“Showing Its Age” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel

Save Saved
You added Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel to your Saves list
Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11461 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90049 (Westside)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
SUITE SEPTEMBER DEAL
Ranked #29 of 323 Hotels in Los Angeles
Santa Fe, NM
“Showing Its Age”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Not that I have anything against getting older - doin' it myself, you know. But from the musty smell of my delightfully spacious room, to the maddeningly oh-so-tiny very-low-def wall-mounted TV screen, to scratched furniture and darkly painted hallways, I have to say the Luxe let me down. Not that there wasn't plenty good, there was. To a person, the staff was attentive, hospitable and thoughtful. The wi-fi was complimentary and strong. My room with a balcony at the top on the hill overlooking the pool was quiet even though only a few yards from major construction on the 405. There was plenty of hot water for my tub showers but the water drained so slowly that I ended up standing in several inches of soapy water. Rooms at the top seem to be quiet but they are a steep up and down climb to the lovely bar and restaurant and hotel facilities below. I was bothered by the expensive parking fee, $26 per night, more than 10% of the net room cost itself. The Luxe is well-located for getting around LA, pretty much at the intersection of Sunset Blvd and the 405, a fact that is currently "good news / bad news." When the on and off ramps to the 405 are open, it's good news but at night when the construction workers are active, the ramps are closed and I found myself frighteningly trapped on the 405 without knowing how to get off and back to the hotel. Especially considering the high cost of parking, the parking staff needs to be kept more current about that situation during this lengthy construction period and provide the guests with some printed directions to and from home for those periods when the ramps are closed. The physical setting is lovely and the grounds well-kept, but some upgrading and thoughtful remodeling to the buildings themselves is very much needed. Would I return to the Luxe? Probably...but only when I was assured that the attention to these matters has been complete.

Room Tip: Stay above for quiet and the pool, below for the hotel "action."
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Kelly H, Director of Operations at Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear SantaFeB,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. I apologize that we did not live up to your expectations. We greatly value the opinions of our guests and I would like to take this opportunity to address some of your observations. While we are very proud of the history of our property, we do understand that continuous upgrades and upkeep are extremely important to the overall experience of our guests. We are currently replacing all the televisions in the rooms to new 42" HD units. Also, we have recently added additional lighting, artwork, plants, and mirrors to the hallways in most of the property. In regards to the valet parking charge, we ensured that our fee was one of the lowest of our competitors in the area. Whenever there is road construction that we are made aware of, we are proactive and give our guests a map and detailed routes that are easy to follow. Apparently, this was not done in your case and I will follow up with our Manager as to why. I understand the frustration that this can cause and I am sorry that this happened to you. I would like to thank you for the kind remarks that you made about our staff and the setting of our hotel. I would also like to invite you to reach out to me personally at kelly.hendrix@luxehotels.com so that I may speak with you about returning and enjoying our new enhancements.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
bat54
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The staff is exceptionally accommodating -- unlike any place I've seen except at the very highest price point ( which this was not).

The facility is not cookie-cutter "corporate". Some reviewers have complained about the distance between spa wing and main wing -- it's a five minute walk the terrain involves a steep incline -- nothing as hard as steep streets in San Francisco, but when I wore heels one evening, I opted for the complementary hotel van rather than walk.

The rooms are spacious, clean modern design,linens abundant and soft.
Staff was uniformly sensationally accommodating.

Free van service within a 3-mile radius was unbeatable.
Restaurant had very good food, $14 at breakfast, dinner appetizers= $14, entrees =23$
Upon arrival The hotel gave me a voucher for a free glass of Wine .

Spa was largely booked-- I did get my eyebrows waxed, but otherwise it was entirely booked-- couldn't get mani-pedi or facial-- but recommended a local spa in westwood that was able to take care of me that day. "Beauty Connection" on S. Barrington Pl-- excellent and it had cheaper prices. I used the hotel van to go to and from..

For my stay of several nights I asked for a quiet room and was offered a 2nd floor spacious room in the sap wing of the hotel-- it was fine. But on my last night, when I had to leave for the airport the next morning at 4:30AM I noticed that a group of college students had arrived and I inquired about whether they would be staying near me. The answer was yes, and so the front desk agreed immediately to move me to another room so that I'd have a quiet last ( short) night. The way I figured it, I was packing up anyway, and moving for one night was worth it. The room was actually a suite ( upgrade) in the main building. Very comfortable-- same decor and feel, very quiet.

AN excellent hotel and amazing staff. I'd go again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Kelly H, Director of Operations at Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear bat54,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your recent stay. Your observations about our properties' decor is great to hear as we recently added mirrors and artwork to enhance the look in the hallways and public areas. I am pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate your request to change rooms on the last night to ensure your comfort. I will most certainly share your comments with our staff as they will be happy to hear that they were a part of making your stay a memorable one. We all look forward to welcoming you again soon!
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

So much has already been said, but a place I would definately reserve again. Just finished a 2 day stay here for nearby wedding. The property is the perfect size. Staff is friendly and accomodating. We were able to get early check-ins for our rooms.

Plus: Great lounge with happy hour prices for drinks and small plates, complimentary waters at turn down, turn down service, free wi-fi, heated swimming pool and hot sauna, shuttles to upper building and near-by venues within 2 miles, large rooms with patios, comfy beds, fan in bathroom, good water pressure in shower, room safe, free apples at desk.

Cons: No Jacuzzi, small closet, small flat-screen, although other rooms had bigger TV's, few venues in area to walk to, dark hallways, Valet park only.

I did not try the restaurant or spa. Maybe with my next visit.

Room Tip: If you want to use the pool and gym frequently, ask for the upper spa building where these are locat...
Lexington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I was visiting my grand daughter for Parents Weekend at UCLA. The hotel had been recommended by a friend who formerly lived in Bel Air. The proximity to the university was perfect. I was with my daughter so we needed a room with 2 beds which was on the 4th floor of the hotel with a view of the LA skyline. The room was spacious, well maintained and the housekeeping service was excellent. The best thing about the hotel was the amazingly gracious and prompt service by all the staff. I have stayed in very up scale expensive hotels but none had better service than I found at The Luxe. Their policy of driving you to any destination within 3 miles of the hotel was wonderful. One call to the front desk and a car arrived to chauffeur us to dinner and then picked us up when we were done. The drivers, notably Michael, Omar, and others were most polite and helpful. My one negative is that the hotel, built into the side of a hill, needs better access to and from the top floors to the main lobby - hopefully they will work on that because every thing else is perfect.

Dear samsondog1,

Thank you for the thoughtful review in regards to your stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit. Your kind words about our staff and the gracious service they provided is very appreciated. I will ensure that our Housekeeping staff as well as Michael and Omar are aware of your comments. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future!
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

After previously spending a week at a lower rated hotel in El Segundo, the Luxe was an awesome upgrade! The room was very modern and clean, and the staff was very friendly. The hotel is located off 405, and was a quick (in LA time) drive to all of the destinations we had.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dushanbe, Tajikistan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed in this hotel recently in September, 2012. We were a group of 11 people and this was my first trip to LA. I was really impressed by the hotel, rooms, services, reception, hotel personnel in general. We had great week there, it was unforgettable.
Rooms were clean with comfortable beds, and the nice thing was that every evening they put some chocolates and water and when you enter you will hear very slow, relaxing music, which was like a surprise for the first day of my stay there. Whenever we needed help, they always were ready to assist us. One member of our group got sick and he stayed in the hotel, so the hotel personnel were so friendly and helpful.
I really wanted to swim in the swimming pool which looked great but had no time, as it was closed after 10:00 pm, and we couldn't come back to the hotel earlier, but I went to gym which is open 24 hours in a day, and it was great!! If I ever go back to LA I definitely will stay in this hotel!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Kelly H, Guest Relations Manager at Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Muyassar,

We appreciate your kind review! I will ensure that your comments about our turn-down service are passed on to our Housekeeping staff. I am so happy to hear that our staff was accommodating and that you had an unforgettable stay with us. We all look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit. The pool will be waiting for you!
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Fist time at this hotel, visiting UCLA for the 4th, and we will stay here again next time. There are 2 buildingsin this hotel: the bottom of the hill building has the concierge and restaurant and bar. The room was very comfortable and clean. Great service! We switched to the SPA building, 1/2 a minute up the hill and the room was equally as comfortable, quieter, but it felt a little more dated. The location is great! just off the highway, but right in Bel Air/Brentwood and very convenient to the university. The staff is very pleasant, the valet service is one of the most courteous I've encountered.

Room Tip: Not a huge hotel, which is nice! If you do want a quiet evening, do request a room in the SPA buildi...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel? Share your experiences!