“Poor front desk service & overcharged” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles

You added Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles to your Saves list
Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   506 South Grand Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90071 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Book Now & Save up to 20%
Ranked #140 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
“Poor front desk service & overcharged”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Very small rooms compared to appearance of hotel lobby which is extravagant. Very shell-shocked when I first walked into the room. Poor front desk service, unfriendly..and they overcharged me four hundred dollars which was not reimbursed upon checkout. Had to call numerous times to get ahold of a manager. Not given any traveling information upon check in either. Bell hops were the nicest & friendliest staff. Overall, hotel is overpriced.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Turkish first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We arrived on the 27th September for 3 nights on the final stop of our holiday. The lobby area of this hotel is amazing, can feel the history. There is a corridor full of black and white pictures of parties held years ago. The hotel is very busy with conventions and weddings. The swimming pool is very old fashioned but clean and was very impressed with cleanliness of the changing rooms.
Our room was ok, a bit outdated but had a big flatscreen tv, coffee maker and free WIFI. However the negative points was the bathroom wasn't very clean, some of the tiles were covered in dirt. Also we were put into a corner room on level 7, we were opposite Pershing Square which at night was full of beggars and this didn't make me feel particularly safe. At night it was so noisy, the single glazed windows were useless at sound proofing, the bed might as well have been on the sidewalk...noisy buses, rubbish trucks, all night there was shouting and screaming, really put me off and I didn't want to be out in the dark. We were there on a Sunday and the area was deserted because its a business area, with only a coffee shop and a Subway open. The underground station was just around the corner, we went to Universal City and Hollywood and this was very easy and the underground system was very efficient.
If I went to LA again, I wouldn't stay here and would prefer to be in Hollywood.

Room Tip: Avoid the corner by Pershing Square or take ear plugs!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a conference and although the actual hotel is breathtaking due to the history, architecture and paintings, the rooms are small and out dated a bit. Tiny bathrooms. Small toilet. Lots of movies and sitcoms are filled here, we had a show filming when we were there too. Location is nothing great bc not much to do in downtown LA.

• Stayed October 2012
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I travel a lot on business and normally stay in Hampton Inn's as they are consistent across the country. So I was really looking forward to staying downtown in this historic hotel. The granduer of the lobby areas is quite lovely! As many have said, they just don't build them like this anymore. While the room was small - it wasn't like being in London with their tiny rooms. The really small area is the bathroom, but I was traveling on business, so by myself, thus wasn't an issue. But I wouldn't want to stay in a standard room for several days with my hubby - as it would have felt cramped. The funny thing was the shower curtain that mauls you in the shower! Seems like a hotel that has been around this long would have figured out how to buy a shower curtain with either magnets or weights at the bottom to keep it from flying into you while showering! I finally had to put the middle part of the shower curtain outside the bathtub, which meant there was water on the floor after my shower. But hey - I finished my shower without the shower curtain wrapped around me! Would stay again for business, but not for pleasure.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Den Bosch, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed here 2 nights. The lobby and lounge of the hotel look really great, beautiful early 20th century. But that's where the fun stops, my room was old and tired. It wasn't dirty but it didn't feel entirely fresh. And at a rate of 300USD a night that is just unacceptable, yes it's downtown LA but still. The rooms aren't the only thing that are overpriced. The breakfast is basic, yet 18 USD, not too mention parking: 40 USD a night, seriously(?). Park across the street on Olive street under the park for 16 USD a night.
I would not stay here again, simply because there are way better alternatives. Also the staff wasn't too great, they did their thing, but a smile or friendliness is hard to find. And as a last point the airco's on the roof outside were very loud and annoying when I wanted to go to sleep, so bring early plugs, which I had with me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I recently stayed (July) at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel LA for the second time, both trips being for work. I have to say, this hotel is very elegant and the history of it seeps through as you first enter and encounter the hotel lobby. The lobby is open and airy and very inviting, intricate little details on the walls and in the hallways, and the staff was very pleasent to speak to and ask for help from if needed. Check-in was easy and my room was on an upper floor with a view.... of some other buildings overlooking W 5th street, but that's ok. My room had a king size bed and was very spacious. Carpets and bathroom were clean, the linen was fresh, and the bed was comfortable. To be a very old, large and a historic hotel, the staff does an amazing job at maintaining the property. You would also think that with being a downtown LA hotel, there would be a lot of traffic and noise, which there was, but only during rush hour. After rush hour, very quiet and peaceful.

I didn't get a chance to partake in any dining at the property due to the per diem I was on, but there were several eateries well within walking distance and I didn't mind splurging on those. I ate at La Salsa, on the corner of 5th and Figueroa, the Daily Grill on S Flower and W 6th, but my new favorite place was a new joint called Bottega Louie at the corner of S Grand and W 7th street.

Overall, my second stay here was as pleasent as my first and I would definitely stary here agian, for work or for pleasure.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
PsyT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

What an amazing hotel! This was our first trip to downtown L.A. and we felt we had to stay at the legendary Biltmore. The lobby floor, the tea room, the conference rooms are absolutely stunning. They really don't make buildings like this anymore. We enjoyed exploring the hotel. We got lucky and got a room on the 9th floor which is much quieter than on lower floors. This was room 969 located near the end of the hallway next to the emergency fire escape. Our room was huge and sunny - facing onto Pershing Square. It had a full walk-in closet, hallway, large seating/bedroom area. The only minor disappointment is that the bathroom was a bit outdated with pink tile, but it was perfectly functional. The staff were very professional, helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor when you check in. We got lucky and got a room on the 9th floor which is much...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles? Share your experiences!