“Just For A Short Stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Stillwell Hotel

You added Stillwell Hotel to your Saves list
Stillwell Hotel
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   838 South Grand Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90017 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #199 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
“Just For A Short Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

I was attending the L.A. Fit Expo and needed a moderate to low price hotel as I was on a budget as well as needing a decent rest stop for the duration of my stay at the LA Convention Center. I'd say this meets that.

Upon entry after a 6.25 hrs of flight time, I got there 1:00 p.m. which was 2 hrs before normal check in time of 3 p.m. (HOPING early check-in will be an option). I was so beat and worn out, only to be told by the front desk rep that though they've verified that the reservation was booked for 2, and I provided the name of my pal who booked the room, WHO was also competing in the Powerlifting Division at the expo - I was told I cant check in unless he's there. So I was told to go and eat or sit in the lobby. Well needless to say they held my luggage in the holding area and I went and ate a "Chipotle Restaurant" nearby n got back to the hotel and ended up sleeping in the lobby till my pal arrived at about 4:45 p.m. I was a bit annoyed with the whole thing of not letting me check in but I had to come to grips that they (The HOTEL STAFF) was only doing their jobs but I thought just by the look of me with all my athletic gears and so on they could have used their judgment and just allow me to get some rest after explaining my travel time from the east coast due to my flight having a layover.

Well like I said, it was only a place for a short stay and it serves its purpose. The lobby was average. What I did like was the fact that there were 2 Indian Restaurants that was in the lobby and the staff were very friendly whether you are ordering or just inquiring about their menus, so after a long day at the Convention Center, if you don't want to venture far out, you can definitely find something on the menu in the Indian Restaurants.

Room Tip: Please make sure that if there's more than one person staying in the room its noted at the time...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Fall City, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I traveled to a business conference at the L.A. Convention Center that lasted three days. So, I needed three nights at a hotel within reasonable walking distance of the convention facility. When I booked I was grateful to find the Stillwell Hotel, charging only $75/night (compared with easily three times that amount for other nearby hotels). On arrival, I was concerned, though, by the outdated, and frankly somewhat shop-worn appearance of the hotel's exterior, lobby, elevators and the corridor on the floor leading to my room. Had I made a big mistake? As it turns out, my room was just fine for my needs - the flat-panel TV was sharp and clear and had a variety of channels I watched, the bed was as comfortable as I needed it to be; there was a microwave and small refrigerator; the room was clean and odor-free; the bathroom had hot water for shaving/showering (more than I can say for some much more expensive hotels), and the room had a secure pass-card lock. The staff at the reception desk was very courteous and helpful. In the evenings I also walked to several restaurants that were surprisingly nearby the Stillwell that were convention venues for our association and I felt safe enough walking around. So, looking back on my three night stay, I am very grateful for the inexpensive and convenient accommodations I had at the Stillwell, and would recommend it to other hearty business travelers. Thanks for the good stay, Stillwell Hotel!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Vernon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

The Stillwell Hotel was located in a great area. A block away from the high priced Sheriton. A ten minute walk to the Nokia Theatre, Staples Center and LA Convention Center. 5 minute walk to many restaurants, The Pantry, 7/11 and Rite Aid. Uncle John's Restaurant in the loby is great. Great walking all over downtown. We recieved what we asked for from Hotels.com requests; 10th floor(top floor) with morning sun! You can access the roof from the west stairwell. Great views! And private sun tanning!! No hidden costs added to the bill. The room was absolootly fine. Double bed, closet and bathroom. We asked for a hairdyer and they gave us one. I would stay there again for suuuure! We were there for 4 days. A surprise get away for my wife with tickets te the Hillsong Conference.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Southern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel about a year ago now (they actually have been doing some updating since I stayed, too!). The hotel is very budget, but is in a very convenient location smack in the middle of downtown LA. It is about a block from a full size grocery store and is walking distance to LA Live (which is where our event was). The front desk staff was very polite, and our room was clean. It is pretty outdated, but considering the price, I didn't expect more. The rooms are very large considering the age of the hotel (our closet was almost like a second room!). If you are low on cash and need to stay in downtown, this is the place to go. It's not top of the line, but I felt safe and the room was clean. I also had no issues of theft, which, I had to admit, I was fearful of considering the area. Please be aware there is no parking for this hotel that is free, but the lot next door has very nice workers (I actually attended FIDM which is right across the intersection from the hotel, and this is the lot I used while attending school). Your car will be safe here, just make sure to tell them you are staying at the hotel because they park the "overnight" cars in a certain place up front so you can come and go.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

This hotel was our 2nd on our trip to California. We enjoyed the great location, all the room had to offer and its very clean look. There was space to put things and we both liked it very much; Using public transportation it was great to see how much local bus service and light rail was within walking distance.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

As most reviews mention, this hotel is central to many venues and is excellent value for money (Book early for the best deal) Don't be put off by the decore. It may look a bit dated, but at least it doesn't look like every other bland cookie-cutter chain-style hotel.

I needed to check in very early and had no issues whatsoever. The lady who checked me in was professional and very helpful with area information. The elevators are a bit small, so if you have claustrophobia you probably don't want a room on a high floor. The hotel itself feels quite warm, but the A/C in the room is adjustable (and works fine!)

The rooms are very clean. Minibar/fridge in room is perfect for keeping your own drinks/snacks chilled. Flat screen TV includes many cable channels. Bathroom was small but clean, plenty of towels.The room also had an abnormally large closet, and a desk. Nice view of the downtown area, too.

Walking distance (less than 10 minutes) to Staples Center, Nokia Theater and the Convention Center. Also within a 5-10 minute walk are Macy's, Target, Walgreens, RiteAid, Chipotle, Dennys and other fast food.

Room Tip: Book early for the best rate (Especially if you are planning to stay for a convention)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Costa Mesa, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

i spent the night here,cause i was in LA for a concert. Anyways most of what i read for reviews of this place werent to far off. first of the front desk clerk was rude he was on his cell phone and tol us to wait. lobby was a mess and dirty then when he finally got of the phone he said "what do we want". no hello or high what a jerk, then when we got our key he didnt even tell us where the room was he just kind og threw the key at us and that was it. when he finally go to our room it was on the tenth floor we didnt mind that cause we go to go on the roof and get a wonderfull view of LA, but that was the only nice part of this place. Our room well i can say I've had better rooms at motels then this place the staff was rude and the plave just felt like it needs a facelift. But the place it was at felt safe i didnt need to worry about the people just the hotel was a mess. Smelled a bit off kinda like the pesitcide Raid. But again it was what you paid for if you guys with friends like i did i wont matter. But just like others have said it no frills and just a room and a bed, though the bed was really stiff

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Stillwell Hotel? Share your experiences!