“Four star hotel with 3 star service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites

Save Saved
You added The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   404 South Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, CA 90071 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #67 of 323 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
“Four star hotel with 3 star service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

Great location. Close to everything. Rooms are quite small. Don't stay close to the ice machine unless you want to be waken up. The keys seem not working properly and we changed two rooms both because we can't open the doors.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Myself & my partner stayed in September for 4 days. It's in an east Downtown location with lots of public transport options availabe within a few blocks. The Tourbus even stops at the hotel before heading to Hollywood - very convienant. A downside is there is no where to go out to get dinner or pick up some snacks outside the hotel after about 5. We walked over to the food court across the road at 6 and everything was shut down. We had to eat at the hotel then which of course, was quite expensive.
Our room had the most amazing view of LA I've ever seen - We could see all the way to Hollywood and out towards Chinatown not to mention the rest of downtown from our 22nd floor room. It was comfortable, spacious & clean & my bathroom was stylish & modern. We got room away from the elevators so I could sleep with the curtains open and enjoy the sunshine highlighting LA in the morning :)
The Lobby is a bit of a mess in the design itself, twists and turns and some floor have stairs and some have lifts and the ltte korean & chinese shops were dirty & did not match a 5* standard - we stayed well away. I did love the fountain and lounge chairs and the Pool is in best location I've ever been in!
Being a Westin employee myself at the time - I was disappointed with the staff - We only met one staff member, a young girl at the front desk who helped us with any amount of care. Anyone else we came into contact with seemed annoyed and impolite.
My main con about staying here, was that we went down to breakfast one morning and weren't greeted by anyone, it was quite empty and we thought it was closed then a man in white shouted across the restaurant to come over to him. So he let us sit down and got us some tea he didn't ask us anything or converse at all with us. None one cared we were there and we felt very uncomfortable. We had a plate of breakfast & I went back over to get some fruit and the buffet was gone! They didn't even ask us if we were finished eating or if we needed anything else, just took it all away. So I paid 44 dollars with a service charge on top of that (because they add in their own) for 2 teas, a bit off eggs and some bacon. I was so mad & disappointed. I myself was a breakfast waiter at a Westin and couldn't believe the difference in treatment I recieved.
I think maybe because they add their own tip automatically maybe it takes away some of the care for the job. It's sad, really & I won't return for breakfast.
Overall I did love my stay & I definately will go back - It was classy & clean & I had the time of my life on my trip. Stay here! Just bring your own food or eat out!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the Blue tower for a view of the LA Valley - Bring your own food/snacks or eat out...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I'm not really understanding all of the bad reviews about this place. I agree that the architecture is a bit outdated, but the hotel is really beautiful despite that (I loved all of the fountains in the lobby!). We found the staff to be quite friendly. Many staff members remembered us despite all of their other guests and would greet us/have friendly discussion with us as we passed through. Despite complaints about the walls being "paper thin" we did not hear other guests in their rooms once during our stay. The gift shop can be a bit pricey, I admit, but if someone is willing to put in a little bit of time and effort they can find cheaper items like soda, water, or medicines (there are a number of fast food type restaurants right in the hotel with affordable beverages and there is also a drug store right across the street). If someone is not willing to put in that time and effort, the gift shop does sell all of those necessities plus souvenirs. The rooms aren't huge, but they're certainly more than big enough. We liked that the room was equipped with a safe and fridge. The beds are so soft and cozy. The room was very clean, too! Our view was absolutely stunning. It was a bit cool out while we were at the hotel, so I loved that the big windows allowed the sun to heat our room to a comfortable level. The concierge at the hotel was so helpful and assisted us in using a variety of public transit during our trip, as well as giving us maps to help us around LA. The bellboy was really helpful, too, and assisted us twice in getting cabs when we were running late. The hotel is in a great location, too. I had never visited LA before and I was worried about getting a hotel in a bad area but I was so pleased with the area that the Bonaventure is in. It is right by a gorgeous library and there are plenty of buses and a subway within walking distance as well. We were able to travel easily from the hotel to Hollywood Blvd. and it was also only a few short bus rides away from Venice Beach and Santa Monica. The only downside (aside from our trip only lasting a few short days :() was that the computers in the lobby were down the day before we left so we had some difficulty printing our boarding passes for our flights home. That being said, the people working the reception desk in the lobby assisted us in finding a working computer and printer in the UPS office (although it cost is more this way), saving the day and making our flights home much less stressful :) Finally, the cost of the hotel was incredible. We got a great deal through Travelocity and subsequently spent less on this hotel than we would have ended up spending on a motel in a similar area with none of the amenities.

All in all, I have to give this hotel five stars. The people are friendly, the location is great, the rooms are spotless, and there are so many things to do right in the hotel (gym, spa, salon, and lots of places to eat and shop!). We had a great trip here and would definitely return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This hotel was featured in Arnold Schwartzenegger's True Lies movie. We have stayed at this hotel 4 times now and enjoy each experience. The location in downtown L.A. is great, near major metro and bus routes. The heavenly beds are truly heavenly: the best sleeps ever. The ammenities are also terrific: great gym with top of the line equipment, heated outdoor pool on the 4th floor terrace which is great for morning or evening swims, nice 35th floor revolving lounge. They put on a nice Sunday brunch buffet with something for everyone.

We had a coffee maker that broke down; it was replaced within 15 minutes of calling so great service. The mini-fridge is great as well.

We stayed here to watch the USC game; it is a great location that is either a 7 minute cab ride or a metro ride to USC.

Room Tip: Top floors are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

On my third night I realized why I was feeling poorly - discovered black mold encrusted window frames (within just feet of the bed). Gross! Hotel guide offers to gladly lend items you've forgotten such as a phone charger - apathetic staff sent me to the gift shop for their $30 one. Email and calls with various managers were equally disappointing and I was quite polite - they just seemed very unconcerned and offered weak apology (and 500 points which I turned down).

• Stayed October 2012
Florham Park, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

tiny room paper-thin walls. Oversized lobby is basically a museum of 1970's architecture. Costs $10 to buy a beer in lobby bar - where am I, the Ritz? The workout room is ridiculously overcrowded. After a workout, I go to the gift shop to buy an overpriced bottle of water - they won't let me charge it to my room. Do they assume I carry cash when I work out? Then I go the basic hotel restaurant for breakfast and they get me for $35 for an omelette - ok if the hotel was nice but, lets be real, the lobby is just a bunch of concrete walls and bizarre pools of water.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

During my first visit to the Westin Bonaventure, I found the staff tremendously friendly and helpful, the architecture fascinating, and the location convenient. The Thai Massage at the spa was outstanding.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!