“Hotel Staff Makes All The Difference!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   711 South Hope Street, Los Angeles, CA 90017 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #127 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
“Hotel Staff Makes All The Difference!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

My family and I recently stayed at the Sheraton Downtown Los Angeles for our vacation. The entire hotel staff from Check in, Concierge, Sheraton Club, Housekeeping, etc., were very knowledgeable, polite, and helpful which made our trip very comfortable and enjoyable! Additionally, thanks to a friendly encounter/conversation with Minnie on the elevator, we inquired about, and were granted a complimentary upgrade that gave us access to the Starwood Preferred Guest Club. Minnie was great; catering to our every need each time we visited the club! She made sure we had good food, drinks, and most of all great conversations! She really made us feel like we were old friends! Furthermore, while Minnie was there for us in the afternoons/evenings, Juan insured that breakfast was equally nice. My husband and son thoroughly enjoyed their sports conversations! Lastly, while the hotel is currently under going a major improvement renovation, we didn't hear any construction noise during our entire 5 night stay! I can't wait until our next visit where I hope to enjoy the results of what appears to be amazing renovations!

Room Tip: Higher floors, better view of the mountains!
Green Features: I think giving the guest the option of having bed linen changed daily, every other day, etc., is a good environmentally friendly practice that help s to preserve our natural resources.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Sheraton_LA_Downtown, General Manager at Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Thank you for the great review as well as the title you selected. I could not agree more and during a time of such disruption, it could not matter more. Service is everything and can make a not so great experience into a great one when people take the time to care and assist. I am glad that you experienced what we typically strive to provide and hope to welcome you back again soon. Stay well. Jonathan Litvack, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Upon checking in as a frequent traveller from a competing hotel, Gustavo gave my co-workers and I something we haven't received in downtown LA: great service and a willingness to make guests feel appreciated and welcome. I stay in downtown LA every week, and Gustavo is by far the greatest associate I have encountered. He is a main reason why I have booked my next 6 weeks of travel with the Sheraton. See him when you check in. He will make you believe in downtown LA.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write and provide Gustavo with a shout out. He is certainly well recognized by fellow TripAdvisor fans and your comments are consistent with what others have said. That said, he and his fellow associates are making every effort to provide a great experience, so thank you for noting. Stay well. Jonathan Litvack, General Manager
Santa Barbara, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

My wife and I stayed in the downtown Los Angeles Sheraton last weekend. It is set up so that you pull your car up into the valet area and enter the hotel through a hallway that leads to the elevator. Then go up to the 2nd floor to reception to check in. I've seen this setup enough times so I was familiar with how this works. However, most hotels with this setup have security or require key cards to access the hotel elevators. There in was the problem that put my wife and me in a life threatening situation. We had been out at party downtown and walked back to the hotel around midnight. As we approached the entrance from the valet, I noticed a guy pop into the hallway 10 seconds before we got to it. Once my wife and I reached the elevators I could clearly see this was a very dangerous looking guy. I did not think he was a hotel guest but you never know. He hit the elevator button and got in elevator first. My wife and I entered and stood behind him. I hit our floor number as we got on. As we began to ascend, I noticed he had not picked a floor. The only floor lit up was ours. Remember, he got on first. Why didn't hit a floor number? I knew immediately we were in trouble. Sure enough, we got to our floor and he walked off the elevator. As soon as he did, I quickly hit another floor....any floor....I just needed the doors to close fast! He walked straight out of the elevator, looked both directions and then realized we weren't getting off. At that point, our eyes locked and we both knew what was going on. He started to approach the elevator again but not in time. The doors had just closed and we got away. Terrifying. My wife was shaking. Who knows what would have happened. We made it down to the 2nd floor and reported the situation to security. They looked for him but he had gotten out of the hotel. I'm just thankful we didn't bump into him again as we made our way down to reception. I think it is outrageous that anyone can access any floor of the hotel from the street without having to a)show your key card to a security guard b) having to use your key card to call the elevator or c) have to go by reception to access the main elevator banks. We will never be staying at that hotel again and please be alert if you plan to stay there in the future.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Sheraton_LA_Downtown, General Manager at Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to discuss your concern earlier today. As was shared, we do have our guest's safety at top of mind and measures were and are being taken to keep those visiting, safe and secure. In the end, I am glad that our conversation left you feeling better about our efforts and hope to welcome you back again soon. Travel safe. Jonathan Litvack, General Manager
Vienna, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Not a bad hotel and I would have given it a better rating except for the construction in progress. 1st floor is cramped and the elevator kept going to the basement for some reason. The rooms could stand for a bit of renovation but large, spacious and clean. I would recommend this hotel and hopefully the construction will be over on my next visit.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
I am sorry that the construction is creating a distraction at times. We are making every effort to mitigate, but it is not without some level of inconvenience. We are moving quickly through the project and look forward to having our newly transformed guestrooms in just a few short months. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and understanding. Jonathan Litvack, General Manager
Bakersfield
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Book this hotel because I've stayed at other Sheraton Hotels and the qualaty is usually a lot better. This hotel is under major renovations. Witch they dont tell you. The rooms are very outdated. The AC/Heating controls are from the 50's.. What's that about..lol ? The room dont cool enough even though the outside weather was not hot.. Over all the hotel is just way out dated and over priced for return you get.. The valet parking is $50 not cool and they charge you $12.99 for wi-fi.. Come on its the U.S who charges for that anymore. Spacially for a room at $329 a night.. If you ecpext a lot for your money then dont stay here.. Oh and the rooms are noisy. Yo hear running water all night long.

The only 2 positive things I can say is that is it located with in walking distance to many atractions, bars and restaurants and the beds where very comfortable. Maybe when they finish the renovation it may be better..

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
I am sorry that we missed the mark on your recent stay and hope that you might return as the new guestrooms become available over the next few months. Our service and location combined with our newly transformed hotel will make us the premier hotel in downtown. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and understanding and apologize for the inconvenience. Remain well, Jonathan Litvack.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

I stayed here from the last week of July to August 6th, 2014. My stay was OK. If I could I would give it a 2.75 rating. While some of the issues are due to the construction/renovation and will improve after it is concluded, there are other issues not related to tot he renovation. It would be great to see this place after the renovation is completed. Please see my pros and cons below.
Pros:

1) based on other reviews I was afraid my room was going to be awful due to the construction. However, that was not the case. My room was a very good size, and while it was not updated 2014 style, it was not dated and old. It was modern/contemporary. Besides one or two stains on the walls, and minor nicks on the desk and other furniture, it was good.

2) The bed was wonderful. i loved the soft bed and wonderful pillows. It was great to come back from work and crawl into bed for a nap.

3) The food i ordered was very good. The prices were ok. They are average hotel room service prices. I also loved the fact that the kitchen had late hours.

4) The location of the hotel is great. It downtown very close to many stores, restaurants and attractions.
5) The gym room is nice. It is small, but I think that is due to the renovations which as resulted in the gym being relocated. Despite this, the equipment appears to be fairly new and have all the cardio machines have tv and other media options. There are also free weights.

Cons:

1) After a over 7 hours of traveling, I arrived at the hotel and was ready to check-in and take a break. The lobby, which has been moved to the second floor was not bad in terms of how it was physically set up. However, when approaching the service desk, I didn't get a warm welcoming feeling.The greeting seemed forced and was not genuine.

2) That lack of warmth continued when I tried to confirm that the I was being placed in was a double bed, not a single bed. The desk clerk, said no I was going to be placed in a king room. I informed him that I had booked a double bed room. In a very rude tone, he told me that was simply a request and they place people in rooms that are available. I was going to express my concern, but continuing in his flat and unwelcoming tone, he said he would check to see if there was a double room free,even there they were fully booked. In the end he placed me in a double bed room, and I was thankful, but I was still very taken back by the initial tone and the manner in which the conversation occurred.

3) The internet cost 12.95, which to me seems rather high, especially in light of the fact that the wi-fi is very poor quality. After several days of having issues with the 4-G card signal that is on my work lap top, I finally decided to pay for the hotel wi-fi. The signal and connection was poor on both days I purchased. I think in general the hotel or any other source of wi-fi connection is poor in the hotel. I feel it was a waste of almost 40 dollars for a connection that was very slow and would not remain consistently connected. It was very frustration and caused a number of issues while I was working. I should have asked for a refund, but I didn't want the strange lack of friendless in from the service desk to increase.

4) The staff that stand in long with the driveway, in front of the hotel, were not very welcoming. I didn't get the very warm and friendly feeling you get when you check into most high quality hotels. This feeling continued throughout my stay. I stayed about 8 nights at the hotel, and each day in the morning when leaving for work or after returning from work, no one smiled, waved, or recognized my presence. You would think that after at least day 2 or 3 thing would change, but that was not the case.

5) The hotel elevators are very fast, when they are available. However, during my stay it appeared that the number of elevators being used was limited, which resulted in long waits for elevators. I assume this is due to the construction and it will get better.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your candid feedback with fellow TripAdvisor fans. I am sorry that we missed the mark and can assure you that we are focused on making your experience better in the future. The transformation is under way and before long, newly transformed guestrooms will return. In the meantime, we appreciate your understanding and patience and hope to welcome you back soon. Travel safe, Jonathan Litvack, General Manager
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Family stayed there for 2nights. Hotel was clean and well set up. Even though hotel is under reservation the staff is very friendly and helpful. It's is worthwhile to upgrade your package to VIP. Comes with a great breakfast and snacks and sanwdwiches from 5pm to 8 pm. Plus wifi is included in the package. If you do not get this then you have to pay for wifi and bf Saved us on a lot of money. Valet parking is expensive 37 dollars a day but there is parking near by for about 10 dollars. Great hotel

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you, thank you! We certainly agree and despite the current renovation, are making every effort to maintain a great guest experience. We understand that the renovation can create a level of inconvenience and apologize for that, but continue to look for ways to exceed expectations through service. This combined with our centralized location makes us a great choice when visiting downtown. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Jonathan Litvack, General Manager

Been to Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!