“Great hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites

You added The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   404 South Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, CA 90071 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #68 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Columbia, South Carolina
“Great hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Great stay. I loved the property. The elevators are all glass and after the 4th floor or so you are on the outside of the building looking out at a lovely view. We stayed in the yellow tower on the 24th floor and had an awesome view of the Hollywood sign going up and a great view of the beautiful pool deck from our room. The rooms were spacious and clean. The staff was friendly and the breakfast was really good. My daughter and I loved exploring the shops around and the interesting floor layout. It was nice coming back after a long day and being able to pick up a few little things we needed and even getting a subway sandwich when we wanted a quick bite to eat. There is one shop that sells snacks and drinks. The drinks are cheap. Room service drinks(sodas) are $4.75. I think they were like .87 in the little kitchen store on the 4th floor. I used the town car back to LAX and it was worth the $5 more over a taxi ride. I also used the laundry service to have a shirt cleaned and pressed and it was great. The shirt was in my closet when I returned after sending it out in the morning.

I can only say 2 things negative about our experience: First, the check-in line was crazy long. I didn't notice there was another line for preferred guest. Just join the free program when you book the hotel if your not already a member and look for this line. This would have saved us about 20 minutes as that line moved rapidly while the regular line moved painfully slow. I thought we just picked a slow line until I got to the counter and noticed the sign for preferred guests on the other side of the column separating the lines. Second, room service was bad. The food was bad and they never picked my tray back up even the next day. I pushed it out into the hall as I didn't want the smelly food in my room so it didn't bother me too bad. Overall, I really loved this property and location and would stay there again. Also, there is an Enterprise car rental agency in the hotel. Use this!!! don't depend on getting a taxi from an event(bad experience) and don't use the metro (scary homeless people sleep in there... eek!). Had I known about the town car service, perhaps I could have called the hotel and requested a car to pick me up. I waited 45 minutes to get a taxi after an event and was worried I would not get back from the sports arena. Next time, I will definitely rent a car. You really do need it in LA. Taxi services are unreliable and will leave you hanging and the metro stinks unless you are with some other people to protect you. Uber is a joke! they jack the price up when leaving an event. Quoted me $145 for a $15 dollar trip via cab. I finally did get a cab back to the hotel but it was a bit scary for awhile and my battery on my phone only had 6% left! Yikes!! Again, rent a car!!!!! Lesson learned!

Room Tip: Yellow tower facing the pool is great(we were in 2438) or other side of yellow tower facing Hollywoo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

From the minute we got out of the car, our stay was incredibly pleasant. I could live there.

Staff was VERY helpful - this place is HUGE and every time we turned around, someone was there to help us out and let us know where we were going. Smiles all the way around. Plenty of restaurants to choose from. Pool was lovely. Room service was prompt and also very friendly. Everyone made an effort to "connect" with you at a personal level without being unprofessional.

Rooms were spotless and comfortable - bed was REALLY comfy. Shower/bathroom was beautiful. I have NO complaints at ALL. Our stay was PERFECT.

I would totally stay here again any time I am in Los Angeles.

Room Tip: I don't know if there IS a bad room in this place. We were on the 29th floor but the hotel was...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
lmccue77, Director of Sales at The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for your great review! We appreciate your kind comments and observations of our property and our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back and providing you once again with the best service possible. Thanks again.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

I checked in today around 2pm. Staff were amicable. Assigned to room 2744 in red tower. View and bed are nice. However phone by bed is dead and TV will not turn on. Was informed engineer on their way. Still waiting. The Westin Bonaventure is making a terrible first impression.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for letting us know your service issues prior to your departure. We were able to have our engineering staff fix both the phone and the television remote a short time after your call to our service express hotline. Please let us know if the rest of your stay was comfortable and relaxing. We want to exceed your expectations and provide world class service. Thank you again for your communication.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed the location of the Westin Bonaventure. We spent a Saturday evening there after a long flight in anticipation of a trip on Amtrak's Coast Starlight. We picked the hotel because of its proximity to LA Union Station.
The staff accommodated an early check-in which gave us time to enjoy the beautiful pool. Beware, as the hotel is located amongst skyscrapers thus the sun can hide for hours at a time.
We also enjoyed a bite to eat at the lobby bar and an evening drink in the rooftop revolving bar. Although the revolving bar may sound kitschy, even as frequent travelers to LA, the views were amazing.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for your positive review. We are pleased that your stay was a pleasant one and that we were able to exceed your expections for a relaxing visit after a long flight. We look forward to your return visit and hope the rest of your trip was as rewarding. Thank you again for you comments.
Ashland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

This trip was for pleasure, not business. I think that the large upscale chains in downtown and near LAX have two different identities: one during the work week and one during the weekend. This hotel is actually less expensive over the weekend because it's really geared towards corporate road warriors and biz conferences. I had the same experience near LAX (I reviewed that one on TA too). So, I can't speak to business travel but I can attest to snagging an upscale hotel room at a motel price.

This is the kind of hotel you don't want to walk in (or mandatory valet park your car for $40/night) off the street and pay full price for. That would be a good reason to complain about the well worn lobby and outdated decor. Especially when there are so many other modern, boutique and fancy digs to choose from in that price range (Le Petit Ermitage in W. Hollywood is just such a place!) in Los Angeles. However, if you use a third party site like I did, suddenly the Wayfarers you see this four star hotel through are pretty hipster. This is a Westin and I felt that the management and staff set a pretty high bar. Speaking of staff, they were all super smiles and helpful to me so yay customer service.

Thank you to Trip Advisor for clueing me in to the "X shape" of this gigantic hotel; that info helped me when I first walked in to not feel (too) disoriented. There are four towers on each end of the X and the fountains, lobby and bar are in the middle. Each tower is identified by a color and it's the Red Tower that has elevators going up to the steak house and super chill 70's rotating lounge on the 35th floor (must do).

Also thank you to Trip Advisor for letting me know to request a quiet room away from the elevators. Our compact room was quiet and comfortable. I especially liked the floor-to-ceiling windows from the 23rd floor at night. It just begs one to stand naked and gaze over downtown.

Last helpful tip I used from Trip Advisor was to be sure to call for your car ahead of time. I called down for our rental car 10 minutes ahead and it was always ready with a smile. Really, don't join the long line of people waiting impatiently; give those valet guys a little heads up so that they can do their job more efficiently (and tip them - they remember).

We didn't work out, we didn't swim, we didn't go the in-house brewery (I was hoping to) or any of the other 100 things this Westin has inside it's megapolis. But, it was really comfortable, friendly and centrally located to my industry get-together in the Arts District (check that area out too). Totally satisfied with our experience...the price was right.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room away from the elevator lobbies.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Clearwater, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Enjoyed the location as well as the design of this hotel. Great views of the city and amazing room service. Great nail place as well as relaxing massage therapy on site. Had issue with outlet and subsequently my phone was dead for the first half of day but maintenance guy gave me restaurant voucher which ended up being major score. I got room service that night which only had to pay a little out of pocket and then got room service again another night because it was soo good. Great shower and I liked the robe :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

This is my go to while in LA due to it's convenience to downtown appointments. The hotel is somewhat dated and could use a refresher (although I think it just had one) The beds are so very comfortable and always give a good nights sleep.

I would suggest that as part of the check in process a map to the bridges and multiple exits be offered, the bridges are on different levels and some not accessible from the tower elevators - a map would have saved me so much time.

I'll be back.

Room Tip: The red tower has larger rooms however not so private.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!