“NEVER TO REPEAT” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Kawada Hotel

Save Saved
You added Kawada Hotel to your Saves list
Kawada Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 South Hill Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #211 of 323 Hotels in Los Angeles
Brisbane, Australia
“NEVER TO REPEAT”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights after arriving from a 13 hour flight. Well, what can I say. The area wasn't what you would call terrific. Did not feel safe. The actual hotel had one good point. The lobby was cosy and clean and staff were okay. When we got to our room, we just laughed. It was old fashioned and reminded me of a nursing home room. There was a particular smell of urine through the corridors and hot and stuffy. We knew it was only a couple of stars and was cheap, but definately made us realise you get what you pay for. I'm glad we only had 2 nights which was spent relaxing and getting over the flight, and waiting for our next part of the trip. Would not stay here again but it was an experience and we learnt from our mistake.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Thai first
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

My husband, 10yr old daughter and I stayed here for 9 nights. It was a small room with a double bed and rollaway bed for our daughter. Adequate, clean, dated accomodation, with fridge and over the tub, bath-shower.
We found the location to be ideal for exploring in and around LA. However, the walls are thin and people coming and going at all hours, was a little off-putting. The staff were extremely friendly and obliging with any request we may have had. The small restaurant downstairs provides great meals, however isn't open after 4pm for dinner. There are more fast food and restaurants a block away should you need . I believe that the hotel is opening a Pho City restaurant very soon. There is only one computer in the lobby and I found that there were times that we were waiting for sometime to use it. No WiFi...only wired internet for a fee we were told. If you are requiring cheap, no-frills accomodation for a short stay, and don't have many expectations, this is a more than adequate stay. I wouldn't recommend it for families but great for singles and backpackers looking for basic, clean and central accomodation.

Room Tip: Probably ask for a room at the end of the hall away from the elevator, as walls are paper thin and t...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

I stayed at the Kawada Hotel for 10 days, biggest mistake of my life! From the outside the hotel looks ok for the money, but as you get further in it get worse. Most of the staff are somewhat friendly. Now for the rooms, small and dirty, there is a dirty big A/c along side the bed, the fridge is about a 1960’s model, no tea or coffee making, however they do supply a ICE BUCKET AND 2 PLASTIC CUPS! That’s it. The TV is the size of a laptop screen and the ch drop out all the time. Only wifi in the lobby, no place to get a meal, there is a dodgy little bar around the corner but would not recommend, the café next door closes at 3pm, after 5pm you have to walk 4-7blocks for dinner. The fire alarms go off all night and the hotel porter walks the floors all night banging doors and talking on his phone! The location is great for subway, bus ect but that is the only plus this hotel has!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Quebec City, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

It's surely not the best place you can find if you have the money, but it's cleary an average hotel if you want to stay in L.A. Downtown for only a couple of days.

It's really near the Grand Central Market and you can go around (Hollywood, Santa Monica, Venice Beach) through Metro buses and subway easily.

Sadly when we stay here it was during the E3 and everyone got the "High-speed" Internet connection so it was really slow to upload photos or download video from there during this special week. An alternative (for international traveler who's got a smartphone) is to buy a prepaid SIM card and get a Web daypass for 1,50$ (illimited access and it works better than the Kawada Internet connection).

The kitchenette was ok since it contains only a fridge and a sink.

I have to notice that one day before we leave the room wasn't clean by the maid... but we was able to get new towels from the reception.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Sorry, this place was rubbish. The smoke alarm went off twice in the middle of the night because the bar next door was cooking something. I don't cheap and easy places, but we had a horrible stay.

Room Tip: Call any other hotel.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

In raw terms, the Kawada Hotel is pretty good. It's in a great location (cabs to anywhere in downtown will run you about $8 max), the rooms are clean and comfortable and the cafe next door (The Cherry Pick) is AMAZING. Seriously good breakfasts.

Unfortunately it's also terrible for business travellers. They advertised "fast" internet as well as Wi-Fi, but sadly, it's quite literally the slowest connection I've ever seen. My associate and I lost a lot of money simply due to the huge amount of time it took to upload, download and generally do anything on the internet, and in an amazingly inconsiderate move, the code that you have to PAY for only works on either the Wi-Fi network OR in your room, using only the same browser. Chrome doesn't work in the rooms.

So, yeah. Until you get it sorted, do not stay here for business.

Room Tip: The ice machines are VERY loud. Ask to avoid.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
San Luis Obispo, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

I had a federal jury summons down in L.A. and I thought about staying at this hotel, since it was blocks from the courthouse, so I made an online reservation. Changed my mind the next day and canceled the reservation with over 30 days until the scheduled stay.
They charged me anyway. I called the phone number in my cancellation email and was told that the confirmation number didn't sound like theirs. I asked to speak to a manager who informed my that "somehow the reservation got duplicated and only one was canceled"
right.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to Kawada Hotel? Share your experiences!