“Nice Hotel, Interesting Neighborhood” 4 of 5 stars

Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   251 S Olive St, Los Angeles, CA 90012 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #3 of 318 hotels in Los Angeles
San Mateo
“Nice Hotel, Interesting Neighborhood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed three nights at the Omni in downtown Los Angeles in February 2013. I liked the Omni. It compares closely with the JW Marriott at LA Live, but is less expensive. Also I find downtown LA a more interesting area than around Staples Center. I would rate the hotel at 4 stars.

I had a deluxe king club which is larger than a deluxe king and has access to the 17th floor club lounge. The lounge provides a better than average breakfast than most such hotel facilities, including scrambled eggs and bacon. On Sunday waffles were added to the breakfast menu. The lounge also has free bottled drinks and evening cocktails and light snacks. It was not crowded during my stay.

The Omni provides free internet if you join its Select Guest program. I joined after making my reservation. My internet connection was very good--fast and reliable.

My room was relatively spacious with a comfortable chair and ottoman and a desk. I needed to set the thermostat relatively high to get enough warmth, but once set that worked fairly well. The air discharge is onto the head of the bed and the reading chair. It would be better if it discharged into an area of the room so air coming out is coming right on you or had a deflector to accomplish this. Lighting was ok overall, but was not bright enough for comfortable reading by my standards. I liked having dimmers on lamps, but I wish I could have turned them up brighter. My room was at the end of a corridor and was quiet. The bed was above average in comfort. The robes provided are thin. TV quality was good. Channel selection was fair, but no C-Span.

The bath has the shower over the tub. I had only lukewarm water the first morning, but after reporting the problem I had ample hot water. The design of the sink counter in the bath is such that its base conflicts with where your feet should be when standing in front of the sink.

The hotel should have more elevators. At times there were relatively long waits for the elevators closest to the lobby even when there didn't seem to be any special heavy elevator usage. Most of the time this was not a problem.

I ate one lunch in the cafe and used room service twice. The food quality was good and the prices reasonable. The high end restaurant was fully booked on Saturday night.

Valet parking is $40 Sunday through Thursday and $20 on Friday and Saturday.

The Omni was tight with free newspapers. I got my requested three papers on Friday. Had to follow up to get even one on Saturday. I got none on Sunday. Not a big deal, but irritating.

The hotel is a block from the Disney Concert Hall, next to MOCA, a couple of blocks from the Chandler opera house and Taper and Ahmanson theaters. It's about a block to Angel's Flight. There are quite a few cafes in the neighborhood, most connected with some cultural facility.

All in all I was pleased with the Omni and found its virtues outweigh its shortcomings. I probably will return on future LA visits. I found it good value for my cost except for one night of valet parking at the high rate.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
We appreciate your thorough feedback on your recent stay with us. We can only improve when we hear from our guests. Your comments will be shared with our managing staff in order to look for ways we can continue to grow our service. We are happy to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations overall, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

1,714 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights recently and couldn't be happier with our choice of hotel. We decided to pay a little extra for the club level and it was definitely a good value. We had a complimentary pot of coffee delivered to our room every morning, followed by breakfast in the club room on the 18th floor. In the evenings we had wine, beer or a mixed drink with a variety of snacks in a relaxing atmosphere. We stayed here for a business trip along with my husband's mom and dad who came along on our trip. We were all very comfortable and happy with this hotel, it provided great service and clean rooms.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate your feedback, and are happy to know that we are exceeding our guests' expectations. We look forward to your next visit.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

This is a very nice property - rooms are especially nice. Great customer service from everyone I encountered. Used the restaurant for breakfast - quality food and excellent service. Located in a nice neighborhood with the modern art museum right next door.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for sharing about your experience with us! Our restaurant and kitchen staff will be thrilled to hear your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Overpriced 3 star hotel.We have paid 1034 dollars for 2 nights.Badly overpriced.I have booked in advance and asked for the highest floor.I was given 8 out of 18 floors.Room is small.Double bed is rather single bed,one robe,no flipflops,no showers in health club.Lousy shower in rooms-water is merely oozing.On way from the LAX airport to hotel you drive through slums area.People living in sheds and trailers,cage on each window,rubbish all over the streets,thugs.Do not stop there,not even for gas station,just drive through.Scary stuff.Looks really horrible. Good sides are : location,nice food at buffet lunch

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate your feedback, and want to sincerely apologize for not being able to accept your room requests. We do make every effort to accommodate the requests of our guests if it is possible, but sometimes we are not able to due to the occupancy of the hotel or the requirements of the group that is coming in.
We also understand that the environment traveling to the hotel may not be the best, but please rest assured that we take the care of our hotel guests very seriously. There are measures in place to ensure the safety of our guests while on our property. If there is ever any concerns while you are staying with us, our staff is more than equipped to assist you. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stay here regularly when in L.A. because it is consistently awesome. They always have a lovely stand with fruit-infused water and sometimes cookies in the lobby when you arrive. The valets are always helpful with directions, etc. The rooms are always clean, and the beds are super comfortable. The gym is very nice, and I like their salt water lap pool. When you bring kids, they provide an activity package with toys and send up cookies and milk to the room. For an additional charge, you can request access to the Omni Club on the top floor for snacks, beverages, and breakfast. The hotel bar can be pretty fun sometimes and has a good wine selection, snacks, nice fireplace. All the staff are extremely friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your stay with us! Our staff enjoys knowing that they were able to make your stay so memorable, and will be delighted to hear they have found a loyal guest in you. We look forward to your return visit soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Service just doesn't get better than this. And just when I thought no OMNI could do it the better than the impeccable service at this hotel chain, this OMNI Los Angeles hotel proved me wrong. Spent a girls only weekend here with my girlfriends from work/school and came back for New Years.

1) Accommodations: Outstanding, Outstanding. Upgraded to an awesome suite as a black level guest with two rooms, two beds, two bathrooms, for a great bargain.

2) Service: Top notch as usual for OMNI but even better! Sweet welcome. yummy cider in the lobby. always welcoming doormen. free bottle of wine and goodies to welcome me as a black level guest. free morning beverage (everyone gets this!). free internet (everyone gets this!). well it just doesn't get any better.

Extra perks: free courtesy car service within a 3 mile radius for everyone. Saved us a ton of money in cab rides around downtown. Are you serious? free cab service till midnight?! Beats all hotel brands in the area! And every driver was just so kind and pleasant! What a joy it was to meet employees who just loved their job! Saved us lots of money on cab rides.

Room service: extra points for DELICIOUS FRIES delivered at 2am that hit the spot after a night of partying. Oh, and they forgot to put them on our bill. I brought it to their attention. No problem they said, Fries on Us! lol. Best fries ever!

Lovely lobby with beautiful Christmas tree!

I could go on an on. Not a single flaw where I could deduct any point.

My most memorable stay at an OMNI which always does it right anyway!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for the opportunity to share this special girls' weekend with you and your friends! Our staff will be delighted to hear that they could be a part of making your stay so memorable. We look forward to your future visit.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here in the past on business only traveling with two or three others. The Omni has always been very good to us itch clean rooms with very comfortable beds and amenities. Very close to the Walt Disney Music Hall and other entertainment choices. When traveling with ladies from he office my first concern is their safety and the Omni gives me and them a sense of being safe. Other places in Los Angeles do not have a safety presence at all. The lounge at the Omni is inviting and warm. Highly recommend this place for business travelers and families.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback! Our guests are our top priority in all aspects of their stay, and it is good to hear that our efforts have been successful. We always welcome any feedback that will help us be able to exceed your expectations.

Been to Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza? Share your experiences!