“Nice hotel downtown” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“Nice hotel downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

My wife and I stayed one night while in town for an event at the convention center. I don't think there's much going on nearby the hotel itself, but I could be wrong. We took a taxi everywhere we needed to go and it was never far. Hotel has a small bar and rooms are nice but smallish. If you want to be able to walk to places from the hotel, best to check the map before booking.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel many times and just love it! The staff is great and the service is fantastic. Love the upstairs pool! As a Platinum HHonors Member they offer me a choice between points or a breakfast and I love my points. I know some are ticked off not getting the breakfast (yes people it is only for Platinum members) but I love my points. Thank you to the team and i recommend this hotel!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
North Tustin, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

My husband and I had a fantastic stay here and have nothing negative to say. Yes, the room is a little small, but how much time do you usually stay in your room? The view from the rooftop deck was spectacular - not too noisy or busy when we were there. The staff was very gracious and accomodating. The bed was fantastic and the room was very quiet. We went across the street to the Biltmore for a nightcap and were very glad to come back to the peace and quiet of Hilton Checkers. The staff also informed us that they do have shuttle service to the concert halls that are up Bunker Hill from the hotel - another great perk! However, I do not recommend it for a family with children as it is a more upscale establishment.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

Clean rooms, comfey bed, nicely decorated rooms, and relatively quiet (depending on the room you get), nice toiletries. Great downtown location. But it's a small hotel with minimal services. The rooms are very small. No shuttle service. Front desk staff were not knowledgable about much. One, pricey restaurant. Swimming pool is a "look at" pool. Good for sitting in (a lane wide and about four strokes long) but not swimming. Don't let the hotel pictures on the web fool you. Definately not the place for kids.

For gold members, the perks are mimal. Don't count on any upgrades. Breakfast coupon is for continental only and the restaurant opens late; not until 8 on Sunday.

This hotel will appeal to some travelers who like a small place. If you like a lot of service and amenities you will probably not be happy.

Room Tip: Check the room out before you move in.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Checkers01, General Manager at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this review, May 12, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post a comment about your stay at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, I'm delighted that you found our rooms to be clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. Checkers was built in 1927 and was renovated to its original splendor in order to provide its guests with intimate surroundings. I am sorry that we could not assist you with the additional amenities you requested. Despite this failing, I am grateful you decided to share your valuable time with us and hope that you will return.

Best Regards
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here when in L.A. because she wanted to stay downtown. When we checked in we were ignored by the front desk for at least five minutes. They were not on the phone, they looked at us and just walked away. The front desk clerk was nice enough, but did not recognize me as a Hhonors member or interact in any way.

The room was nice and clean. The bed though was slanted back and felt like my legs were elevated.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

Reserved a king. Upon arrival at five pm was informed that a king was not available. No apologies, no upgrade. I asked the clerk for an explanation and the reply was a repeat that the room I reserved was not available. The room I did get had a non working desk lamp, which was promptly repaired. The non working, though advertised, wireless Internet connection, so far has not been repaired. With many choices downtown LA I won't stay here again.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

Our travel plans were mostly decided through Trip Advisor. We were going to a Lakers' game and wanted a hotel near the Staples Center. We were w/in walking distance of the Staples Center and the rooms were nice; however, we had just left a hotel in West Hollywood of similar price/ranking and they provided free WiFi, free breakfast and the room had a refrigerator....none of these 3 were provided by the Hilton. We were also attracted to the property by the roof top pool, which is just as nice as the pictures portray; however, it was too chilly for us to indulge. I gave the Service a 3 b/c we didn't really "use" their Service. It was a nice hotel w/in walking distance of our main event, but more amenities could have been provided for the cost.

• Stayed April 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post a comment about your experience while staying at the Hilton Checkers. I was happy to read that you were satisfied with the accommodations that was provided. the team takes great pride in providing guests with great service and based upon your comments, they were successful.

I do apologize for any inconvenience the update to "continental breakfast" caused. I will make sure that this offering is more consistent and to the level of expectations that Honors members have come to expect. Thank you for choosing the Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, we hope to see you soon.

Best Regards,

Been to Hilton Checkers Los Angeles? Share your experiences!