“Buyer beware” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Kawada Hotel

You added Kawada Hotel to your Saves list
Kawada Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 South Hill Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #213 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Buyer beware”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

If you think you are getting a room like the picture shown, you would be disappointed. The room is about 200 square feet. There is only room for a small chair. The shower and sink is tiny and inconvenient. There is no pots and pans or glasses and cups even though there are two stove tops and fridge. The front desk staff did change the room for us because the one given to us smells of smoke even though it was non smoking room.
Pros: Great for getting around downtown by foot or buss or subway. Grand Central Market is close by. Clean for being old hotel. Friendly and helpful staff. Price is good for downtown LA.
Cons: Very noisy. phone was not working when trying to set wake up call, in room coffee is instant coffee because it was a water heater instead of a coffee maker.

Room Tip: We were in room 103 which was extremely noisy. Try getting rooms on higher level to see if it might...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Thai first
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and were very happy with everything about the hotel.

The staff were extremely helpful and the room was fine. It's only a 3 minute walk to the subway. We went to Hollywood from the local subway station for less than $2 each.

There are quite a few places to visit that are walking distance like the foyer of the Los Angeles Times, the indoor food market, Walt Disney concert hall, NYPD offices, the Grand park at night, the banking district and the Japanese quarter.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2014

The downstairs of the hotel makes you think to are entering this nice, maybe even upscale hotel. However.... As soon as you enter you room you will be surprised.
The carpets were dirty, the AC/Heat was broken (thank god we were here in November), the room had only one light bulb that was working, no amenities in the bathroom (just shampoo), there's an intercom in the bathroom (like those in hospitals.. very weird), one very small tv sitting on a desk, and the worst part is the smell. At first we thought the cleaning lady had smoked pot in the room while cleaning, but then we realized the smell was coming from the bathroom vent. So the first night was pot and the second was cigarettes. We had to smell it all night long.. Even with the bathroom door closed we could still smell it.
We checked for bugs and were lucky not to find any. That's the only reason why we ended up staying.

Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Los Vegas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2014

Just terrible. The whole place vibrates from the nightclub underneath. The windows shake. I had to take the elements out and put on the ground. elements? Why. There are no pots or pans. Coffee machine? A jug would have done the job, not a water heater thing. Not one second of sleep. They gave me a free breakfast voucher for next door and it did not even open.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2014

I don't care how reasonable of a rate you get, don't stay here!!
It was the chosen hotel for the end of my trek america trip, so we ended up booking for 3 nights. Bad idea. It's dilapidated, dirty and grubby. The room was disgraceful, and they gave us a slightly better one after we complained. The first one wasn't fit for human habitation.
The staff weren't necessarily rude but just didn't seem to care about anything.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Beverly Hills, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2014

This hotel has the worse service possible. There is cockroaches in the bathrooms. There is noise all night from the street and the clubs.... The valet hit my car and caused a $4500 damage. The manager was very rude and refused to take responsibility. DO NOT stay at this hotel even if they offer a low rate.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2014

So this review is my own personal experience and I know we all have our own. So myself and my friend stayed in the hotel for four days before we started traveling. After we checked in I asked if I could use the stairs and the guy behind the counter said *No* and that it was for emergency only so coming down I tried using the stairs and the door was locked and if there had been a fire I don't know what I would of done. So the hotel room... Don't get me wrong it was nice and a good size the tv only worked In Spanish and there was also a stove in our room. Now the only problem I had with staying here was that there is nothing around no shops there seemed to be a few bars and restaurants. If you want to go to Venice beach it's about 30 minutes on the bus this is $1 dollar 50 the drivers do like you to have the right change. So Hollywood if you want to do the walk of fame/ China theater I would highly recommend doing it in the early morning otherwise you can't move we booked a celebrity house tour at 11 and got back into Hollywood for 2 and you have people in your face selling you all sorts don't take anything because you will have to tip same with all the cartoon characters they will hug you and then ask for a photos and then pull a jar out and you will have to pay. Like a said at the beginning so I hope you have enjoyed reading and I have helped.

• Stayed August 2014

Been to Kawada Hotel? Share your experiences!