“Service Good, Hotel Room average” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Enjoy Savings of 20%
Ranked #102 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Calgary
“Service Good, Hotel Room average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2007

Negative:
Being living in Canada, I travel a lot and stayed at different Hotels. Thinking staying downtown LA at Radisson would be nice, but that was not the case.
I had a executive room upgrade on the 10th flr and it did not feel like an upgrade at all. The bathtub felt like a stage and you get into it and after a shower, my husband almost fell stepping out of it. As for the toliet, it's impossible to use it with the bathroom door in the way of the toliet. Even when the door is closed, your face seems to be right against the back of the door. The AC was so loud and impossible to regulate the room temperature with it. Even after we left on the 4th day, no matter how we tweek the settings, temperature was never in the "just right" zone. The pillows looked fluffy, but once you sleep on it, it's dead flat. Sore necks is what we got after this trip.
There were so many students in and out of the hotel, over the long weekend when were there, my husband tells me it feels more like a dorm than a hotel from the 9th floor down.
To pay $169 for one night is not worth it at all, the value is not there.
--- What kind of a executive room is this?

Positve:
Hotel staff were very polite and helpful with directions, that was the only good part I remembered.

• Liked — Customer Service
  • Disliked — Upgrade Room
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Orangevale, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2006

We stayed in July 2003. We chose this hotel because it is right by USC. We thought it would be a decent hotel. Boy, were we wrong! The hotel needs to be remodeled! I don't think it's been since the 1980s they remodeled. The rooms were ok when we got there,but here is where the cleanliness is a problem. I had a soda in my room and when I went to finish it, there were ants everywhere! Boy, that's awful! Their high speed internet access is ok. The cafe next door served your average food but it was pretty good. I don't think we will stay here again unless we have to. The only good thing is it is right next to campus. Stay here only if you have a son or daughter going to USC. Otherwise, stay at a Holiday Inn. They have cleaner rooms.

• Liked — right by USC
  • Disliked — the cleanliness
  • Tips/Secrets — Only go here for any USC buisiness.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Haverhill, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2006

Let me start off by saying that I am a Hilton Honors Gold VIP member, and a Starwood Preferred Guest Gold Member. I usually spend about 15-20 nights a year in hotels. I also do not provide room numbers in reviews for privacy reasons, if you would like the room number, please email me.

I choose this hotel because I had some business to do in downtown LA, and since I had a gift certificate to a Radission (that Radisson gave me as a result of a previous problem at another property) I choose this hotel since it was the closest Radisson to downtown LA.

This is a direct qoute off the hotel's website: "The spacious 240 newly remodeled rooms include 14 lanais (junior suite) plus 5 beautiful appointed suites. Like a jewel, everything sparkles.", the website also states the hotel has High Speed internet.

This is the first hotel that I have reviewed on Trip Advisor (Out of around 15) that I gave lower than a 3 circle rating to.

I arrived via a shared-ride shuttle from LAX, and not a single bell-person offered to help me with my bags, even though there were 2 employees sitting at the bell desk right next to the hotel's entrance.

Room:
I checked-in, and the agent asked another employee if the room was ready, I thought this as normal, and brushed it off. When I arrived at the room, it was old, musty, hot, and had a horrible smoke odor (the hotel is supposed to be 100% non smoking). I left my bags in the room and went back to the check-in desk. A different agent assigned me a new room on the same floor. The new room was better, but definately was not rennovated, and had several sticky stains on the carpet. The rooms are old, and the bathrooms are small, with old gross toilets, and odd tubs that are atleast 2 feet off the floor. There is even a sign in the bathroom warning to use the handrail when getting in and out of the tub. There was also no high speed internet as advertised on Radisson's website.

Service:
As I Said before, service was horrible, besides doing the basics of check-in and check-out.

Location:
This hotel is right on the main USC campus, and is also within walking distance from the Shrine Auditorium, besides that, there is really not much in the area.

Dining:
Since there is hardly anything in the area, I ordered room service. The 6" pizza for $6.95 was horrible and had a bad taste and the french fries had a horrible aftertaste. I would not recommend ordering from any of the on-site resturants at all costs.

Misc:
As other reviews have noted, the first 5 floors of this hotel double as a USC student dorm, which would have been nice if guests were warned of this before checking in.

I would NOT stay in this hotel again, nor do I NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. It should be closed and de-listed as a Radisson property.

• Tips/Secrets — Advoid this property at all costs
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsburgh, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2006

This hotel doubles as a USC student dorm. Unless that appeals to you- stay away! The food was awful. The shower ran hot then cold, with no comfortable in between. The bed was horribly uncomfortable. The staff was helpful and friendly, but neither helpful nor friendly enough to convince me to return. Unless you only want to see USC, rent a car.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
SAN FRANCISCO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2006

A hotel is a bed and a shower away from home.

These are the basics.

They fail miserably in both of these categories.

No comfort in an old bed with sheets that did not fit the bed. The pillows were very hard.
We tried to control the heat in a cold drafty room.
It was either too hot or we had to turn it off.

The shower was very strange. You had to take a big step up to get in, where you stood above the water flow?
There was no way to control the temperature. It fluctuated from warm, cold, very hot...cold, and this was without touching the dial.

By the way, this was not unique to our room.
We got two rooms for four guests.
We had plenty to talk about at lunch. The same war stories. Towels that were so thin, they looked like they were stolen from a downtown gym.
Needless to say, we did not get a good nights rest, we were all aching from a bad nights stay.

The only benefit was it's a close walk to USC.

• Stayed April 2005
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2006

As an alumnus of USC who returns to cheer on the football team, I have stayed at this Radisson hotel (directly across the street from USC) many, many times through the years. Every time, I am consistently disappointed.

In short, the hotel is a joke.

The rooms are in bad shape -- have never been updated since the hotel was built...I'm guessing cica 1980?

Service is terrible. Food is terrible.

The hotel is simply 'terrible' in every way.

The only reason to stay here is if a) you need to stay literally across the street from USC or b) you know that you'll be so drunk at the football game that you need to be able to "stumble to your room."

Otherwise, stay away.

• Stayed April 2002
Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2004

Let’s start with the fact the hotel says it offers high-speed Internet access. No, they don’t—they have a “kit” that will allow you to hop on USC’s network, but it would take an engineering degree to accomplish this feat. The hotel is rather dirty and is adjacent to a major freeway; if you are noise sensitive to any degree, forgetting about getting any sleep. Lastly, the bath towels are tiny and wafer thin. Maybe if you’re in LA for a college football game, the place is passable, but for business travelers—forget it!

Been to Radisson Midtown at USC? Share your experiences!