“Grand historic...but awful rooms” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles

You added Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles to your Saves list
Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   506 South Grand Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90071 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now & Save up to 20%
Ranked #140 of 327 Hotels in Los Angeles
Singapore, Singapore
“Grand historic...but awful rooms”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed at The Biltmore for 2 nights.From the outside it really doesnt look very impressive but once you enter the lobby like alot of the previous reviews have stated the decor and architecture inside was beautiful reminicient of the early 1900s.Very big lobby area with ample seating...reception was generally efficient and businesslike but like all american hotels service was pretty minimal.Lifts to rooms were across a long hallway and also to the restaurant downstairs where they serve a pretty good buffet breakfast.The small lobby area just outside the restaurant is a very popular place for filming of movies and there was some shooting going on during my stay.
The rooms were big and spacious but really needed a major overhaul.No doubt the bed was big and comfortable the room was just not cosy or had that homely feeling.It just felt cold dark and depressing.Windows had no curtains at all...instead they had really old dusty wooden blinds...so early in the morning one would be woken up by the daylight coming in but being surrounded by tall buildings the room doesnt get much sunlight.Lighting was pretty minimal.In contrast the size of the bathroom was really tiny and had hardly any counter top to put my toiletries.Awful rusty taps and bathtub with yellowish ring stains.Some how or rather the room decor reminded me of the inside of Norman Bates` famous house up ontop of the hill in the movie Pyscho.
Location wise not to my liking as i was there during the weekend so being right in the middle of the business district the whole place was dead.I suppose good in a sense as it wasnt crowded or with alot of traffic because my room faced the road so would it have been a weekday i am sure it would have been very noisy.Nothing much in the way of shopping around the area except 2 blocks away there was an area selling cheap electronics clothing and the usual other shops you find anywhere.The people hanging around this area tend to be more of the South American/Mexican races.Few usual eateries like subway Panda express and other fast food joints.
On the other side of the hotel behind...a totally different scenario.Tall office blocks and just down the road about 10mins walk away was a small shopping mall with a Macy`s and the usual foodcourt below the Hyatt i think it was.
Would i recommend or stay at this hotel again?Definately not.Even if i had to stay around that area again there are far better hotels like The Westin Bonaventure or the other major chains.
I would have taken a few photos of the room and bathroom but it was just to depressing i didnt bother.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Turkish first
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed at the Biltmore about two weeks ago. We were invited to wedding where the reception was around the corner from the hotel so staying in BH was silly. I am not a big hotel kind of guy and my first impression was not good one because there was a line at check in and this is a big hotel. However my first impression was wrong, nice hotel, we had a great big room which was very comfortable and the staff was informative courteous and excellent. The hotel was very reasonably priced especially given our accommodations. The neighborhood is one in transition i.e. it is old and was down and out but it seems to be changing. If I were visting LA as part of a vacation I don't think I would stay in this area but a couple of years from now who knows. However if I were visiting and did not want to spend $600 a night for a luxury hotel I would stay here. Beware the parking is expensive.

Flagstaff, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed for the third time in two years at the Biltmore, and reviewed it in 2010. I am writing this additional review to respectfully disagree with some of the other reviewers. My friend and I enjoyed our stay at this hotel, and found our room spacious and comfortable. I did tell the hotel that some touch up paint was in order, the carpet was frayed around the edges of the room, and the old keyhole in the bathroom door looked shabby. OK, folks, there was not much shelving in the bathroom. Other than that, we thought our stay was just fine. While I would not give these rooms five stars without some upgrading, I fail to see why others are so picky. The employees were great and I love the " movie star " swimming pool in the basement. The prepaid rate was fairly reasonable and a big plus is that it is within walking distance of Walt Disney Concert Hall, where we went to hear the LA Philharmonic. I was discussing this topic with one of the bellmen, who sighed about the recent reviews and commented " Some people just don't like old hotels. " This one dates from 1923. Frankly, i like the place and will return. Case stated. Goodnight! ( P.S. - I seldom ever order room service, but we placed a food order late at night and it was promptly delivered. )

Room Tip: Expect your accomodations to be a little out of sync with the 21st Century and appreciate the histor...
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I was a bit worried about staying here after reading other reviews but the hotel was fine. The rooms are big and clean, and so is the bathroom with amenities. The concierge at the hotel are very friendly and helpful. The hotel is in downtown LA in the business district so it's a very quiet area. The hotel is located right next to the bus stop and the Metro so very handy for getting around if you are not driving, you can get a $6 dollar day pass which you can travel about for 24 hours on from the ticket purchase time. The hotel's lobby is very grand and beautiful - please note that this not match the old fashioned rooms, so prepare yourself otherwise you may be disappointed.

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the elevators as the halls can be quite noisy with travellers arriving...
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The hotel is stunningly beautiful, the ceilings are amazing. I would highly recommend going for drinks and to look around.....but I would NOT recommend staying there. Check in was incredibly slow - but it gave us plenty of time to see the video of how beautiful the rooms were going to be. They were obviously streaming ones that were upgraded and refurbished because we actually laughed at our room when we got there. Yes, I get it, it's an old historic hotel, I should have expected the rooms to be teeny tiny, and the bathroom teeny tinier. And I could have overlooked it had the rooms been updated and not so dingy. So here, in a nutshell, is the good and the bad.

The good - the bed was comfy, and the pillows were soft and comfy. That is it for the good.

The bad.....well after you get over that "old man" smell that permeates the entire hotel, the room was dark and in need of a thorough cleaning. The windows are all original, so it is really noisy. We were facing the courtyard and could hear the cars whizzing by on the freeway. The TV has about 20 channels - 3 of which are dedicated to the ammenities of the hotel. There are no mirrors in the bedroom - which was a pain for me, because when my husband was getting ready in the bathroom I couldn't put my makeup on or do my hair. The bathroom is ridiculously small - enough room for one person to stand in, with a pedestal sink - and little thin counter, so forget putting a shaving kit or makeup bag on it. I'm sure I looked like a clown after putting my makeup on in such dim lighting. Lastly, the thermostat looked like it was from the 60's - push a button in for on/off, air/heat - only the button looked the same in or out. It wasn't working in any setting, so our room was hot as hell.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel, and only come here for drinks and to look around. It's not pleasant...
rio de janeiro
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I must to agree with other reports, the problem of the hotel are the rooms.
We stayed for 5 nights (Company was paying, so I do not know prices...). When you arrive, you are delighted by the architecture of the hotel: it is amazing, everything is gorgeous, the lobby, corridors, bars, salloons,...
They gave us a bad (small, not good view) room, at 4th floor. We complained at front-desck, and we were re-placed to a better and bigger room. I must to agree with other reports on TA: rooms are not good. They have a coffe maker, standard (and good) TV, good bed, linen and pillows, but the room is dated: bathroom is old (but worked well), windows do not open much, glasses of the windows dirty on outside. Besides, to have wi-fi access to internet, you must pay a rate of $10 a day.
Staff is fine, everything we asked they did. Sometimes is difficult to find the concierge (I believe that he/she have to go sometimes to 10th floor, to attend VIP guests), but they helped us when we needed to have an information or book some service.
Location is fine, walk distance from restaurants, Macy's, Target, supermarkets. Feel safe walking there untill 11 pm.
Breakfast is good (not excellent) and costs $20.
Loved to stay here.

Room Tip: There is a fitness center, pool, gym machines, sauna (humid and dry), and is free to use. Even if yo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed here for two nights on business in November. It was about a $50 taxi ride from LAX (although the towncar service I used to get from the hotel to LAX was actually cheaper). It is conveniently located in downtown LA in an area that is within a mile (easy walk) to LA Live, Staples Center, etc. and other downtown attractions. However, there is very little to do that is very, very close to the hotel. The only night time noise is the unavoidable car traffic.

The Good:

My room was very large, even oversized. There was a grand window looking outside to the street and it made the room feel even bigger than it was. The closet was very spacious (almost, but not quite, walk-in size.) The history of the hotel is hard to beat. It is architecturally beautiful and there are so many underground floors of ballrooms and hallways and meeting spaces that all have historical significance of their own. The staff is excellent, warm, and hepful. Even when I checked in near midnight, they were perky and welcoming. The bed was comfortable and firm.

The bad:

The hotel is a bit dated and it shows most significantly in the flooring. My room's carpet was worn, faded, and I never took my socks off because while I'm sure it was clean, it was also clearly very well used. The thermostat offers 10 different settings in 2 degree increments; it was not digital and though it worked, it was clearly an old system. The cable selection was very limited; probably no more than 15 channels plus the networks. The hotel has only one central bank of elevators and it is rather spacious in layout, so it is often a long walk from the elevator to your room (it was for me). The toiletries are standard issue.

Final review:

I received a really great rate on the room (just under $200/night) and I would go back for that price; however, it was most certainly not a luxury hotel. It was a beautiful hotel and I wish I had more time to wander the halls and ballrooms early in the morning when nothing was going on so I could have read more about the historic aspects of the building (the first Academy Awards were held there, nearly 100 movies have been filmed in the hotel). It lacked the sleek,sterile cleanliness that I have come to like when traveling. It felt much more lived-in, more like a Courtyard and not a Renaissance.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles? Share your experiences!