“Good location.. good value...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kawada Hotel

You added Kawada Hotel to your Saves list
Kawada Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 South Hill Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #215 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
Cairns, Australia
“Good location.. good value...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

2 days in LA downtown and I found this hotel to be well located, clean, well equipped... cheap wifi and very well priced.

For what you pay it's good value...

Neat and tidy... secure...

Not a lot of room in your room.. but for what you pay it's just fine...

Kitchenette (ccoktop) is there but byo equipment!!

Close to everywhere in downtown LA

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Thai first
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed at this hotel at the beginning of June during a conference in L.A. The hotel was clean, the staff were friendly and they provided us with a quite and comfortable place to sleep. The AC unit was very loud, so we ended up turning it of during the night, but otherwise had a good experience. Since the hotel was within walking distance of the convention centre, a local food market and many other restaurants, it made it very easy for us to enjoy the time we were there without worrying about needing a rental car.

I was surprised to see that our "kitchenette" only included a min-fridge and no coffeepot, microwave etc.

Overall, the place was clean, though in need of updating and the staff was professional and courteous. We'd stay there again next year if we attend the conference again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Just stayed 3 nights while attending a weekend event at the Convention Center. Good, helpful staff ...

BUT: No hot water, uneven bed, worn bedspread, broken bathoom cabinet with exposed nails, bathroom outlet not working, no consistent TV reception (just FOX and an odd cable station--No ABC, CBS or NBC), stuffy hallways and no coffee maker in room. The good staff is the ONLY reason it is getting 2 stars.

The Cherry Pit Cafe next door is good for breakfast...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

My wife and I, and our friends were put up at the Kawanda Hotel on the first night of our final leg of our vacation in California.
I have never stayed in a worse hotel, the bed was short sheeted (sheet to small to fit as bottom sheet so quarter of bed was not covered. Never found the mini bar, old A/C unit that turned off and on all night (never cooled the room) Room was dirty and floor not leveled (everything leaned). After it got dark the Bums came out and hit you up for cash. I was so upset that I called our travel agent back home and griped so much that we got another hotel the next at no charge. Told them never, never put any of thier clients in this hotel again By the way if you get up around six am you can look out your window and see the bums going through the trash and sleeping on cardboard. Thanks, but no THANKS.

Room Tip: Do not come to this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Santa Cruz, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

My room had a "Motel 6" feeling to it; outdated and dingy. There was a refrigerator, but no hairdryer, no iron, no coffe pot and the shower dispensed either hot or cold water-no warm, so I had to take a bath. The staff was very friendly and efficient.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

I occasionally travel to LA on business in the downtown area and have returned to the Kawada each time. For my purposes, the location cannot be beat. Shopping is good and you can walk to the fashion district, Chinatown, Toy District etc. As a female traveler, I feel very safe here. There is plenty to do and see without having to deal with parking problems and expenses. After seeing my room, a coworker changed to this hotel.

I have found the rooms I've been in to be clean, comfortable and functional, at a reasonable price - otherwise I would not have returned. There is a 24 hour Vietnamese restaurant next door and a daytime breakfast/lunch restaurant adjoining the hotel. You are 2 blocks (less then a 3 minute walk) to the Grand Market which is open daily until 6 pm - it is filled with a variety of food stands, fruit stands and a store where you can buy a variety of items - groceries, pots - pans and hygene items.

The Hotel staff is excellent, and can communicate in several languages. When I had to set up an after hours meeting and needed privacy, they arranged for me to have a private room with a conference table and internet with no notice. All I can say if you are not happy with your room, let the staff know - I am sure they will fix the problem

Negative items include the TV service, which can cut in and out at different times and the internet can take some "tweaking" to get it to work. When I had problems, hotel fixed my internet problems and did not charge me for the service my entire stay.

Room Tip: I have stayed in several different rooms during different trips, some have a stove top, others a mic...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

It bothers me that people have been so negative about the Kawada Hotel. It is NOT the Hilton chain, or the Sheraton's chain - but, if I wanted that sort of hotel, I would go there. So,
please when deciding on what sort of hotel you want don't rubbish the hotels that give you good service and are in an ideal spot (transport wise). True, the Kawada is looking tired, it is also true that the rooms are small, but they have a laundromat, ice machine, drinks machines, and an excellent "safe room" and the staff are terrific. No, they don't have the wonderful uniforms that the chains have, but, I am not looking at that. What I want from a hotel is a clean bed, a safe room (locks all work) and when I request something, I expect it done. That is what the Kawada has. The most appealing aspect of this hotel is that it is on the transport hub. All kinds of buses run 1 block from the hotel. Taxis, rail (right across the street), and seniors bus transport (for 25 cents American) to anywhere downtown. The "Alleys" is within walking distance, the Jewellery centre 2 blocks, and 2 blocks is the fruit and vegetable market - and what a wonderful display of food! As far as being in a safe area - I am travelling alone and I walk around at night in that area and I feel safe. I have not been mugged or questioned, and I am a senior. (Perhaps they feel sorry for me!). I will always stay at the Kawada and for the price - it is a real bargain. The staff are terrific. The problem that I see for the Kawada is that it has no restaurant (or coffee lounge). But there is a pizza place not far from there and the reception staff will give you a list of businesses that will bring in food (hot) for you.

Room Tip: If you are a fussy sleeper, ask for a room away from traffic noise.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Been to Kawada Hotel? Share your experiences!