“Week long Stay with Many Pluses & Some Minuses” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel

You added Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel to your Saves list
Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11461 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90049 (Westside)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #39 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
New York City, New York
“Week long Stay with Many Pluses & Some Minuses”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

My girlfriend and I took a a week long vacation at West LA in early-mid January to see some friends and enjoy the nicer weather this time of year compared to where we are from. The hotel is VERY conveniently located right by the intersection of 405 and Sunset Blvd and close to most of the major attractions around town. The property is spacious and artfully maintained. The hotel buildings are less well maintained and can feel a bit outdated at times, with walls and furniture showing signs of aging and unevenly hung wall decors.

The staff was professional yet friendly. I left behind multiple items in my room after check out and they just about bent over backward to help me ship back all of my things. The consistency and reliability of their services over the entirety of our extended stay were impeccable.

We originally reserved one of the "vista suite" that promised unique design and a "sweeping city views." However, the room as we came to find out featured predominantly highway 405 with the skyline of some city barely noticeable in the background. The "unique design" was basically an odd infusion of several pieces of oriental wooden furniture around the room.

The faucet from the tub had brown water coming out initially and there were a couple of some sort of insects in the room. This indicated that the particular room had not been occupied for some time, and the water and the bugs terrified us. In addition, because the room was so close to the highway, noises from it became loud enough to disturb our sleep in the morning during AM rush.

Obviously we requested a room change the next morning, and the front desk was beyond helpful. We were "upgraded" to a junior suite, which I thought was less expensive, but we were more than happy about the room change. We were much happier about the rest of our stay.

Room Tip: Vista Suites can be noisy and don't set your expectation too high on the "vista"
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Kelly H, Director of Operations at Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Insight_ming,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your stay with us. Your kind comments about the staff and the property are appreciated. I'm happy that your interaction with the Front Desk staff was so positive. However, I am disappointed to hear that the Vista suite was not to your liking. We have many return guests that request these rooms because of their uniqueness. I will certainly bring up the issue of the water and insect in your room to our Director of Housekeeping. Obviously, the room should have been inspected thoroughly for any discrepancies. I can assure you that this is not typical of our guests' experience.

Once again, thank you for the review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. We will have a Junior Suite waiting!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We just spent a week at the Luxe and were previously there 6 years ago. The staff are generally nice. The front desk gave us a room facing the 405, so of course it's noisy. We called to be moved and were given a room facing some plants and a mound of dirt, my wife said it felt like a dungeon. They finally moved us the next day to a room facing the pool, much better.
The attraction for us is the pool and the west Sunset location that is removed from the city. The hotel itself is very cheaply constructed and as a result the walls are quite thin, meaning you can hear EVERYTHING your neighbors next to you and above you are saying and doing....not good. Finally, the dining room lists a French chef but he must have graduated bottom of his class and been exiled from France because he can't seem to get a soup, salad or truffle orzo (mushy) right. My guess is he is simply "phoning it in" at this point and is enjoying his LA lifestyle, while not doing the important work of actually training and supervising his staff in how to make good food. We still like the Luxe but learned to steer clear of the dining room. As for the thin walls, just pray you have discreet, respectful neighbors.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear duffmannyc,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. Your feedback is invaluable to us. Obviously, we did not meet your expectations in a few different areas. Normally, our Chef and his cuisine are highly complimented so I am especially concerned about the experience you had. I have sent you a private message through TripAdvisor and look forward to discussing the issues you experienced in detail.

I do hope to hear from you and would appreciate the chance to welcome you back!
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

My Wife and I were truly surprised and WILL BE BACK! A bit hidden away - basically just below the GETTY...... a true oasis. Modern and Warm. Clean and Fresh. Large Rooms, with GREAT amenities. BUT, what really sets the LUXE SUNSET apart is the SERVICE! EVERYONE.... and i mean everyone - was kind, generous, smiling and engaged. I wouldnt believe it to be real - but a saw and felt it myself!

Cant say enough - its GREAT.

Room Tip: SPA level by the POOL!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear p-mshires,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay went. On behalf of the team here at Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel, we are humbled by your kind comments about the service you experienced. It will be a pleasure to pass your words on to the staff as I know they love to hear how they influence our guest's experience.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back soon!
Zamora de Hidalgo, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I stayed at the Luxe Hotel for 4 nights in February for an Event at the Getty Center and can not fault it in the slightest.

The reception staff are extremely helpful.

Location wise couldn't be better, it is 2 minutes from the Getty.

The room was comfortable and spacious.

Would stay again for sure!

Room Tip: I got a 2nd floor room and it was quite nice, but without a view. On a future stay I might opt for a...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Blanca M,

Thank you so much for your review! We are all so pleased to hear that you had such a good stay with us!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

A hotel that presents itself as a high priced luxury hotel should give its guests a perfect, or near-perfect experience. Being able to fix the many problems just doesn't do it.
On the positive side, the hotel had an amazing staff and excellent food. But a toilet that flushes badly is a terrible first impression in a luxury hotel. Also, the radio could not be tuned from one station and the television control did not work. The room was large, but incredibly noisy with loud noise from the parties on the floor below. Unless you have a car, the location is totally inaccessible. My wife and I stayed here for a family event, but would not choose it for our own trip. I wanted to rate the hotel average, but the super high prices for what we didn't get lowers the rating.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Stephen L,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations. We position our property as "affordable luxury" in a very desirable location and your feedback is very important to us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the service from our staff and thought the food was excellent. However, I am disappointed to hear about the issues with the room you were in. We are currently addressing the issue of noise that you experienced by adding buffer materials between the rooms. I will also bring the other issues to our Housekeeping staff to ensure all amenities in the room are working properly.

Once again, thank you for your review and I do hope that you will give us another chance in the future.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

The hotel was wonderful. One of the best hotels i have stayed in while in Los Angeles. I had a wonderful experience for it being my first time to this property. The staff treated me very kindly and made me feel like a super star. The rooms were very modern and accommodating. We stayed in the "spa level" in a room facing the pool that had a great view. All the staff was great in particular Hudith who assisted us through out our stay and made this a wonderful experience. She welcomed us with a sincere smile and went out of her way to escort my wife and I in a golf cart to our room. She assisted us in organizing our visit to Los Angeles by arranging Tours, Dining reservations, local attractions and transportation. Each time we walked to the desk she greeted us by our names. Sheldon escorted us to dinner in a nearby restaurant, he was great! Upon departure the bell man was very helpful in ensuring we had enjoyed our stay. Thank you for such a wonderful experience! Cheers!

• Stayed January 2014
Kelly H, Director of Operations at Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Dear Bret1962,

We are all so pleased to hear about your recent stay with us! Thank you so much for the wonderful comments about our staff. In particular, Hudith. You have made her somewhat of a celebrity at the Front Desk. I made special mention of her and this review at our employee luncheon. It really means a lot to our staff to know the effect they have on our guests. They have such genuine pride in what they do every day. Thank you for making a special mention about it. It will be a pleasure to also pass on your comments to Sheldon and the other Bellmen.

We are all so happy that you had a wonderful experience with us and we look forward to many more!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

We travelled for work recently and Luxe on Sunset was by far the best hotel I have stayed at. It has a very calming ambience, the rooms are very comfortable, location is convenient; close to Beverly Hills, UCLA, Brentwood, Westwood, and Hollywood. But the staff are its biggest asset, everyone from porters, to barman to front desk are obviously trained to the highest standard in the industry. If you want to feel special visit Luxe on Sunset. Other hotel owners should visit to learn how a hotel should be run. My thanks to the hotel staff for making our stay unforgettable, in particular Kyala, Steve, Alfons, Sheldon. My apologies if I forgot someone.
Charles Lukasik, room 218.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Charlesukasik,

On behalf on the staff here at the Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel, thank you so much for the kind words in your review. I couldn't agree more in you saying that our staff is our greatest asset! The team here is such a pleasure to work with every day. I'm so delighted that they had such an impact on you. We recently had an employee luncheon and I read this review to the staff as a group. Thank you for such a great moment.

We all look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Been to Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel? Share your experiences!