“Great value in LA - but beware location” 4 of 5 stars

Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   251 S Olive St, Los Angeles, CA 90012 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #5 of 322 hotels in Los Angeles
london, england
“Great value in LA - but beware location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We got a great deal from the Omni website for this comfortable, up-market hotel in LA. The rooms were very good - large and comfortable with air con that was easy to control. The restaurant has a great breakfast buffet - with fresh fruit, eggs any way, and fantastic "artisan" breads.
So why not a rating of 5? - Well, the pool is very small, and parking is $40/night for weeknights. The location is in the financial district, so you are limited in nearby restaurants. On the plus side, there is easy freeway access, and the nearby Walt Disney concert hall is fascinating. I recommend a tour.

Room Tip: Some rooms are close to the road, on which buses run 24/7.

1,906 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We booked two rooms for our stay at the Omni over the Christmas holidays. check in / check out was a breeze. we arrived at the hotel at 1030 am and both rooms were ready....it was really nice not to have to wait until the official 1pm check in time. I had signed up for the omni loyalty program on line (which is free) and it includes free wi-fi and free beverage service in the mornings. rooms were large and very comfortable. easy walking distance to most locations....staples centre is about a 15/20 minute walk. the hotel is in a business district and the area was fairly deserted over christmas. there is a complimentary car service offered within a 3 mile radius but when we called the front desk to ask for the car to staples centre, we were told they don't drive to staples because it's too busy. so we took a cab. i complained at checkout and they waived one of our parking charges to reimburse us for the cab fare and said that we had been given incorrect information. overall the service was great and we enjoyed our stay at the hotel. would stay again. my only complaint would be the ludicrous $40 valet parking fee....this is the most i've ever had to pay for guest parking.

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Hotel looked nice when we pulled up for the first time, but I was quickly irritated upon pulling up into valet. I was behind a couple other cars who were checking in as well, but the valet looked at us then completely ignored us and walked back to the hotel; very disappointing! I decided to pull up right in front of them and only then did they make an effort to "greet" us. For $40 dollars a night to park, I expected A LOT more. The front desk was nice enough, but after we got to the room I went online to the hotel's website and realized that they didn't tell us about the kids' package. We did indicate that our kids were coming so they should have told us about it, but they didn't. I had to call the front desk to inquire about it before they sent up the amenities, which included complimentary activity bags and snacks for the kids. Then, as if this wasn't already annoying enough, when the cookies and milk were finally delivered, I was handed the tray at the door and had to bring it in myself! What kind of service is this?! Trust me, I am not one to shy from hard work, but when you're on vacation (and at a supposedly nice hotel like this) it is important to create a great experience for the guest....that's what the whole hospitality industry is all about. Pretty much a fail in terms of service.

On the plus side, the hotel's appearance is very nice, our room was bigger than expected and the housekeeping staff is great! We travel quite a bit and have been to many different hotels...overall, a below average experience and we will likely not be returning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Please accept our sincerest apologies for the lapse in services experienced. We take great pride in the service we provide to all our guests, and we have obviously failed you during your stay. Your concerns have been addressed with all the appropriate department heads, and we are hoping that you will provide us with another opportunity to show you true Omni service.
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My 3 week stay at the Omni Hotel was excellent. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful, and willing to take the time to help plan your 'route'/method of travel to see different sights in LA. The hotel also has a complimentary car service that is free to travel within 3 miles of the hotel. The drivers and bell boys were all very friendly and welcoming.
The rooms are very clean and have sufficient space, making you feel at home in the room.
I made great use of the gym on Level 4, which had plenty of equipment, towels, water and healthy snack bars provided.
The location of the hotel is pretty good - right in the centre of downtown LA. It was 3 blocks to walk down towards 7th St/Grand Avenue, where there are many restaurants and take-out food offerings along 7th street. Even though it gets quiet at night time, it was safe enough to walk on your own, and there are always other people walking around as well, as well as film crews which often film things in Downtown LA.
Overall, I had an excellent experience at the Omni and I would recommend it to anyone who is staying in LA. Though, I would warn them that it is quite expensive, but definitely worth the price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Burbank, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Being just across the street makes Omni an amazing location if you're in town to see a concert at Disney Hall or Dorothy Chandler, or a show at the Music Center.

As a first-time guest, I found the online reservation system was clean and easy to navigate, and I'm really happy I clicked to upgrade to a "Club Level" room from my "Deluxe Accommodations." That included access to the 17th floor lounge with cocktails and a mini-buffet that easily counted as dinner (I had chicken and mashed potatoes, had just missed the tuna on golden beet slices, and the martini was first-rate). In the morning, the continental breakfast was scrambled eggs, bacon, salmon, many kinds of bread and muffins, and a complete array of fruit. When they cleared breakfast, they brought out chips, cookies, and sodas. I'm familiar with the Downtown area, but the Club server was very helpful to some folks who were asking about where to go and what to see during their stay.

They have a "Select Guest" program, free to sign up, that allows you to customize your preferences at Omni. I requested a room on an upper floor with a view of Disney Hall, and to my delight that's exactly what I got. Too, they had an extra blanket as I asked, and there was a hand-written card in my room welcoming me.

Do also take advantage of the on-line check-in system - It lets you pick the hour of your arrival and confirm your credit card. When I arrived my room key was ready on a board off to the side of the check-in desk so I didn't have to wait in line.

So, the room was beautiful and classy, there was both a shower and a tub, and the bath products were yummy. I appreciated the small operable window to have some fresh air. On Saturday nite in the Noe Bar they had the fireplace going, and fire pits outside, with a live piano music. Very nice.

Next door is California Plaza, which hosts free concerts during the summer. When attending those concerts in the past I wondered how the sound was in the hotel rooms, so you might want to inquire about that.

Overall, it feels like a luxurious space. And it was pretty great to leave my concert at Disney Hall and walk across the street instead of having to fight traffic.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Club Level!! For a few dollars extra you get access to a breakfast and dinner spread...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Port Harcourt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I was on a tour of some cities in U.S with my family and LA was a city of choice for us to visit. Omni hotel was our hotel of choice. The staff were friendly right from the entrance everyone seem to want to be of use to you. They had porters at the entrance to assist you. Check in was brief and quick and professional. Considering that it was my first visit to the city, the staff were amiable to be of assistance to us especially where to go and what to do. Hotel is very neat and well kept. It has modern and classy looks and there are cabs readily available to move you anywhere. It's a great value for your money.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

The service at the OMNI is the best I've experiences so far! Every member of the staff was polite and helpful! We really appreciated the bottle of champagne we were gifted as it was our honeymoon. Food was amazing at in-house restaurant Noe! Room Service food was also fantastic! We'd definately use OMNI again! Car service was fantastic! Great staff!!!!

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza? Share your experiences!