“Not bad-Not Good” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Los Angeles Airport Marriott

Save Saved
You added Los Angeles Airport Marriott to your Saves list
Los Angeles Airport Marriott
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5855 West Century Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90045 (LAX Area)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #61 of 322 hotels in Los Angeles
“Not bad-Not Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights after a flight from Australia before heading onto our final destination. We have stayed here several times before as we are Marriott Platinum members and like the use of the Executive Club, which by the way, is closed on weekends. The rooms are rather small but not unusually so for an airport hotel. The rooms are a bit tired and the bed mattress in our room may have been at the end of it's replacement cycle. We ordered several meals in-room and were not disappointed. Most staff were very friendly and did their jobs well. There are a few restaurants lobby level and a well-stocked gift shop that sells some decent wines as well. The television was of good quality but when playing in-room movies the sound was not loud enough to hear well. We have experienced this on other stays so it must be the movie system. Now for the Executive Club. The snacks were very sub-standard with the veggies being discolored and wilted. Very low quality snacks as well and few as compared to other Clubs at other Marriotts. Alcohol comes at a charge also, which is not true of other Marriott properties. When I discussed this with a manager who happened to be in the club, he challenged me to name a US club where alcohol was free. When I named one his response was that it was a sister club not a Marriott. I had named an "Autograph" hotel . This lone manager was the down point of our stay. I should have discussed the shabbiness of his lounge. If you intend to stay here for the concierge level go elsewhere. Also I went to the club for breakfast at 8:55am and all the food was gone. Not even a cup of hot coffee. Why the rush to close? I have never experienced this and my partner and I landed up with a 40USD room service bill for breakfast. The customer does not come first or second at his Executive Club. I have just canceled my reservation here for November and will stay at the Renaissance nearby. Again did I mention we are Platinum Members?

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

1,395 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Alameda, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I'm cheap. I got a package rate through southwest of $89/night, which was very reasonable indeed and worth every penny. I've stayed in some real dives and this was NOT one of them.

I was there for the Castle TV convention. Castle is a really wonderful comedy/drama/crime procedural show starring Nathan Fillion, Stana Katic, Seamus Dever, Jon Huertas, and a great supporting ensemble cast. Sometimes it's funny as heck, sometimes it's scary as heck, sometimes it's exciting and occasionally it's sad, but it's always well-written and entertaining. Also, if you're an X Files fan, a lot of the production crew including Rob Bowman are involved. So watch it, because it's great. One quibble: I was there for a Castle convention. Why was Castle not on the on-demand list of recent shows one could watch? Bones was!

Back to the hotel. I got kept waiting for a few minutes and the concierge upgraded both me and the friend waiting with me to free wifi in our rooms. I got a free shaving razor delivered to my room instead of having to go down to a vending machine and buy one. Every single staff member I encountered seemed sincerely friendly and showed a desire to be helpful.

My room was clean and very comfortable with an extraordinarily ugly view of parking lots and the hotel across the way, but that's what drapes are for, I guess! :-) The bed made me realize I need a new mattress because I woke up feeling wonderful. NICE white cotton sheets. The bathroom ventilation system was a mixed blessing: it wasn't super-efficient so after a shower it took a while to de-fog the mirror and my bedroom was a bit muggy. Also there was no fan to switch on. But on the positive side, there was no fan noise, which I just HATE. So the quiet was worth a little extra steam. Speaking of quiet, there was some kind of teenage politicians-in-training convention, and while they were a bit noisy around the elevators, that noise didn't translate to my room. The hotel is well insulated against sound and vibration, especially considering we were right by the airport. Well done.

I went to downtown Hollywood with a group to see some sites, and another concierge (who was, incidentally, incredibly handsome) made the very smart suggestion of hiring a limo/SUV instead of calling cabs. It worked out to be about the same as we would have spent individually for a cab, and it was very comfortable and pleasant except for the Christmas music in the first limo.

Apparently the gym was out of commission onsite but they had worked out a deal with the local gym. I had a cold so I didn't pursue it.

One thing I would have really appreciated: a coffee maker or microwave. Usually they're available in a room of this price range. The Starbucks was understaffed and there were long lines both there and at the cafe. BTW - even though I sat alone and just had a bowl of (very good) minestrone at the cafe, the waitress was attentive and very sweet.

All in all, it was a great experience, and I'd stay there again.

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed at the Marriott LAX on a layover. The room was comfortable with especially nice bed linens. Carpet seems to have been laid without padding, so it's a very hard surface. Large bathroom with complicated (to me) controls for the shower over the tub and the tub surface is slippery. (I put a towel down in the tub). I really missed an in room coffee pot or hot water. Yes, there's room service and during the day, Starbucks in the lobby. But for those who don't want to pay big bucks for room service or get dressed to go to Starbucks, no luck.

Shuttle to/from the airport was very efficient.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Winston Salem, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Unless you HAVE to stay AT the airport, look elsewhere.

First of all, I will start out this review by saying I’m not a big fan of LA. From a business prospective, It’s noisy, congested and expensive, but my job takes me all over the US and I deal with it.

I stayed in room 1502, a King room overlooking the airport. Apparently my Gold Marriott rewards status didn’t qualify me for a better location in an empty hotel. Despite getting in at 2:00am I should have changed rooms.

I don’t see why you would stay here. Granted it’s a “Marriott”, but an old one. I have to think in this price range there are better possibilities.

PRO's:

• Very good beds and excellent pillows. Nice down duvet.
• Updated décor throughout room and hotel, though not “upscale”
• LG 32” flat screen TV
• Solid surface counters with tile floors in bathroom.
• room was clean
• Small seating area with table
• Has small fridge

CON’s:

• EXPENSIVE. I just stayed at the JW Marriott last week and while expensive, I felt I received a good value for my dollar. Not so here. Continental breakfast is $15+, eggs/bacon $25
• Moderate to severe noise. Mostly planes as you can see the runway from the rooms, but there is a trucking terminal across the street which made as much noise as the planes. Fire station is just down the road.
• Painfully slow valet. I ended up self parking which STILL costs $28. I believe valet was $34
• No Microwave
• $10 Fee for wireless (although mine was comped)
• Construction on site, some areas roped off, difficult to park, walk into hotel.
• Older properties have smaller rooms than newer properties. This one is no exception.
• Slow internet

WORK AREA

• The work desk was good size, with a mediocre chair. Only 2 outlets for electronics

Breakfast/Food

One pleasant surprise was the concierge lounge on the 16th floor which was included with my room. It was large and well stocked and had an excellent continental breakfast and some hot choices such as prefab scrambled eggs and bacon.

SCORE: This is a subpar property for the money. I would give this property an 80/100 overall and an 60/100 for value. Look elsewhere and get as FAR away from the airport as you can. It is very busy virtually ALL the time. The FedEx terminal is at this end of the runway and they run when the commercial jets are done for the night.

Room Tip: Stay away from the runways at a minimum, look elsewhere if you actually want to sleep
Sao Paulo, SP
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I hate this hotel... They have this all fancy image.. you pay a fortune to stay there and they have bad rooms. Our room had an broken door closed with an awful metal plaque, where is all the fanciness that I payed for? .. you have to pay a fortune to park a car in their parking lot... you have to pay another fortune to use the internet.. they don't offer anything, like breakfast, include in the price..
The only good thing about this place is their pool... the have a beautiful and warm pool, great after a tiring day sight seeing...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

For an airport hotel, this was very nice. Many airport hotels feel like a "guest" mill where people are just rolled in and rolled out with little concern for customer service. This Marriott, however, went the extra mile. Check in was easy and the front desk staff was friendly and informative. The room was small but nicely furnished. There was a refrigerator that was actually usable (not filled with honor bar stuff).

There were three restaurant choices. Sports bar, steak house, and middle of the road. Also a Starbucks stand. Food was typical average Marriott with overpriced drinks. But again the service was great.

Hotel shuttle very convenient. Need to be sure that you give yourself plenty of time as it takes a while for the bus to load up, and usually there are lots of stops at various terminals.

Workout facility and pool looked nice with lots of people using. Location is great. Right across from the rental car agencies so I literally dropped off my rental car and walked to the hotel. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Its an airport hotel....you don't come for the view.
Pleasanton, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed at this hotel unexpectedly when our 10 year old daughter got very sick on our way home from Costa Rica. She was throwing up on the plane, and we didn't want to put her in a car for the 6+ hour drive the rest of the way home. We made a reservation through hotels.com (I think) and showed up. Unfortunately it was pretty early in the day and they didn't have a clean room. They told us it would be a couple hours. As we continued with the checking in process, we requested a rollaway bed (we have 3 kids and needed to keep the sick kid away from the healthy ones), and were told that they were legally not able to put a rollaway bed in the standard rooms. The only thing they had that could fit all 5 of us in beds was a suite and that would be double the price. Frustrated by this situation, we stuck with standard room and requested extra blankets to make a bed on the floor. As the story of our sick daughter came out, the receptionist started making calls and talking to people in the back room. We didn't know what she was doing at first, but found out that she was doing everything she could to get us a room earlier than the 2 hour wait. After lots of work on her part, she secured us a room right away. We got up to the room and 10 minutes later there was a knock at the door with a delivery of an adorable plush stuffed animal for my daughter and a hand-written note from the receptionist wishing her to get better soon. We got the first smile from her after hours of being miserable. That little touch went a long way.

My other kids enjoyed the pool downstairs while I nursed my daughter back to health. Again, little touches were noticed, like the free popsicles handed out at the pool. It wasn't the absolute nicest hotel we've stayed at, but it was clean, the beds were comfortable, and the staff's attention to detail was appreciated. If ever needing to stay at a hotel by the airport, would stay there again.

Room Tip: I would try to get a bottom floor poolside room where the sliding door opened to the pool for easy a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Los Angeles Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!