeuvres with drinks at 5. The day rate club level was $170 for 4 people-1 room.

Took the shuttle from the airport to the hotel, checked in. Room was not ready (even though they had said our rental was from 9am to 6pm) so we left our luggage and went up to the Club Level room and had breakfast. Got into our room and after luggage arrived we headed out to catch the trolley to Manhattan Beach. Enjoyed the day walking the beach and pier, having lunch along the beach and enjoying a few drinks at a couple of the bars. Took the trolley back to the hotel, showered, changed clothes and enjoyed a couple of cocktails and the hors d'oeuvres in the Club room, then checked out. Caught the shuttle back to the airport.

Had a couple of minor issues with the hotel - first the room wasn't ready upon arrival even though they specifically told me the rental was from 9am to 6pm. We almost missed breakfast because they quit serving at 10. Luckily we got there just before that time so were able to take advantage of the breakfast that is a part of the Club Rate.

Second issue was the number of towels in our room. We specifically said we had 4 people in our room and we paid extra because of that fact but they only had 2 bath towels in the bathroom. We called for more towels but they didn't bring them until after we had to be ready to check out (two of us dried off with the hand towels).

Not major issues but irritating at the time. We were happy that we had a place to leave our luggage so we could do something other than hang around the airport all day/evening.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lancaster, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

I am an SPG gold member and often stay at this hotel when in LA. Absolutely one of my favorites. Rafael at the front desk was great. Pool is awesome. Valet is pricey, but convenient. I think it is $24 a day. Self Parking is $15. Starbucks in lobby, thats if you need to go down there.Because starbucks cofee is also in the room.Have stayed at this hotel approximately 6 or 7 times and have always ejoyed my stay. Great staff, all of them. Free wifi for SPG gold & Platinum members. Nice gym area. And thats all i can think of.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Fredericton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

We wanted a hotel that was close to the airport but good value for money the last night of our holiday. Went middle of the road with a club room which we thought offered us a decent room and access to a club lounge with free drinks in the evening. The room was ok. The only thing in the bathroom was soap, shampoo and cream rinse. Not good for a club room, you even had to ring housekeeping if you wanted a shower cap. Soft drinks only free in the club lounge everything else on honor bar (not what I found advertised). Good service in the bar/restaurant. Would not stay again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

Recently stayed at the Sheraton Gateway LAX and absolutely loved it. I spent about an extra $20 on the room rate for a room on the "Club Floor" and I would say it was money well spent. Top floor, excellent view of arriving and departing aircraft (for people like me who love that kind of thing), free wifi and free breakfast in club lounge (which also has a great view over the airport). Very nice hotel, Paparazzi restaurant is well rated (althought I didn't eat there, I read a number of reviews) and the food in the lobby bar is good and reasonably priced. I have stayed at a number of the major hotels around LAX however this one was definitely my favorite. Very nice room and bathroom. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010 via mobile

Amazing place to stay! Wednesday wii tournament is the greatest! Make sure you eat at paparazzi, food is to die for and if your lucky you'll get Joe (Joseph S.) as your waiter. His exceptional level service is only surpassed by his "man prettyness"

It was a great stay from the second I walked in the door til the last step on my way out!

• Stayed June 2010
Charleston, SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

I stayed here two night for a conference held at the hotel. Check in was ok. No free wi-fi except in the lobby. Fortunately, my room was on a low floor and I could still pick up the signal from the lobby. If you don't want to pay for wifi, try requesting something on the 3rd or 4th floor. Walls are paper thin; I had to listen to my neighbors watching tv one night till after 1 am. My room had an odd smell to it - not offensive exactly, but not pleasant. I heard they allow pets in the room, and the smell could be pet stains covered up with cleaner.

Nothing to brag about with the hotel really. If I needed to stay at the airport, and I got a steal, I'd stay here again. But paying $150 a night, next time I'll stay at someplace else close by and walk to the conference.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
St Louis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

Front desk agent did not smile upon arrival. Concierge was standing around looking at me with four luggages after a long flight. Several employees passed by me without saying hello!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles? Share your experiences!