“A good place to stay in Los Angeles” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel

You added Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel to your Saves list
Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11461 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90049 (Westside)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #41 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Malmo, Sweden
“A good place to stay in Los Angeles”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Great hotel, better than i expected. Good location very close to the San Diego Freeway. Good pool area, friendly an helpful staff and there is a small gym. Clean rooms, comfortable beds. The restaurant was not that impressive though.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Herts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed at the Luxe for 4 days and were very impressed. Compared to other LA hotels it was good value, enabling us to book three rooms and spread our children out. The rooms were extremely spacious and well equipped. Comfortable beds, good quality bed linen and plenty of good quality towels. The service at check-in and during our stay was excellent. Staff were generally extremely helpful and polite and keen to be of assistance.

Overall there is an atmosphere of peace and calm, in contrast to the general bustle of LA. This extends to the pool area where sunbeds were easy to secure. The poolside menu had a good selection of food which was delicious, although we did have the odd problem with items being missed off.

Breakfast was excellent with a wide variety and good coffee! The only down for us was on our last day (Sunday) when we had to have breakfast promptly to catch a flight. There was clearly a large private function taking place which meant that the outdoor seating area was not in use and several waiting staff had been reallocated. This reduced available seating by half and meant a wait for a table and then very slow service, which was slightly stressful as we needed to leave. We raised this with staff on checking out, who assured us that our comments would be passed to the manager.

Overall I would definitely recommend this as a good place to stay in LA. There is a complimentary shuttle service within a certain radius of the hotel and the location means that you are outside the worst of the central LA traffic. Valet parking is $25 per day, which seems a lot, but is actually fairly competitive: we had to pay $45 in Philadelphia! We found the valet attendants to be very helpful. Our only word of warning would be to be extremely generous in calculating journey times in and around LA from the hotel, as traffic could be extremely heavy, particularly getting out of the hotel onto the main road junction.

Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

The Luxe is a Jekyll & Hyde hotel. At times you feel you are in an 5 star resort and at others like you're in a 3 star motel. The 'off the highway' location is good and the hotel is suprisingly quiet. We booked a suite, located on the upper level which requires a walk or drive to get to the main building (reception & dining/bar). This requires an interaction with the valet, golf trolley where service is 'patchy'. Our room was large and well appointed though there is inter-room noise and house-keeping is 'hit & miss'...eg replacement coffee some days, some days not.

I had a number of parcels delivered and the front-desk and duty managers were at times very helpful and then again on some occasions just incompetent....verging on dismissive & rude.

And as further demonstration of the 'inconsistency'... despite requesting a late check-out on arriving, which was "refused" by the duty manager asking us to request on the day of our departure...I was too tired to argue....and to be clear I wasn't requesting a 'freebie', I wanted to pay a 'half-day' rate to extend our stay until 5pm...I was again refused on the day of our departure....to be told by the duty manager that I should have requested it on checking-in.....aaaaaah! My verbal tantrum at the reception resulted in being 'magically' told it was OK to pay them the 'half-day' rate......a resolution that met my requirements but ultimately left me feeling 'cold' towards the LUXE.

Like others mention, dining delays, slow response from reception & staff were also our experience.

There are too many other hotels in LA which offer as much if not more. The LUXE needs to lift its game.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelly H, Director of Operations at Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear brick_one,

Thank you for your review. Obviously, your experience was not up to your expectations, nor ours. We pride ourselves on providing genuine and personalized service so I was surprised to read about your interactions with the staff. I have sent you a private message in hopes of speaking with you in detail about your stay.

I look forward to your response.
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed at Luxe hotel two Days in July 2013. The interior of the hotel was great also the price was reasonable for this kind of hotel. But our experience of the visit at Luxe was unfortunately reduced by several incidents:
-Extremely long waiting time on Sunday for breakfast even if the restaurant was almost empty
-Breakfast was included in the price but we were told that only 2 of us 4 was included and we had to pay for the rest, which we did. This was corrected by the reception later but caused a lot of unnecessary waiting
-The sheets in the bed was full of stains when I Went to bed at 11.30 pm, when I told the reception they came up with new sheets I would have expect the staff to actually change it due to the time
-A bottle of Champagne (which was actually sparkling wine which had expired...) was included in the price but we didn´t get this Before we asked for it, I would have expected the hotel staff to rather offer it than do it when asked for it
-1 week after the visit we noticed an amount of approx 80 $ was taken from our bank account from Luxe. This was not shown on the receipt we got when checking out from the hotel and when we called the hotel (from Sweden) they could not tell us was it was. Finally we got information from our bank that it looked like some kind of reservation fee. The strange thing was that it was taken from the account the day we left the hotel not before. We have still not heard anlything from the hotel but Booking.com would check this further.
I also must say that many of the staff both in restaurant and reception were extremely service-minded and helpful and it is a Lovely hotel. Unfortunately these incidents really reduce the over-all experience which otherwise would give the Luxe hotel an excellent rating.

Dear Anna L,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us. Obviously, we did not meet your expectations as you encountered several issues while staying with us. I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced. These are not typical and I will follow up with each to find out why they happened. I have sent you a message and look forward to speaking with you.

We do appreciate the kind comments about our service and property.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We recently held our son's bris at the Luxe on Sunset and was extremely satisfied with the service. From the very beginning it was a pleasant experience. Our contact at the hotel was superb and on top of everything. She was very accommodating in any request we had. The hotel itself was beautiful, the grounds were very calming and although there were other events taking place at the same time you couldn't tell. The staff was excellent! The staffer that was assigned to our event couldn't have been nicer and went above and beyond. Not to mention, he always had a smile on his face. I would definitely recommend the Luxe on Sunset to others. We had such a great experience that my husband and I would like to come back for a get away stay and experience the hotel on a different level. In addition, it's so close to the highway for guests yet set back in a beautiful backdrop of nature.

Dear M E,

It was such a pleasure to read your review! On behalf of our Special Events team, Thank You. We are so pleased to know that your event was memorable and that our property was a part of that experience. I will most certainly pass on your comments to the Banquet staff.

We look forward to you and your husband joining us in the near future for a quick getaway!
Nacka, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The hotel exceeded our expectations! Excellent service and rooms. We where traveling south from San Francisco though Monterey and Santa Barbara and stayed at several different hotels. When I read reviews I believed the hotel to be smaller and less exclusive.

The hotel is situated in Westwood, easily accessible from the freeway. A great place to start your exploration of Los Angeles from.

Room and service was 5 star but the price where 3 star?!. A big postivie surprise! We are a family of five and we got a large room with 2 beds, sofa group and large bathroom and we decieded quickly to stay an extra day.

go here!

Dear PetterLundgren,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us! We all appreciate your kind comments about the property and service. We are so pleased that you chose us as your destination in Los Angeles and hope to welcome you back the next time you are visiting the U.S.!
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel before & the location was perfect along with the hotel being very nice itself, so I thought I'd try it again. Well not only was the same construction going on at the freeway exit to get to the hotel but there are no detours and no instructions from the hotel as to how to get there, it took me no less than 1 hour to get back to the hotel after leaving for dinner. The insane parking fee was supposed to cover safe parking at night but the valets parked other cars so close to me that I couldn't open my doors in the am when I needed to leave. The room was fine since I paid more for a suite, but I had the privacy sign on the door and the maid STILL knocked on my door! When it was time to leave and battle LA traffic, I called the bell desk, called the valet, called the front desk-numerous times and to no avail-not 1 person helped me to my car with my luggage, and when I was in front of the valets trying to load up my car, they didn't so much as offer a hand....seriously BAD service here. To top it all off, they are charging my card for mysterious charges that I did NOT incur. On the phone with them now and they are VERY unhelpful-HORRIBLE SERVICE! Stay somewhere else

Room Tip: If you're not in a suite, don't bother...the hotel used to be a lot better but now is NOT