“Reply to: Great building,amazing history,terrible service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles

You added Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles to your Saves list
Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   506 South Grand Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90071 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #132 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California
“Reply to: Great building,amazing history,terrible service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

This person must not any priorities in his life... to write such a long review. Lets start off by educating this person. Check-in time is 3:00pm and check-out time is at 12noon. When the any hotel is 75% to 100% occupancy...you are not guaranteed early check in or late check-out..Between the hours of 12 noon and 3:00pm is when housekeeping is cleaning rooms that are available for same day check-ins. The Biltmore doesn't have a fast track queue for loyalty card Members. I never witness anyone standing in line for more then 5 minutes at a time. Guest service agents are prompt and professional. Patience is a virtue .. grocery store, banks, post office, etc. Room upgrades and vouchers are NOT guaranteed...its all based in hotel availability and occupancy (read the fine print mister). Late check-out is 1:00pm without a charge, $50.00 until 3pm and 6pm $99.00 day rate. Regarding parcels; he was charge $55 for all his parcels which in turn it should of been more. Keep in mind front desk is not your personal post office/secretary/personal assistant .They do not call/text/notify guest of parcels. That's not there job!! You are to inquire regarding mail, parcels etc. Keep in mind...when visiting hotels, restaurants, bars. keep in mind the person working behind the counter can make you or break you.Show respect to get respect. And finally there is NO battling with the front desk. Great friendly professional staff. In closing, I can guaranteed this person writing the review regarding the Biltmore..he won't get a warm welcome if he does decided to revisit the hotel. Do everyone a favor and DO NOT RETURN!! Have a great day! Anonymous~

Room Tip: Try a Club room on the 10th or 11th floor
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Turkish first
brooklyn, ny
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

But you are not staying in the lobby. You are staying in a room. And ours was really depressing. It had two double beds and a desk and a desk chair. No sitting chair. No bedside table. No make up mirror in the bathroom. Barely any products. 2 towels. It was basically like a motel room. And we overlooked something like an air shaft. We were booked for 5 nights. After the first night I asked if we could switch rooms and was told we could upgrade to a junior suite for $50 more. I was totally willing but when I asked if it was much different I was told it was basically the same but I little bigger. So instead we vowed to spend no time in the room—actually not so bad. It kept us out in about. If you care at all about where you stay—if you like hotels around the W or Kimpton or even Sheraton level. Don't stay here. But go have a drink in the lobby because it's AMAZING.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Kendra W, Public Relations Manager at Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you for your valuable comments and sharing with us your experience at Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles. We greatly appreciated your feedback about our lobby. Your business is extremely important to us and we take most seriously your concerns about your guestroom accommodations. We want to reassure you that our hotel currently is undergoing an improvement project and reinforcement of customer service training throughout the next 12-18 months to remedy the very issues you have raised. Additionally, your comments will be addressed with the relevant managers so that necessary corrective measures can be taken. In the meantime, please accept our sincerest apologies for having caused you disappointment and inconvenience. We are steadfastly committed to providing guests with a superior experience and hope that on your next visit to downtown Los Angeles, we will have an opportunity to restore your confidence in our hospitality.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

As noted elsewhere, the lobby, bar, and other public spaces must be seen--stop in for a drink even if you aren't staying here. That much is non-controversial. Bar staff is super-friendly.

As for the rooms, I can sympathize with reviewers who thought they were getting something at a Westin standard--these rooms are not that. On the evidence of my standard room (not on the club level), they haven't seen any structural work for a few decades, there aren't many amenities (i.e. no robes, nice towels, extra products, etc.), and and there are some mustiness issues. That said, the rooms are hardly a horror show. Furniture and beds are current and high quality, and they adhere to a robust standard for cleanliness.

If you don't have to have the Westin/Sheraton 4 star goodies at all times and you appreciate staying in unique places, I think this hotel is a great option for tourists staying in downtown LA, especially if you find a price that is a notch below those other options (which seems doable given a cursory review of the travel sites). As for business travelers, its fine if you're on a budget, but imagine many will prefer comforts like desks with easy outlets, nice work chairs, etc. that you're not going to find here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Love this place. So regal, filled with history. Great pool and club. Go see the bar even if you don't drink just for the historic ornamentation. Added bonus: you can open the windows in your room. Definitely going back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Ok, so this is the first time I've ever bothered doing a review on TripAdvisor, but I felt I had to because of the sheer lack of service received during my 6 night stay.

I'll go through the good points first:

The hotel is an amazing building, and the Club Suite floor rooms are nice and big (although bathroom is pretty poor, it's to be expected for a hotel this age)

The pool area is nice, and very quiet. Decor is amazing. Pool was a bit cold on both days I used it as was steam room and sauna, but still very enjoyable.

The rate I paid was pretty good, about $160 per night on club level.

Cleaning was good and prompt - room was a bit dusty but the style of the room doesn't make it easy to clean so I can forgive this.

It's a decent location for downtown LA, close to the Metro and there's some nice bars and restaurants nearby.

The Club room offers a great spread for breakfast and it's decent at night (although wine is the only alcoholic beverage offered, no beer/spirits)

Now for the bad points:

I am an M&C Gold Loyalty card holder, which should entitle you to the following privileges at this particular hotel:

Fast track registration at selected hotels.
Early check-in from 10am and late check-out till 4pm, subject to availability.
Complimentary welcome drink.
Broadband benefits available at participating hotels.
Complimentary local daily paper.
Two complimentary room upgrades at any of our participating hotels.
20% off our weekend breaks for your birthday.

All seems pretty good, right. Well, here's my experience.

I checked in after a long flight from London. Got to the hotel, no fast track queue or ANY sign of a loyalty card queue. Not to mind - I got in the regular queue with everyone else and waited around 5-8 minutes - not awful at all.

Then went to check in.

Room Upgrade Voucher: I was given a room on the 10th floor - when I mentioned that I had called ahead and checked whether I could use my upgrade voucher, I was told yes (the day before) and then tried to apply this to my booking. I was firstly told that I had already been put in an upgraded room - NOT TRUE, I had PAID for a club room. Then I'm told that I can't use the voucher because I'd not booked it directly with the hotel - NOT TRUE, while the staff may believe this, it doesn't say this anywhere in the T&C's of the loyalty club. Finally, after debating this I'm moved to a club suite as a 'favour'.

Free Internet: I then mention the free internet - I'm told that I can't get this. I ask why - same reason offered, I didn't book direct with the hotel. I ask the receptionist to show me in the T&C's where it says this and she can't, but still refuses to credit the room with free internet. Finally, after dragging the manager out, I'm told that the internet will be free.

Early check in/Late check out: I arrived at 9pm so the early check in doesn't apply. For the late check out - I confirm this when I check in that I'll be checking out at 4pm and they say that'll be fine. Day of checking out, I call down to the reception at 10am to remind them I won't be out till 4pm, and am told it's not possible because someone will be in the room by 1pm and they need it. It does say subject to availability, so I think ok - but I did confirm this when I arrived and was told it'd be fine. I then run a quick check on the availability that night on the hotel booking page - shows me avails in EVERY room type, including the room I'm in. I ask to speak to the manager and am put on hold for 5 minutes before the phone disconnects. I get through to the manager to be told that as a special exception he will honour the 4pm check out - again this is something that shouldn't need an argument to sort out - I just want them to honour what they advertise without making up fake excuses.

Free welcome drink: This wasn't mentioned once by the staff - I did ask about it but got blank looks, and it was never offered again.

Local paper: Got this every morning on the door.

Other points: TV channels were pretty poor and TV kept flickering on certain ones.

The other main problem I had was that I was expecting a number of parcels to be delivered during my 6 day stay. When I arrived, there were 9 parcels waiting for me, which was handy although I was charged $55 for them (the pricing/charge seemed quite random and I was told that it was $10 per box, which didn't make any sense).

I then had 2 important parcels delivered - I checked online and they were marked as delivered by UPS - I went down to reception where I was told they didn't have them. I asked them to check, and lo and behold they had them and brought them up for me.

2 days go by and I have another parcel being delivered - I check online and it's marked as delivered so I go down, only to be told that there's one parcel there and this is from Tuesday (2 days earlier) - apparently they DO NOT notify when parcels are received, and you're supposed to hassle the reception to get you the parcels on a daily basis (I assume?). This is the only hotel in the world I've ever stayed in that doesn't tell you when a parcel has been delivered.

I then have to ask them 4 times to locate the parcel that's been delivered, and am told 3 times they don't have it. On the 4th time I ask, they miraculously find the parcel within 2 minutes of looking in a back room. If I'd not been annoying and hassled them to look, I would still be without the parcel.

Sorry for the long review but I felt I had to warn people, especially M&C members, that getting your benefits at this hotel are very hard and a struggle, and the hotel service is badly organised and the staff are, generally, pretty dismissive (although some were excellent).

Stay at this hotel ONLY on a good rate, ONLY in a Club Suite and prepare to battle with Front Desk!

Room Tip: Definitely get a club room, stay high up as possible, the in room Wifi is very fast most of the time
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We came to Los Angeles for the Rock and Roll half marathon. The Biltmore was offering a discount for race participants. The Biltmore is a beautiful building without a doubt, our only disappointment with the hotel was the very old windows that could easily be refinished. When you open the nice wooden blinds you're greeted by very old wood framed windows with old cracked paint. It would make such a difference with some minor touch ups. The other problem was the area, even in the day time we didn't feel comfortable in "some" near by areas (a little research of the area can avoid this).
The staff were all friendly and even comped our internet charges. The rooms were clean.

Room Tip: The higher up the better, the old windows allow a lot of street noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

When booking online the hotel website redirects you (without you really knowing it) to a subsidiary of Expedia to book its rooms.

The third party precharged my credit card for my stay and the charge showed up under TRAVRES. I had to call them to find out what the charge was etc and that is how I found out that the Biltmore uses a fourth party service.

When I checked in the Biltmore did not have the room I requested and said they could not see the booking except I had a room and I was prepaid. I had to dig out my email confirmation that had the room particulars so i could be checked into the room I had already paid for.

I was here on business so need a receipt fo the stay. When I checked out I asked if the hotel could print out the details of my stay. They again said they didn't have details so I am going to have to try and contact travres again.

So keep all of your emails and take them with you if you booked online and want to stay at the Biltmore.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles? Share your experiences!