“Downtown hotel in big style” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites

You added The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   404 South Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, CA 90071 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #68 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Helsinki, Finland
“Downtown hotel in big style”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed at Westin Bonaventure 4 nights for a conference. Its a good conference hotel with spacious rooms in a typical business hotel style. The hotel interiors and public spaces are interesting, but the logistics between the different levels is demanding. Not all levels are directly accessible with the elevators. Not much to see in downtown, and shopping is quite limited in this area. I tried Macys a few blocks away, but was turned off by rather sloppy service.

Room Tip: Be aware of the rooms next to the elevators. People can look directly into your room from from the g...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed at the Westin for business.
The room was a good deal, but everything else adds up very quickly. If you have ever stayed at a Westin, you know your experience will be top notch. The Bonaventure is a great hotel that also has a good history of films that were made there.
The pros:
Downtown location was terrific.
It was honestly the best most comfortable bed (outside of my own) that I have ever slept on. New mattress and very nice high-quality sheets.
Clean rooms and great towels.
Service was fantastic.
The hotel has quite the Hollywood credits, including In the Line of Fire, Hancock, Heat and so many more.
The Cons:
Don't think of driving. Parking was 45.00 a night.
Internet was 13.00 a day.
Breakfast was very expensive.
Outside of the expense and all the add-ons, it was still a good place.

Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

An iconic part of the LA skyline, the Bonaventure is striking from the outside. Unfortunately, its multiple towers make it a headache to navigate from within. Our room on the 22nd floor was spacious & comfortable & offered a splendid view of the LA Basin. However, it smelled of "air freshener," a characteristic of American hotels that I can't stand. The pool is small & out of the way (no elevators go to the 4th floor, so one must take an elevator to the either the 3rd or 5th floor, then use the stairs). Still, it provided us with relief from the heat & interesting people-watching. The continental breakfast was expensive ($22 for adults), but offered quality & variety, including Asian noodles & miso soup. Parking was also expensive ($40/night), but convenient & sadly necessary in LA, a city built for cars. The service was friendly. We enjoyed our stay, but I doubt we'll ever stay at the Bonaventure again due to its high cost.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
lmccue77, Director of Sales at The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Westin Bonaventure and sharing your review. We are an iconic hotel that was built in 1976 by the famous architect John Portman. If you stayed with us in May or June you visited during busy conference and convention times and limited guest room availability as a result. There are several parking options in addition to our valet services that are close by and some are less expensive. We also offer several family packages that include breakfast and parking with your guest room accommodations. Please visit our websites for several package selections that may help meet your travel and budget needs.

Thank you again for staying at the Westin Bonaventure.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is my first Trip Advisor review, because I'm so disappointed at the experience I've had at this Westin and I've only been in my room for one hour. The first room I checked into smelled like mildew and the phone wasn't working. The second still smelled like mildew, so I figured it was a building issue.

Then I attempted to order items from the menu in my room and was told they were not provided by the kitchen yet. The woman on the phone read me her menu and it didn't match mine. There were only two gluten free options on my menu and the kitchen didn't even have the ingredients from these items to sub into other menu items. I haven't stayed at a hotel recently that didn't have a few gluten free items - especially a Starwood Preferred Hotel. When I called service express to let them know they have handed out menus with entrees that aren't available, they simply said they'd notify the kitchen. No apologies. I expect more from Westin Hotels - maybe I shouldn't.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and providing your review. Our rooms are thoroughly cleaned and inspected prior to a guest's arrival to insure the highest quality of cleanliness and that all in-room amenities are properly working. I am sorry that the room you were assigned did not meet your expectations and that our efforts to resolve this wasn't satisfactory. Regarding the Gluten free menu items not being available has helped identify a training issue. Westin recently went brand wide by offering many gluten free items for each meal time in all of our restaurants and room service selections.

Upon your next visit please let the reservations agent know that you experienced these problems and we will make every effort to make sure you don't experience these issues again. You can also contact me directly and I will be happy to assist you. Thank you for staying at the Westin Bonaventure.
Graz, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed there for 4 nights, used the gym and the pool a lot and enjoyed the great lobby area. Good value for money.
Location was good for me as on a business trip, on vacation I would other areas more interesting for tourism.
I particularly enjoyed the brewery which is actually not part of the hotel - chilling in the sun near to pool was great.
I also loved the elevators - scenic.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent stay at the Westin Bonaventure and your kind comments regarding your experiences. We appreciate your recommentation and certainly look forward to welcoming you back when your travel plans call for downtown Los Angeles.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Positives:

Large hotel with ample space
Many dining choices in/near hotel
Very good workout room
Clean comfortable rooms, nice Westin beds

Negatives:
Large, not very friendly hotel
Slow check in, long lines

However it's downtown LA, there must be a reason why you are here, and the Westin is a decent choice!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the freeway and on-ramps, ask front desk, they know if you press them!
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed here for a one night in-town getaway, using SPG cash plus points to book a standard room (I have Starwood Gold status). The front desk person was extremely friendly and we were upgraded to a suite without asking, which was much appreciated. We were offered both 250 SPG points and free wifi as an SPG welcome gift.

The room was nice, newly renovated, with 1.5 bathrooms, a living room with wet bar and TV, and a bedroom with TV. I believe the sofa is a pull out and the bedroom can be separated from the living room by a sliding door. We had a nice downtown view from the 14th floor.

A couple criticisms of the room; there is not enough light over the closet area which is in an awkward corner, there are no hooks on the wall of the bathroom (I like to be able to hang my toiletries bag) and the bed, while with nice linens, did not really have the most comfortable mattress (it sagged a bit in the center).

In terms of hotel amenities, we really did not use any. We had a drink at the Bonaventure Brewing Company, where they brew their own beer on site. I wish the front desk had told us about the rotating lounge at the top of the hotel-somehow we missed this and did not hear about it until after we left. We did not have breakfast there (opted for a breakfast sandwich at the Subway in the hotel but there are other options).

The public spaces of the hotel interior were a ghost town. There are 3-4 levels of the interior atrium which have space for shops and restaurants and I'd say at least 60% of them are empty or closed. This leads to a slightly creepy feeling when walking around and had me saying to my husband that the hotel would be a prefect set for a zombie apocalypse movie. There is a LOT of concrete in the interior.

I really like the location as it's perfect walking distance to the MOCA museum and tons of great restaurants. Parking costs at the hotel are insane. We parked across the street in a structure which is connected by a bridge to the hotel. In the end however, it only saved us $10 because the structure charges $15/day starting at 5am.

In the end, I would stay here again, especially if I could get a good rate. I would look for better parking options however.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent stay with us and your comments. We love our SPG Gold guests and am pleased to learn that you were upgraded to a tower suite. I am glad that you discovered some dining and parking options, however, you did miss a treat by not visiting the BonaVista Lounge which is on the 34th floor. The lounge rotates 360 degrees and offers amazing views of Downtown Los Angeles. During your next visit please contact me and I will invite you to a special wine tasting we hold most Wednesday evenings for our SPG guests and other VIP's.

We look forward to your next visit to the Westin Bonaventure.

Been to The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!