“perfect layover hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Grand Cayman
“perfect layover hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I had 1 night in LAX and this was perfect. An easy walk from the airport, about 10minutes, room was large and very confortable bed. I caught a cab to Venice (approx $25) and walked along to Santa Monica, ate, shopped and watched a brilliant sunset before heading back to the hotel for great dinne
r in the bar and a perfect martini. Next morning checked out from my room and walked back to the airport. All very easy.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
SheratonGatewayLAX, General Manager at Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for your kind review of the Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel. Your one night with us sounds ideal and that is what we want for each of our guests. We are so glad you enjoyed the comfort of your Sheraton Sweet Sleeper™ Bed and that you were able to get out and see some of the local sights. As you point out, our location is convenient for people passing through Los Angeles International Airport and also close to some of California’s best beaches. We hope you’ll be back to stay with us again for another restful and relaxing stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed two separate nights in one week to go to Jacksonville then back through LA. First room was directly looking onto the runways. Yes, as others have pointed out you can hear the planes quite a bit but I put my room fan on, my Koi Pond on my iPhone and slept really well. The beds are super comfy. Room was really clean. The staff were super friendly, from check in to the Concierge. I had time to kill so the concierge suggested the bus to Manhatten Beach. So glad I did that - quick 20mins there and $5 return - deal! Quick shuttle to the hotel - can't be beat. And...on my return visit I stayed in a room away from runway - what a difference! So quiet. So....if you have kids - runway view. Need sleep - different view :). Starbucks in the lobby is a great plus too. I'd definitely stay over here again if I have another very early morning flight to catch.

Room Tip: See review - but choose a room away from the runways if you want quiet....
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind comments and your review of the Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel. It is very gratifying to know you considered your stay with us to be excellent. That’s what we want to be for each guest – a conveniently located hotel with comfortable, quiet rooms and outstanding service. As you point out, we’re also close to several area attractions, and we’re glad you got to do some sightseeing on your brief visits. Please come back again for a chance to explore the area further, and for another dose of our Southern California hospitality.
Sugar Land, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I got stuck in LA for 24 hours and I'm sure glad Qantas put me up in this hotel. I was so upset about getting stuck in LAX when American and Qantas messed up my flights. They had a free shuttle from the airport that picked us up at 2am (yup, it was a rough night). They set us up in some nice rooms with large bathrooms. The beds were comfortable and the room were spacious. I thought we'd be able to hear the planes with the airport being so close, but we were pleasantly surprised that we heard nothing! We actually had a total of 5 rooms and they were all great. We shopped in the small store for necessities since we were sans luggage and found it well stocked. We enjoyed hanging out in the large lobby and eating at the restaurants. The front desk staff was helpful and pleasant. The pool looked awesome and we would have taken a dip if we had bathing suits, it was too bad they were in our luggage stuck in the airport.

I didn't have to pay for this hotel, BUT I travel enough to say this hotel gets it right. The shuttle, the food, the beds, the large bathrooms.... it's all good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
SheratonGatewayLAX, General Manager at Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Being stuck is no fun, but all of us at the Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel are pleased that we were able to help turn your bad situation around. In one day, you were able to discover and enjoy much of what we offer – spacious rooms, friendly and professional service, a convenient, free shuttle to and from Los Angeles International Airport, a relaxing lobby, outstanding dining, and finally, comfort and quiet so our guests can get some rest. We hope you’ll be back to see us again, with your luggage, for another superb stay.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Excellent hotel to get room for layover at LAX airport. We had a long day to fill in with bags. Well worth a room rate to have the convenience of bag storage, shower etc. wonderful staff at brasserie. Child well catered for. Handy for day trip around LA. Excellent shuttle service to/from airport. Highly recommend for layover.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for your excellent review of the Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel. We see many layover guests and it is our goal to make their short stays restful and relaxing. It is gratifying to know that is what you experienced. We are pleased you enjoyed The Brasserie and will pass along your kind words to the staff. As you note, we are near Downtown Los Angeles, Hollywood and other great attractions and areas to explore. It’s good to hear that you were able to see some of the sights. Please come back for another visit. We’ll do all we can to make it another great stay.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Typical medium standard US airport hotel, definitely needs a renovation. Rooms might have been state of the art 30 years ago. Advantage - shuttle to LAX, but no reason to book other than you need to be close to the airport.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your comments after your recent stay with us. Our goal is to offer each guest a clean, comfortable room in which to refresh, relax and rest. We hope that is what you found during your visit. We are pleased you enjoyed the convenience of our free, 24-hour shuttle to and from Los Angeles International Airport and hope you’ll be back for another stay. We will do our best to provide you with outstanding accommodations and service.
Seattle, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Checked in late afternoon mid-week and within minutes was in my room-- they are efficient, quick, and professional. I booked the club level and got the club level so no real upgrade for a SPG Gold but that was fine. The room was clean, spacious, and very comfortable and quiet. The beds are very comfortable; the bathrooms clean while small.

The club lounge was a nightmare the nights I was there. There was a convention group in town and each night they took over the lounge, brought people up on the elevator from other floors, rearranged the furniture in the lounge so they could all sit together, and were excited to eat the food that was out for club guests along with the pizza they had ordered from outside the hotel not to mention how loud they were. Both nights I couldn't enjoy, only on the morning I was leaving. When I called the first night to mention this to management, the person who answered laughed nervously and said there should be an attendant up there. Not a lot of help. The second night I didn't even bother when I saw the group and people coming up on the elevator. When I mentioned this a second time on check out the kind desk clerk did offer me 2000 SPG points for my trouble. In the future, I wouldn't pay to book the more expensive club floor-- seems you can get up there regardless of whether you pay or not.

Other than that, great hotel and easy access to all the venues I needed.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the elevator are the best.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words regarding the Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel. It is very gratifying to know you received professional, courteous service and found your room to be clean, spacious, comfortable and quiet. That is our hope for each of our guests. It’s unfortunate that your enjoyment of the Club Lounge was affected by a large group staying at our hotel. We want each guest to feel cared for, whether traveling alone or as part of a convention. Our staff does its best to resolve any issues or concerns, and we believe the response of our desk clerk demonstrates that commitment. We value you as a guest and hope to welcome you back to the hotel again to show you that customer satisfaction is our primary goal.
Maui, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Just spent 1 night here. Location close to LAX is superb. Shuttle service extremely convenient, had to wait less than 2 minutes each way. Rooms are fair size but definitely in need of some upgrading. Inconvenient access to bathroom. Bar service downstairs superb. Very attentive wait staff. Have stayed here previously and okay if you're not expecting 5 star rooms. Front desk staff not real friendly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed our location near Los Angeles International Airport and our free, 24-hour shuttle service to and from the airport. It is also good to hear that your received outstanding service in our lounge. We want each guest to receive courteous and professional attention throughout the hotel, and we will use your comments to further focus on that task. It is great to have you as a repeat customer. We look forward to your next visit when we will do all we can to impress you with our accommodations and customer service.

Been to Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles? Share your experiences!