“Nice place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites

Save Saved
You added The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   404 South Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, CA 90071 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #66 of 322 hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Nice place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I'm not really understanding all of the bad reviews about this place. I agree that the architecture is a bit outdated, but the hotel is really beautiful despite that (I loved all of the fountains in the lobby!). We found the staff to be quite friendly. Many staff members remembered us despite all of their other guests and would greet us/have friendly discussion with us as we passed through. Despite complaints about the walls being "paper thin" we did not hear other guests in their rooms once during our stay. The gift shop can be a bit pricey, I admit, but if someone is willing to put in a little bit of time and effort they can find cheaper items like soda, water, or medicines (there are a number of fast food type restaurants right in the hotel with affordable beverages and there is also a drug store right across the street). If someone is not willing to put in that time and effort, the gift shop does sell all of those necessities plus souvenirs. The rooms aren't huge, but they're certainly more than big enough. We liked that the room was equipped with a safe and fridge. The beds are so soft and cozy. The room was very clean, too! Our view was absolutely stunning. It was a bit cool out while we were at the hotel, so I loved that the big windows allowed the sun to heat our room to a comfortable level. The concierge at the hotel was so helpful and assisted us in using a variety of public transit during our trip, as well as giving us maps to help us around LA. The bellboy was really helpful, too, and assisted us twice in getting cabs when we were running late. The hotel is in a great location, too. I had never visited LA before and I was worried about getting a hotel in a bad area but I was so pleased with the area that the Bonaventure is in. It is right by a gorgeous library and there are plenty of buses and a subway within walking distance as well. We were able to travel easily from the hotel to Hollywood Blvd. and it was also only a few short bus rides away from Venice Beach and Santa Monica. The only downside (aside from our trip only lasting a few short days :() was that the computers in the lobby were down the day before we left so we had some difficulty printing our boarding passes for our flights home. That being said, the people working the reception desk in the lobby assisted us in finding a working computer and printer in the UPS office (although it cost is more this way), saving the day and making our flights home much less stressful :) Finally, the cost of the hotel was incredible. We got a great deal through Travelocity and subsequently spent less on this hotel than we would have ended up spending on a motel in a similar area with none of the amenities.

All in all, I have to give this hotel five stars. The people are friendly, the location is great, the rooms are spotless, and there are so many things to do right in the hotel (gym, spa, salon, and lots of places to eat and shop!). We had a great trip here and would definitely return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

1,654 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Turkish first
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This hotel was featured in Arnold Schwartzenegger's True Lies movie. We have stayed at this hotel 4 times now and enjoy each experience. The location in downtown L.A. is great, near major metro and bus routes. The heavenly beds are truly heavenly: the best sleeps ever. The ammenities are also terrific: great gym with top of the line equipment, heated outdoor pool on the 4th floor terrace which is great for morning or evening swims, nice 35th floor revolving lounge. They put on a nice Sunday brunch buffet with something for everyone.

We had a coffee maker that broke down; it was replaced within 15 minutes of calling so great service. The mini-fridge is great as well.

We stayed here to watch the USC game; it is a great location that is either a 7 minute cab ride or a metro ride to USC.

Room Tip: Top floors are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

On my third night I realized why I was feeling poorly - discovered black mold encrusted window frames (within just feet of the bed). Gross! Hotel guide offers to gladly lend items you've forgotten such as a phone charger - apathetic staff sent me to the gift shop for their $30 one. Email and calls with various managers were equally disappointing and I was quite polite - they just seemed very unconcerned and offered weak apology (and 500 points which I turned down).

• Stayed October 2012
Florham Park, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

tiny room paper-thin walls. Oversized lobby is basically a museum of 1970's architecture. Costs $10 to buy a beer in lobby bar - where am I, the Ritz? The workout room is ridiculously overcrowded. After a workout, I go to the gift shop to buy an overpriced bottle of water - they won't let me charge it to my room. Do they assume I carry cash when I work out? Then I go the basic hotel restaurant for breakfast and they get me for $35 for an omelette - ok if the hotel was nice but, lets be real, the lobby is just a bunch of concrete walls and bizarre pools of water.

Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

During my first visit to the Westin Bonaventure, I found the staff tremendously friendly and helpful, the architecture fascinating, and the location convenient. The Thai Massage at the spa was outstanding.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I don't care for it. I've stayed at this hotel twice now, both for conferences. The rooms have been updated and parts of the lobby, but the rest looks like a step back to the 70s. Also the layout is annoying. There are different towers for rooms and the elevators don't stop on all floors - you have to take stairs/escalators to get to some floors. Finally the food is not good...

I'm usually a Westin fan but the decor/service of the hotel is not on par.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Stayed at the Westin for 3 nights, check in with Jen was smooth and quick, she had a big smile and was very friendly and pleasant.Large open air lobby with fountains and open air restaurant. Stayed in yellow tower on 19th floor, hallways were a little tight and the rooms were very close due to the design of the hotel. The room was small with a nice view of the HOLLYWOOD sign and a not so nice view of the freeway. There was no dresser in the room but a piece of furniture with the tv on top and 2 doors on the bottom revealing a small refrigerator and 3 slide out drawers that I guess was supposed to be for clothes,chose not to use the drawers. The full size beds were small but comfy and the bathroom was really nice with marble floors, granite counters and large mirrors.There are several stores and small restaurants on the 4th and 5th floor, the restaurants seemed a bit out of place in the hotel and not a place I would choose to eat. The lobby restaurant had ok food and I felt it was overpriced. The hotel is in a good location with several things in walking distance. Overall I had a pleasant stay and I would recommend this hotel for the good location and friendly staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!