“Staff great, building not.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Los Angeles Airport Marriott

You added Los Angeles Airport Marriott to your Saves list
Los Angeles Airport Marriott
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5855 West Century Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90045 (LAX Area)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #61 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Portland, OR
“Staff great, building not.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2009

First stay at the LA Airport Marriott. More to say than I have time to write, but in a nutshell:

1. Overall, staff and service are excellent. Van at the front desk is a model example of not only making you feel welcome, but getting the job done so that you are really and truly more comfortable.

If you happen to be a member of the Concierge Club on the 16th floor or can get it added as a perk, the service there is also extremely friendly and they serve a good complimentary breakfast (in room breakfast is way overpriced), afternoon hors d'ouvres, late night deserts and have free computer access (the FedEx center downstairs charges .40 cents a minute! What?!).

Vuksan in their JW Steakhouse is a fabulous server.Food was quite good, although I only ordered appetizers because the mains are so pricey.

2. Building itself is the biggest problem. It seems that they have been working on renovations, but the age of the facility keeps creating problems. Here's one: the ventilation system. I checked in, and immediately out, of three different rooms because the A/C made the same horrible whistling sound. According to the maintenance, this happens when small pieces of insulation in the ducts stick out and catch the airflow, and there is nothing that can be done... Absolutely crazy making noise is you are sensitive!

The roll away bed I ordered seemed to also be from 1950, and it is painful to sleep on -- not just soft like most roll aways, but more like a box spring. You can feel the coils everywhere!

The workout room is fine, with numerous treadmills w/ built in TV's and weight machines.

Service: A
Facilities: B
Building itself: C-

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Indonesian first
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

Although it's an airport hotel expectations are higher when it's a Marriott, but they really shouldn't be at the Marriott LAX.

Courtesy shuttle was fine, arriving at the hotel it's nothing to look at from the outside, the lobby isn't very inviting too, it has all the restaurants leading off it and all looks a little dismal and dated. Check in was OK and whilst I had requested a high floor was only given floor 8. The rooms are typical Marriott that have been refurbished and have good beds and nice bed linen, however, rooms are small with really tiny bathrooms. We ate in the high end restaurant on the evening, nothing good about this at all and very pricey, OK it's an airport and it's also LA but it really should be better, my guess is the sports bar is a better choice and better value! The pool area is nicely done and if you have time it looks really good but that seems about the best part along with the fitness room which was also good but there really must be better hotels in the area and the Renaissance certainally looked it, this will be the for me the next time we are in the area.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2009

Almost everything went our way when we stayed at the Los Angeles Airport Marriott. The courtesy shuttle pulled up to the stop at our terminal just as we were walking out. A couple minutes later we pulled into the hotel. From the outside, the hotel doesn’t look like much. The entry into the lobby, however, is very nice.

The bellhop brought our bags to the bell captain. We were arriving at midnight, but this capable airport hotel is accustomed to late arrivals and ours posed no problem to the reservation desk (we had rung ahead to confirm, of course). We were given a room with a king sized bed on the eighth floor, away from the elevator. The bell captain brought our bags to our room.

The rooms are not big, but they are nicely furnished. Not too dated. The fixtures and furniture aren’t too cheap. Our room was almost spotless. It had been cleaned to a very high standard. Except, the windows did need a clean, but I wasn’t too concerned. The soundproofing is adequate. I heard very little jet noise, and we were practically on the tarmac, the hotel is so close to LAX. I heard a few doors closing in the hallway in the morning, but otherwise it was quiet enough.

There isn’t a mini bar in the room, but ice and vending machines are nearby. The downstairs bar was closed on our arrival, but I suppose we could have ordered drinks from room service. The bed was very comfortable. Unfortunately we did not receive the feather free linens that we had requested. Nice LCD television. No problems accessing the internet ($12.95 for 24 hours, includes local calls and domestic long distance). We appreciated the safe. Enough room for our many bags.

The bathroom is small, but again it has nice fixtures. Good tub and ample pressure from the shower head. Plenty of hot water.

Complimentary USA Today in the morning. Complimentary tea and coffee is available in the room. We did not order breakfast from room service. We liked the Starbucks in the lobby. We got a couple lattes and breakfast rolls. I wish Starbucks had had croissants!

Unfortunately, during our stay, only the hotel restaurant was open (not the sports bar, which we thought had the most appealing menu, or the steak restaurant). The child was not inclined to sit down for a meal at the restaurant, so we had to skip it.

One of the best things about this hotel is the outdoor pool area. The heated pool is huge, with a large area that is only two feet deep. The child loved it. The pool is on the ground level, and is surrounded on all four sides by the hotel. Very sheltered. There is a hot tub/jacuzzi as well. Lots of lounge chairs and nice outdoor landscaping make it the perfect place to get some sun. There are amenities for smokers in this area, and this space is large enough that you probably wouldn’t even notice them lighting up. No food is allowed by the pool.

The gym looked well equipped, but I didn't have a chance to use it. Lots of meeting room space at the hotel. A convenience shop is also at the hotel. There is a business centre and a place to print out boarding passes.

We ordered room service for lunch. We got a hamburger and fish tacos. They tried to accommodate the child’s food allergies, but I recommend that if you need a special order, you be very specific and quiz them on all ingredients to assure that everything is okay. Still, very good service and we were quite happy with our meal.

We ordered a wake-up call so we could have an afternoon nap, and it worked. The clock in the room worked as well, although the last guest had set it 30 minutes fast. Another tea and coffee from the Starbucks. Nice one.

We requested and were granted a very late checkout of 5:00 p.m. We used the express check out service. There was supposed to be an additional charge, but it did not appear on our final bill, despite discussions with At Your Service and the reservation desk. I guess the charge was waived. Um, good?

This hotel is a busy airport hotel. Lots of business travellers, airline crews and layover folks like us. The hotel staff was friendly and accommodating. Again, the hotel has an inviting lobby, and a lot of guests were hanging out there, during the morning and in the afternoon.

On checking out, the bellman arrived promptly to assist us with our bags. We had to wait about ten minutes for the complimentary shuttle, which runs about every 25 minutes but is not on a schedule.

No problems being dropped off at our terminal, although if you are flying Qantas like we were, be sure to double-check your terminal, as Qantas has desks in TWO international terminals.

Happy to recommend the LAX Marriott. Don’t confuse it with the Marriott Courtyard, which is nearby. If you don’t expect too much, the LAX Marriott is a great airport hotel. If we have another LA layover, the LAX Marriott will be our top choice.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Atascadero, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

My daughter and I went to this Marriott for a convention. Being an asociate of the Marriot, and knowing how our hotel is, I was looking forward to the trip.
We arrived at 11pm, I jumped in the shower, in the middle of washing my hair the water turned ice cold. I called the front desk, told the receptionist and she said, "And what exactly would you like me to do about this?" I was transferred five times before being offer a 2nd level room. Due to being very noise sensitive I had originally requested an upper lever room (we started on the 7th floor) but it was 1am, and I wanted to take a hot shower and get to bed.
Got to bed at 3am, and was awoken at 9am by screaming and loud music coming from the pool. Called the front desk again, got the run around, was told they were to occupancy, on and on. I was finally transferred to "The Friendly Manager" (??), that is what they called her, who apologized and transferred us to the 14th floor.
So there was our third room, and we left for the day.
Next morning we left early, my daughter returned to the room at 8:15, was washing up and a knock on the door from housekeeping, wanting to clean our room. We had been out of the room for over 12 hours.
She called me, I went to the front desk, was met by a "deer in the headlights stare" and the she pointed to the houseman! He tracked down the head of housekeeping, who asked if I wanted the room cleaned right then. I was going up to shower and go to bed, it was 10:30 by that time, so I told her what items we needed. I got up to the room, housekeeping had gotten there before their very slow elevators got me up, some of the items were left on one of the beds, but they had forgotten half of them!
The last day of our conference was Sunday, so we had checked out that morning. The conference ran late and ended at 11:00. Rather than stay the night there again, I decided to head north and find a Courtyard. We found and older Courtyard in Oxnard and it was wonderful!
As a side note, on my first phone call to the front desk, she asked if I was an associate. I said yes, she asked if I worked at a Courtyard, yes, she had the nerve to tell me that "they were a full service Marriott" so things were a little different. I got the strong feeling she was looking down her nose at me, due to the fact I worked at a Courtyard rather than a "full service"! I asked if she were treating me this was due to the fact I was an associate, she said she treated everyone the same. I told her I felt bad for her guests if they were all being treated as we were, and I would never dream of treating a guest to our hotel in the manner in which I was being treated.
The ONLY people who were nice was the maintainance gentleman who came up to check the shower, and the bell man, Jerry, who moved our bags for us.
If you don't care if you are treated like a number, pay $14/day for internet, $20+/night for parking, and just rudeness, try the LAX Marriott.
I work at the Courtyard Marriott in San Luis Obispo. I could not wait to get back to work where the entire staff is friendly and would bend over backwards to accomodate a guest. This is not because we are told to, but because we want to. The employees at the LAX Marriott, could use a weekend stay at our hotel to learn some service skills and a better attitude.
As an associate I get a huge discount so this shouldn't matter to me, right? Well, if I could do it over again, I would have stayed at a different hotel and paid full price if it would have made the stay even a little nicer.
I could not imagine paying full price then paying all the junk fees, for what? A "full service" hotel. The only "full service" they provide, is valet parking and bell men.
Save yourself and stay elsewhere.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

I stayed here for 3 nights during my recent holiday.

When I checked in, Daniel was on the registration desk and he was extremely nice and helpful. He also gave us complimentary water bottles on arrival.

My room was very nice apart from the fact that the bath tap was dripping constantly and as it was a large hotel, it was about a 5 min walk to get to my room from reception.

There was a Starbucks and a restaurant inside the hotel which had prompt service.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
New England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2009

For an "airport" hotel, this one's pretty good!

The set-up and rooms are a little dated, but service and overall organization are well above par for the genre'.

I enjoyed the in-house restaurant is good (there are two [a commendation in itself for an aiport hotel!].. I ate at the upscale one...) the bar is good too... despite the "sports-bar" ambiance.

The shuttle is a "shared" one with other airpot hotels, but works very well and seems to be reliable.

Rooms clean and secure. Wake-up call on time, alarm clock worked.

A good choice and excellent value in an airport hotel!

Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2009

I stayed in this property for two nights during my recent trip to the West Coast. I stayed in other airport hotels before for short stays, stop over, etc., and this is by far the best airport hotel I stayed in. This is partly because I had little expectation for an airport hotel any more.

I studied tripadvisor reviews and other discount hotel sites (hotwire, priceline)to get a good hotel of good value, and learned that Marriott and Courtyard was the only two hotel that were not listed in hotwire and priceline (I may be wrong), which made me decide to stay in this property.

I was worried that Marriot hotels tend to be frilly and decorated with flower-oriented motifs (no offense to those who like them!), all of which makes me dizzy and tired. However, this hotel was not entirely but almost free of those decorating features.

The bathroom was well updated and had separate two sinks, which was convenient. The business center was very well-equipped and convenient, too.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Been to Los Angeles Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!