“Keep coming back” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles

You added Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles to your Saves list
Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   506 South Grand Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90071 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Book Now & Save up to 20%
Ranked #140 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
London, United Kingdom
“Keep coming back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

First stayed here in 1980 and have been coming back whenever in LA ever since
One of the old iconic hotels where the Oscars were conceived and is used in lots of movies.
Always stay on Club floors which are higher, have access to lounge, internet, breakfast, nibbles, drinks wi fi etc. Worth the extra and will actually save you money.
Staff were great, let me use Lounge after checkout as had an evening International flight

Room Tip: Stay in Club rooms, apparently are much better appointed and you get the additional use of the `Club...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Turkish first
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I recently spent a couple of days at the historic Millennium Biltmore on a business trip. The hotel has a beautiful lobby and great food service but the room experience was a disaster. Overall, the room was dark and dingy and sad. But even worse:

*The room windows had cracked panes, were reinforced with chicken wire, and covered with shutters with broken louvers. A desk was pushed up against the windows to block access and render them inoperable. I probably wouldn’t have wanted to open them anyway, since the room overlooked a noisy (apparently 24 hours/day) generator.

*The TV remote and alarm clock in room were not functioning and there was no accessible electric outlet near bed.

*In addition to the hum from the generator, every sound in the hallway sounded as if it was in the room. Light and sound streamed in from the hallway through the significant gap beneath the room door.

*On my second morning, I discovered that housekeeping had failed to place towels in the bathroom. Unfortunately, I discovered this after I was already in the shower so was forced to dry off with washcloths.

*I received an incredibly lackadaisical response when I called down to report problems. No resolution or apology was offered. Not even an offer to bring up towels.

Capping off the visit, when it was time to leave, after waiting 20 minutes for our car to be retrieved, we could not get out of hotel driveway. Staff kept moving cars forward but abandoning them in the driveway. They said they did not have enough drivers to move them. Given the cost of parking-guests pay $40/night for this “convenience”-the hotel may want to hire more staff or do a better job of anticipating busy arrival and departure times.

Just because a hotel has historic value doesn't mean you can't buy a few new lampshades and replace broken window glass and ill-functioning 90 year-old doors. The owners of this hotel should make an effort to bring the rooms into the current millennium.

Room Tip: One of my colleagues requested a room change two times upon seeing her room(s) and eventually ended...
Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Kendra W, Public Relations Manager at Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for your valuable comments and sharing with us your experience at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles. Your business is extremely important to us and we greatly appreciate your feedback. We are steadfastly committed to providing guests with a superior experience and take most seriously your concerns about your guestroom accommodations, housekeeping, air conditioning noise and valet parking. We want to reassure you that our hotel currently is undergoing an improvement project and reinforcement of customer service training throughout the next 12-18 months to remedy the very issues you have raised. Additionally, your comments will be addressed with the relevant managers so that necessary corrective measures can be taken. In the meantime, please accept our sincerest apologies for our performance and for having caused you disappointment and inconvenience. We hope that on your next visit to downtown Los Angeles, we will have an opportunity to restore your confidence in our hospitality.
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

This was my second stay at the Biltmore Hotel, chosen by clients because of their discount and proximity to several meetings.
The lobby and common areas are lovely. But that's where the charm ends.
The rooms are very small and very worn. They are in need of a major make over. The bathrooms are TINY, as in the door is 1/4 of an inch away from the toilet when it's open. There is no mini-bar, but there is a high priced sundries shop in the hotel.
We ate in both the hotel bar and the Asian fusion restaurant. The service in the bar was good, but nothing spectacular -- they also don't begin service until 4:00 p.m. on weekends. Three of us had a couple of glasses of wine, hummus, tacos and ceviche -- it was close to $170.
The previous evening we arrived late and ate in the hotel's Asian fusion restaurant -- heads up, it closes @ 10:00 p.m. and is NOT open on weekends. It was pretty horrible. Greasy previously frozen spring rolls followed by slimy flavorless noodles -- YUCK.
One of my pet peeves is a high-end hotel that refuses to spring for a decent cable package. The Biltmore barely has a basic cable package, which annoys me after a day of meetings and a late dinner, sometimes all you really want is to watch Bravo, or HGTV :)
Finally, the parking is ridiculous. There is a lot across on Olive Street -- use that. My colleague and I made the mistake of moving our car from the Olive Street lot and valeting it at the hotel for 1 hour and 2 minutes, while we packed and checked out (there is NO street parking) -- it cost us $27, because of those 2 minutes, other wise it would have been $18.00.

Room Tip: If you HAVE to stay there, don't park or eat there. Park in the lot on Olive Street, under the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your valuable comments and sharing with us your experience at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles. Your business is extremely important to us and we greatly appreciate your feedback. We are steadfastly committed to providing guests with a superior experience and take most seriously your concerns about your guestroom accommodations, restaurant and bar outlets, and valet parking experience. We want to reassure you that our hotel currently is undergoing an improvement project and reinforcement of customer service training throughout the next 12-18 months to remedy the very issues you have raised. Additionally, your comments will be addressed with the relevant managers so that necessary corrective measures can be taken. In the meantime, please accept our sincerest apologies for our performance and for having caused you disappointment and inconvenience. We hope that on your next visit to downtown Los Angeles, we will have an opportunity to restore your confidence in our hospitality.
Raby Mere
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in the Millennium Biltmore in November and were really impressed by the history and character of the place. The entrance area and passage way linking the facilities in the hotel are lovely to see and appreciate the quality of the building which was built around 1930. Many photographs are displayed around the corridors to show guests from the past and this helps bring home the history of the place and provides a comforting feeling that it really was at the top in quality terms form many years. It has been modernised with great care and still looks splendid today and we had a great time there. The rooms are very spacious and quiet and cleanliness is of the highest standard throughout. We only had breakfast at the hotel due to all the trips but it was freshly cooked and good value. We did have some drinks in the bar and this was busy with a jazz band playing music and this went well with the surroundings. So in summary a quality hotel with great character that does its best to make you feel relaxed in wonderful surroundings.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

First of all I worked in Central L.A for ten years back in the 80's and if some body said I would be staying at the Biltmore Hotel I would say your crazy. This area has changed so much with the high end restaurants, Hotels, and stores. The night life goes all night. The Biltmore is awesome with high class finishes of glitz and glamor, and that old school elegance that could only be found in the best Hotels. The rooms are great and clean. the staff very helpful and friendly. We stayed here for a retirement party and enjoyed the whole experience. I would stay here again if in town.

• Stayed November 2013
Nantucket, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

The charm and elegance of the lobby and public spaces of this once stately hotel stayed on the first floor. The hallway upstairs reeked of stale tobacco smoke as did the room. In fairness it was a smoking floor, apparently, because there were ashtrays in the room. but I wasn't given a choice. The separate shower stall was pleasant but the faucets were leaky and the water pressure was grossly inadequate even by "water saver" standards. The hot water took about five minutes to run warm, literally, (much faster in the sink) and using the cold to temper it was never necessary. The room was also very noisy both from the traffic on Fifth Street and from people in the hallway as late as 4:30 in the morning - and it was the last room on the hall. The maid also knocked at my door at 8:10 am the first morning asking to clean the room.
When I checked in, the desk clerk barely acknowledged me, spent an inordinate amount of time looking for a room, said he had to "download more rooms" and looked some more, finally asking a coworker for assistance. He then handed me the key and told me the room number. No apology for the delay. I had to ask him to return my credit card, license and AAA card which he did without comment, but he finally responded to my last request - for directions to the elevator. I was upgraded to a small suite but he didn't tell me. I guess he wanted me to be surprised.
Out of six elevators, it appeared that only two were working, causing a big back up.
On the plus side, the bar was very pleasant and the food and beverage I had there were fine.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Fifth Street side of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Northville, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

I just spent one night at the Biltmore. The public areas are stunning, and the catering meals were exceptional. As you might expect from a historic hotel,the rooms are small in size with old plumbing fixtures. However the decor of the guest rooms could use updating. I would start with the mattresses, they felt 20 years old and the sheets were pilled and the blankets were those old fuzzy kind. The exterior hallways are very loud so if you stay here get a room at the end of the hallway.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles? Share your experiences!