“Close to USC and Pretty Good Place. But where to eat?” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Enjoy Savings of 20%
Ranked #102 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Victoria, Canada
“Close to USC and Pretty Good Place. But where to eat?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We went to see Bruce Springsteen, who had a concert at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena. The location of the hotel could not have been better. We were within easy walking distance! It's also close to some excellent attractions and museums that we enjoyed, including Los Angeles, Exposition Park, Natural History Museum of LA County, the California Science Center and the California African-American Museum (highly recommended!) It's also handy to several sports complexes, including Memorial Coliseum (a National Historic Landmark and home to USC Trojans football) and Memorial Sports Arena. Finally, it's close to the new LA rapid transit line.

As a Radisson hotel it's pretty middle-of-the-road. The rooms are nice but just okay. And in our three days we never did figure out the restaurant & bar, which seemed to be closed most of the time. No worries, there are plenty of good bistros in the area but they're open during the daytime only. It's strange. The area pretty much rolls up the streets at night and we had to take a cab to a CVS Pharmacy to get a few bottles of wine...it was pretty tough to get a drink.

I suspect the reason for these lapses was that the hotel had just been purchased by the University of Southern California and is in a a state of transition. But the staff was helpful and friendly and the location great if you're visiting the USC area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Figueroa. You'll have a nice view of USC.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Alton, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

OK so when you have a problem good luck a manager!! The front dest staff is very nice and they try very hard to help, but getting somethings done sometimes needs to be done by a manger. EXCEPT they are NEVER THERE!!! Why would a Hotel not have a manager on every shift? I got stuck in a room that had no cold water!!! The carpet is fealthy, they elevators are scary, almost wonders if you will make it to the next floor. Just gross! I feel bad for the people that work here. I heard that this hotel was owned by USC, why would they allow these kinds of conditions. Maybe the Dean should go in and take a look. Better yet stay a couple of nights there!! Thats what I'm talking about. My next trip to California will not be spent in that Hotel. I would like to to mention one more time, that the front desk was much help to me considering my situation. Bravo to Amanda and Scott for having so much on your plate, and still being professional and very helpful. I did have a great time in LA, thanks for them giving me advice as to where to hang out. If there was a manager around to hear this that would of been awesome, but my time was up in LA and it was time to go and the 3 days that I was there never did I see a manager or able to talk to one. Shame on you USC and Radisson! I really wanted to give a 3 star for the front desk, because everyone there was great! But the management not being present to help out just bugs me to no end.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Santa Cruz
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I thought a Radisson was a good bet for a business trip. Not so much. There is a $20 charge to park in the parking garage, or a bit of a hike to find other parking. The lobby was nice and clean, but when I got onto the elevator, I thought I was in the service elevator. Dirty carpet, very banged up. Carpets in the hallways needed a cleaning. The room was surprsingly small with a very small bathroom. Disappointing,

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We booked this hotel through Hotwire and stayed there for 4 nights.
Hotel - good location right across from USC, short cab to LA Live. Clean area, lots of restaurants close by with good, cheap food (Jacks n Joe on South Figueroa).
Room - large room, great TV, strong WiFi connection using free USC network, poor shower but otherwise a large, well-kept bathroom, comfy beds.
Location - good location, close to LA Live, ~$40 cab to Beverly Hills / LAX / Santa Monica.
Staff - front desk was helpful, especially the concierge who helped us on several occasions.
Would have given the hotel a higher rating, but we spent one day close to the hotel, one day in Beverly Hills/Hollywood/Griffith Park, one day at Universal Studios, and one day at Venice beach/Third Street Promenade/Santa Monica Pier, and found that with highly congested traffic we spent way too much on cabs. Could be worth it to book a hotel closer to the spots you plan on visiting to reduce amounts spent on cabs.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Clifton Park, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We spent 2 nights of our 5-day trip to LA here at the Radisson. Very classy, clean and nice. Had an outstanding dinner at the hotel restaurant, McKay's. In fact, it was the best meal we had in LA. It could not be more convenient to USC. Our son had an audition there. We enjoyed the hotel very much.

Room Tip: Bottom floor saves you wasted time on elevators.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
B
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

The first impression was depressing: dark entryway. The elevator to the rooms looks as if it belongs in a tenement. It is banged up, with torn and filthy carpeting, and dingy metalic walls. There is no central air conditioning, but I didn't crank up the window unit because the filter is visibly filthy. The windows are streaked with grime. The restaurant smells of old, dirty carpeting, and the kitchen ran out of some menu items before 8 am. I can't wait to get home.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

This hotel has had mixed reviews so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. We were in town for a USC orientation program and received a great rate (better than the rate I usually booked at the Vagabond) so decided to try it.

Upon arrival, we were 1 hour early and the hotel didn't yet have a room to put us in but told us to come back at 3pm (regular check in time). At 3, the room still wasn't ready but the desk clerk put us in a jr. suite on the first floor 106, next to the gym with two queen beds n/s. The room was very comfortable and extremely quiet - the only thing I could see that made it a suite would be the two steps down into a little area with a patio, comfy chair, and desk/chair set up. Not quite what I have experienced in other hotel "suites" but very comfy. The only complaint I have is that the room is extremely dark - even with the curtains drawn. It faces east - that said, we were hardly ever in the room - USC makes sure you get your orientation fee's worth when visiting.

Pluses: the pool area was wonderful - hot tub, pool, lots of loungers, tables, chairs. Sunny in late afternoon. (Key entry didn't work for a lot of guests - had the key rekeyed twice while there). Quiet! Much more so than the Vagabond. Beds - extremely comfy, maid service - great. morning coffee and tea and granola bars, fruit in lobby - nice touch (also coffee maker in room). Parking garage - easy access but the $20 per day is way more than the vagabond (free) and I didn't notice any security - but it is covered. Big flat screen tv - excellent reception, USC free wi-fi - worked extremely well.

Overall for this price: A+ for this trip. Not sure I would pay over $200 per night plus parking when the Vagabond averages $100-$150 (high season) no parking fees but the quiet nights sleep was a definite plus. The only reason to give 4 instead of a 5 is the confusion at the front desk during checking - saw quite a few people trying to solve room problems during my stay (air con, keys not working, et).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Radisson Midtown at USC? Share your experiences!