“Grand Central Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles

You added Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles to your Saves list
Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   506 South Grand Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90071 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #132 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
London
“Grand Central Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

This reminded me very much of The Drake in Chicago. Very grand and I think in its day the prime, now still impressive on first impressions but the rooms are pretty average.

Location pretty central and close to a Metro station.

The rooms and in particular the bathrooms needs updating. Staff on arrival were not overly friendly but the concierge was great explaining where to go for a great traditional American breakfast.

All in all good.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

This place is all about "history". It served as the place to celebrate the Oscars and many other important events that represent old Hollywood and politics. The lobby level is absolutely gorgeous and they have a vibrant bar scene. However, I gave it three stars because the rooms are very dated! the window dressings are about to fall apart, and the room decor is outdated. It almost has a moldy-like smell. I've stayed here a handful of times, and all the rooms I've stayed at had the same problems. The bathrooms are extremely small and some of them have the curtains that will fly away thus making a mess on the floor. The only floors worth staying are 10th and 11th but those are the VIP suites and it's more $$$$. The staff at the front desk were awful. They are not the most knowledgable people and they are not that nice. The valet and baggage guys were great. Although the head valet needs to coordinate the incoming traffic and keep a flow with the lanes. I was stuck several times for almost 20 mins waiting to inch up to the valet lane.

Room Tip: if you've got the extra cash, go for the 10th or 11th floor, other than that, just go and visit...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We booked three nights at the Millenium Biltmore Los Angeles after seeing the photos of the lobby and other public areas on their website. Loved the look of the place and decided that our last three days in the US should be something special. We weren't disappointed. Around the foyer areas are many photographs of famous events, movie stars, etc. and you really feel part of the glamour and history of Los Angeles.

Keeping an eye on the hotel's internet rate meant we could upgrade to the Club floor and from the moment we arrived we were pleased we did. Not only are the public areas of the hotel spectacular but the service in the Club lounge area was professional, friendly and unobtrusive.

We needed directions on how to get to the Staples Centre (the hotel is a very easy 15 minutes walk), and the concierge produced a simple map, marked it with a pen and pointed us in the right direction. The next day another staff member pointed us in the correct direction for the Disney Performing Arts Centre. The location is fine for exploring, there's a variety of restaurants near by and you are a close walk to Macy's and other shops. It's also a short distance to the jewellery centre of Los Angeles so there was some interesting window shopping.

We had our very generous continental breakfast (which also included some hot selections) in the Club lounge where the service was excellent and there were newspapers, free access to the Internet and helpful staff who can book tours, organised shuttles or whatever else is needed.

In the late afternoon we visited the lunge area for drinks and canapes (which could have been dinner if one were so inclined), and in the comfortable and relaxed environment found ourselves chatting with a number of other guests for an hour or so.

The room was comfortable, the bed, television, other facilities fine, and the bathroom well appointed. After checkout we sat in the lobby and watched guests arrive while waiting for our shuttle. When a small line formed I was impressed to see someone come out and greet the people waiting, give them a "What's on in Los Angeles" flyer and apologise for the wait. And they didn't have to wait very long.

Only dark cloud on the horizon...our room was opposite the linen store and about 8am several housekeeping staff gathered there and chatted -- fairly loudly -- which we didn't appreciate.
A few days after we returned home we received an online customer feedback asking for our comments. I replied and took advantage of the "any other comments" section to say something about the housekeeping noise. Two days later we received a personal email from the hotel apologising for the inconvenience and assuring us that the matter would be addressed. That's a first for us in terms of customer feedback service!

We would certainly return.

Room Tip: If you can afford the Club floors, go for it. The service and facilities are a real treat.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed here for a friends wedding so I received a great group rate for a suite. Probably wouldn't have wanted to pay full price for the room but it was a good room for what we paid. We had a wonderful housekeeper during our stay who took great care of our room even though it got pretty messy with friends in and out during our stay. Had great times in the hotel bar. All the staff I encountered were great. Our room was on the club level so we took advantage of the free breakfast and evening drinks.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Marquette, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is a tough review to write. This hotel is a grand ol' dame and its common areas are stunning. The historical relevance captures you and you feel part of it. You just don't get to experience a place like this very often, especially on a business trip.

With that noted, my room on the 10th floor, 1026, was roomy enough, well appointed, and quiet. But the floor was dirty and hadn't been vacuumed. I stayed for three nights and the floor remained that way. There was sink splatter on the lower section of the bathroom mirror which also remained there the duration of my stay. I didn't see one housekeeping staff person, not one, in three days. The towels were replaced and the bed remade so I know someone actually visited my room but it was really odd to not see any housekeeping staff around.

I had fun when my business meetings were done and explored the hotel. The former lobby area is really beautiful and decked out for the holidays. I was too late for the afternoon tea service (2-5pm) but that sounds great! I met a hotel employee in the former lobby who had been working at the Biltmore for 16 years. He described a flood that occurred there just a couple years ago and in the process of cleaning the moisture damage, they discovered light fixtures they thought were tan were actually nicotine stained. When the staining was removed, a beautiful aquamarine color emerged! He was obviously proud and happy to work there and took the time to discuss the hotel's history and his experience there. Wish I could remember his name as I'd be happy to put it here in the review.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay very much but my accommodations could have used a good sprucing up!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Located in downtown LA not the best area but near to metro to visit all the nearby attractions.
The hotel is beautiful - the architecture and history are wonderful. The opulence of the reception area is breathtaking. We visited late November so the Christmas decorations were unbelievable. Staff were extremely helpful and knowledgable. Take time to speak to the staff about the "history" of the hotel and the Oscars.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

This is absolutely the worst hotel we have experienced. When we walked in the hotel the lobby looks really elegant and the apple cider was warm enough to settle my heart down. However the first room we got that night was in the corner of road end. If you want to get in you have to get thru two doors which is quite annoying. The smell of the room makes us feel there was some accident in the room so they used tons of detergent to clean the room. The air conditioner was very loud too. We required to change a room and the front desk said they would send some bell boy to deliver us the key but after 20 minutes waiting time we went down to get the key to the new room. After we came back to the new room after dinner we found that even we turned off the air conditioner it was still very noisy. I called the front desk to change a room again and the said they would bring up the key again. After another 20 minutes waiting around 11pm no one showed up. I called them and the girl at front desk asked me to go down without even saying sorry. I went down and asked her why it was so noisy she said it's just because of the street and it seems she is quite familiar with the noise complaint. Finally we got settled down in a room with ok standard for a four star hotel. The swimming poor is also far from rooms. I cancelled my other two night stays after changing two rooms in 3 hours stay. Employees at this hotel don't really care about their guest.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles? Share your experiences!