“Best option if you're stuck downtown.” 5 of 5 stars

Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   251 S Olive St, Los Angeles, CA 90012 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #4 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Orlando, Florida
“Best option if you're stuck downtown.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I love Omni's. Plain and simple, they get it right. Small hotel chain that honors group rates with their loyalty program. Check-in was fine and the agents were genuinely nice. Plenty of elevators to get to the room. Rooms were well apportioned and very clean. Bathrooms were plenty large with separate shower and bathtub. Housekeeping respected DND when it was up and the floors were quiet for the most part. There were a couple groups related to the Rose Bowl that got a bit rowdy and a wedding party that moved to the rooms, but other than that, an enjoyable six weeks. Room service changes the menu about 15 minutes before listed time so they missed out on me ordering every night but if thats as far as I can go with complaints over six weeks of living there, thats a pretty good track record.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you! We appreciate the feedback you provided. Without constructive criticism, we cannot improve on the service and product we provide to our guests. We look forward to another opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The location is pretty good. I like the idea of courtesy car for the guest to go around the hotel. However, I have mixed feelings for this hotel during my stay in LA. The front desk staffs were helpful and knowledgeable. Well, there is always black sheep that spoil the experience, I would understand that everything cannot be perfect but it is unbearable in the service industry for what had happened. I prefer to use the word "indifferent" rather than "racist" because I believe in the management and they were apologetic. What happened was that we made a booking for the courtesy car to go to the mall but it was taken by a Caucasian lady even though she came later. We told the door man that we came first but he ignored us and let the vehicle drive off. We had made ourselves very clear of our intention to the doorman and we were sure they understood us. I approached the concierge but was told it was none of her business, her tone rude and impatient. We were in a rush as we had an appointment while the service persons all seemed indifferent. We did not mind to wait for the vehicle to come back but we were furious that we did not deserve any respect because of our skin colour. Other than that, the rooms were clean, quiet, well furnished and maintained even though it might feel a little old. Spacious and well designed, I love the charging area just beside the side tables of the bed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
We truly apologize again for the challenges you experienced. We appreciate very much the opportunity you gave to us to resolve this during your stay. We value your patronage as well as our other guests, and we hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

If you are visiting Southern California and have to stay in downtown LA, the Omni is definitely an oasis in a city that caters to the car. It offers tastefully relaxed luxury with laid back California elegance. The staff are friendly and accommodating.

I stayed at the Omni while attending a conference at the hotel. So I didn't really have time to take advantage of any of the nearby museums or concert halls. I ventured out a few times to get some air and check out the surroundings. But as the title of this review suggests, nobody really walks in downtown LA. It bustles during the day with office workers but changes character after 5 p.m. when just about everything nearby shuts down.

The hotel is only 30 minutes from LAX (a $16 shuttle or $46 taxi ride). There is also ample public transit nearby including a METRO light rail station.

Fortunately the hotel is comfortable enough that you don't really have to leave. The rooms are comfortable and spacious. They are uniquely decorated so you don't have that feel that you are in a chain hotel franchise. The bathrooms include both a soaking tub (a bit on the small size) and a separate shower.

My only complaint about the room was the noise level from the hallway. You could hear everything going on in the all including conversations, housekeeping carts, and doors opening and closing. I was also disappointed in the television reception. I was there around the Academy Awards and some stations were difficult to view.

I joined the Omni's Select Guest loyalty program and was treated with free WiFi, daily free breakfast beverage service and nightly turn down service. It's well worth the small effort to enroll.

The Omni offered a unique online room service ordering system that I tried a couple of times. It was nice to be able to leisurely scroll through menu items and order a meal delivered at a specific time. Unfortunately the system didn't seem to work all of the time so a couple of times I resorted to phoning in my order. The food was typical room service fare, but well presented and tasty.

The workout room is top notch and rivals many gyms I've been a member of. It is adjacent to the outdoor pool (small by California standards). It offers modern, well maintained equipment, free headphones and free breakfast bars!

The meeting rooms were comfortable and the audio visual equipment worked well (an important feature to note if you speak at any conferences). There is a small but adequate business center to print out boarding passes at no charge.

I didn't eat at the on site restaurant (Noe) but I attended a reception at the Noe bar and the appetizers were great (especially the steak fajittas). There is a small coffee bar called Morsels on the third floor where you can also pick up any toiletries you may have forgotten or sodas, etc.

All in all, the Omni is a great place to stay in downtown LA.

Room Tip: Join the Omni Loyalty program to pick up free perks for your stay. Opt for rooms on the upper floors...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing about your visit with us! We apologize for the issues you experienced, and will have the appropriate department heads look into both the TV reception and the online room service ordering system. It is wonderful to hear that the rest of your stay was so enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Me and my two kids were staying Omni for couple of days last Christmas time. We really liked the service they provided.Free hotel van to drive you around city. Always provide free snakes and lovely drink in lobby area. Very convenient location. Staffs are friendly. We will come back to stay next time for sure.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing us to spend your Christmas with! We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay. We would love to welcome you back soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I only stayed here for one night and chose this hotel based on how close it was to LA State Historic park as I was seeing a concert there. I must say that for the short time I was there, I thoroughly enjoyed this hotel. I arrived around noon and I had no problem checking in and I was even given a huge room on the 15th floor. The staff was very sincere with there helpfulness and concern that your stay was going smoothly. The rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable and the bathroom was spacious. Special shout out to Alex in the valet who made sure that I got back to the hotel safely after being stuck at Union Station for an hour post concert trying to hail a cab. Great hotel for a good price and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for choosing to stay with us, even though it was for a short visit. We hope you enjoyed the concert, and are happy to know you were able to return to the hotel safely. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Omni is the number one rated hotel downtown and one of the top hotels in LA and I can see why. One of the good signs of a hotel is usually that you have nothing to say about it because everything is seamless which was the case with my recent 8 night stay. I was there for a conference which I was involved in organizing so I can attest to the hotel's competence as a function venue as well.

Free wifi (albeit at a moderate download rate) is appreciated and you can sign up to received free ironing and first night turn down service. Of particular note is that fact that although we arrived early at 9.00am after a long international flight we were able to check in immediately. This was very much appreciated!

The location is more suitable for business visitors than tourists but the concierge was very helpful at providing guidance for both options and I'm sure tourists would be happy with the hotel as well particularly given LA is not really a walk about city anyway.

The only mildly annoying things was the only full length mirror was inside the closet near the door which was a little awkward. The bath is also a little average but all in all and very convenient stay.

Younger people may also want to check out The Edison bar which is a short cab ride away.

Room Tip: Request an early check in if needed as they can probably accomodate. Lower rooms also have access to...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate you selecting the Omni as your home away from home. Our staff will be delighted to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations. We will take your constructive feedback into consideration, and look into the best options, with our guestroom layout, to rectify the concern. Thank you again for your kind words!
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our trip to Los Angeles was part of a retirement trip. We visited several cities on a road trip. The Omni is always a wonderful place to stay. It isn't far from many of the tourist attractions, including everything you could find on Hollywood Boulevard. Down the hill from the hotel was a great little open air market with all kinds of food to eat onsite and buy to take. There is a charge for parking but most downtown hotels have a parking charge anymore. The rooms were very nice and the amenities were as well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your retirement trip! We appreciate having the opportunity to make your trip to Los Angeles an unforgettable one. If your travels ever bring you through LA, we hope you will remember that the door is always open for you here.

Been to Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza? Share your experiences!