“Time for an update ....” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   711 South Hope Street, Los Angeles, CA 90017 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #117 of 323 hotels in Los Angeles
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“Time for an update ....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I recently spent a 3-night stay at this hotel. As a Starwood Preferred Guest member, I had tried to book at the Bonaventure, but it was booked. From the exterior, this hotel looks fine, and the porter and guest services staff were great. However, this hotel is feeling its age. There was no ventilation in the bathroom, the AC (set at its coolest) could not adequately cool the room, and some of the wallpaper was peeling in the bathroom, right next to the toilet. In addition, there was mold (really??) in the shower corners and caulking. On the flip side, I'd like to give a huge compliment to Harley (a maintenance engineer) who not only arrived at my room promptly when requested to check the air conditioning but offered a fan (which I accepted) to make me more comfortable. A+ to him! The location of the hotel is quite convenient for exploring the downtown area, and there are plenty of eateries, drugstores, etc. nearby in case you want to grab a bite. However, overall, the stay was just 'OK' at best....management should seriously consider some clearly needed maintenance and updating.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
TheWestinLaPaloma, General Manager at Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughts for where we might improve as well as noting our favorable location and engaged staff. We are currently planning a $25 million dollar transformation throughout the hotel. We recognize that this is the most significant opportunity for which our new ownership is focused and committed towards completing. From guestrooms to public areas and meeting space; nothing will be left behind. We are excited for what the future holds and greatly appreciate your loyalty in the interim. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon....Jonathan Litvack, General Manager

816 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Port of Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I always thought that the Sheraton was a quality brand hotel so I was looking forward to a lovely 6-night stay at the Los Angeles Downtown Sheraton - my first time in LA & my first time at a Sheraton!
From the first night I wanted to check out, however as part of a delegation I was stuck! Firstly the check in process is way too long! Having traveled across the Atlantic and then all of the US, to then wait near 20 minutes before receiving your room key is unacceptable. I couldn't fathom what would take so long.
Secondly the quality of the room! The carpet looks dirty, the room was dusty and with no ventilation, giving the room a grimy geel. (Particularly the bathroom). In fact, I am certain that I picked up a flu along with my other two colleagues (coincidence?). The bathrooms are poor - the shower stall is so small that you can only face 2 directions when taking a show - front and back!
On my first night I ordered room service - I knew I would be dining out of the hotel thereafter. If the room is decent you can then overlook the lack of bathroom amenities and the poor TV system. I can go on and on, but it's safe to say, if you have a choice, stay somewhere else!! The only saving grace at the hotel is the friendliness of some of the staff.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
I sincerely apologize for your recent experience as it is not typical that we would miss the mark on a number of levels. I will most certainly review with the team to ensure that we do not appear complacent or indifferent in our service efforts. We typically do better than described and so again, you have my apology. On similar note, we will be embarking upon a $25 million dollar transformation that will provide a number of necessary changes. We are excited for what the transformation and future will hold for the hotel and our guest's experience. In the meantime, we hope you will remain loyal watch and join us on our rejuvenation journey. Stay connected. Jonathan Litvack, General Manager
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I frequent Sheraton properties and we stayed here for one night while in town for a Dodger game. We had just checked out that morning from the Sheraton in Santa Monica and in comparison this one was very disappointing - both in the service from the staff AND in the room amenities and condition

The Positives:
- The rooms are clean and spacious
- Comfortable bed and pillows
- Complimentary coffee maker w/Starbucks coffee
- My early 2pm check in was granted

The Negatives:
- No vent in the bathroom (the other Sheraton did)
-Carpet had what looked like burn spots and just old and worn.
-Outlets were 'blocked' so frustrating as a guest that needs an outlet next to bed for their apnea machine and for a fan (the other Sheraton had 2 convenient outlets next to EACH side of the bed)
- No HOT water at all during our stay. The water is only warm-to-cool. When I mentioned it at checkout, the clerk's reply was "Oh I have not heard that from any other guests, so it must be just your room" and then continued to process my checkout. Very lacking in her empathy skills in her 'customer service' position. I was not looking for any 'comp me then' response, but some empathy would have been nice. And as one of my last hotel contacts - she just added to my already disappointing experience at this hotel.

Note: The valet cost is $32 with in/out privileges and the self-park is $28. I would recommend spending the extra $4 for valet for the convenience & wonderful valet service!

Room Tip: If you can get a room on a high floor, the city view at night is nice.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for providing your feedback and for noting our strengths as well as some areas of opportunities. We remain committed towards providing exceptional service while we are about to embark upon a $25 million dollar transformation. In the meantime, I am committed towards taking your comments forward and ensure that all are considered as we look for ways to improve. In the meantime, I am sorry that we missed the mark in some key areas and hope you will remain loyal as we undergo a significant transformation. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Stay connected....Jonathan Litvack, General Manager
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night for a business trip, as it was close to the convention center and not overpriced. The lobby and entrance was nice. There is a bar and a store inside, and I believe a bigger restaurant.

The rooms were OK. They were spacious, but a little outdated and dreary. It seems like many of the older Sheratons have this same feel.

I booked my room online at the no-refund rate. I probably wouldn't stay here again for a vacation, but I thought the price and accommodations were fair for the location and for a business trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for noting all the positives when traveling on business, but trust that we want you to feel the same when visiting for pleasure. To that end, we are about to embark on a $25 million dollar transformation that will make this a "Flagship" Sheraton and set us apart from the competition. We will rejuvenate our guestrooms, public areas, meeting space as well as Macy's mall. We believe that this transformation combined with the exceptional service being provided will attract guests to visit for any reason and/or ocassion. In the meantime, we look forward to keeping all of our TripAdvisor fans apprised of the transformation and progress. Travel safe and stay connected. Jonathan Litvack, General Manager
norcal U.S.A
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

First off, I want to state that my stay was for a business trip and the company paid for the room so I have no say in what type of room I had.

The location was perfect for me as the hotel is situated right next to the mall and post office. I had to ship several packages for my wife and it's great that I was able to drop by early in the morning before heading to the convention. Also, as room service is quite expensive despite that we get paid for food expenses, I'm glad that I can just walk basically a block or so away for IHOP, Chipotle, Bottega Louie or just go down next to the hotel at the mall's food center. Staff (front desk and bar) was very helpful when I asked for recommendations about salsa music and also transportation heading to LAX.

The room I had was a traditional guest room with all the necessary furnishings like the big sofa chair and LCD tv. Bed was probably a bit too soft as I wasn't able to sleep straight through the night. The TV remote has this annoying lag when manually inputting the channel number. The shower was probably the worst thing I can comment about the room as it was quite small. Other than that, Coffee is quite expensive ($2.75 for a Grande drip) on their shop downstairs as their drinks on their bar.

Overall, it was a good stay at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you! I could not agree more with your comments. While we will undergo a $25 million dollar transformation; it will have little impact on the location or the staffs friendliness. To read confirmation that we have those two attributes as a strength supports the commitment we have going forward towards the rejuvenation. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon and hope you will stay connected as the transformation begins. Remain well....Jonathan Litvack, General Manger
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The hotel from the outside, and from the lobby looks great...the rooms are not worth the money you pay for. Firstly, the air conditioning in the room made so much noise at night, it made for a restless night. Secondly, the bathroom has no vent to get rid of the mist from the shower, thirdly, the carpet in the room is very dirty..and I can go on and on. The room's ventilation system NEEDS TO BE LOOKED AT AND THE ELECTRICAL SOCKETS ARE HANGING ON BY A LOOSE SCREWS. My business partners and their kids got sick due to poor ventilation, as well as myself. This is a hotel that NEEDS SOME TLC. The dust in the vents are visible and thick and need a good cleaning!!
If a management is reading this, the Sheraton stands by its name alone, and your hotel NEEDS a makeover a paint job, and proper ventilation. I will not recommend any of my business partners or friends to stay there. The duvet in the room had stains on it. Room service, was poor, as we preordered our breakfast the night before, and they still got our order wrong.
The hospitality staff were friendly, which made up for the poorly rated hotel.

Please stay somewhere else, until they get this hotel up to standard, considering the nightly rate they charge!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
I am sorry for your most recent experience and would offer that you contact me directly so we might discuss further. In the meantime, I offer no excuse and assure you that our $25 million dollar rejuvenation will address all the areas that you touched upon. The staff remains focused on providing a great guest experiences, but there is no escaping the need for a complete transformation. Please trust that you and all of our fans that have referenced similar have our full attention and commitment towards upgrading as we go forward. In addition, please know that we appreciate everyone's loyalty and support as we make this transformation and encourage everyone to remain connected throughout. We will look for ways to post updates of the transformation as the process begins. I apologize for the past experience, but promise that the future for The Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown is very bright. Stay connected....Jonathan Litvack, General Manager
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This hotel is as standard as Sheraton's come. Nice, average sized room. Has all the amenities that one requires. Lobby has a coffee/gift shop which was very helpful, especially in the morning to grab a coffee and a muffin when in a rush to go out for the day and explore. This hotel's accommodation was arranged for us and never having being to Los Angeles before we were not sure of the location and neighbourhood was like. Being located in downtown which is a business district, the neighbourhood does not offer a lot to do tourist wise. That is not to say that it is completely isolated with tourist attractions such as Hollywood can be accessed by cars and public transport. This was a decent hotel that was not impossibly far from attractions but be prepared to travel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write and note our centralized location. We are about to embark upon a $25 million dollar transformation that will address a number of issues. In the meantime, we trust our location and friendly staff will provide a great experience while visiting. That said, please watch for more information as our rejuvention process will begin before long and touch upon every aspect of our guest's experience. Stay connected....Jonathan Litvack, General Manager
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!