“Met our needs” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel

You added Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   711 South Hope Street, Los Angeles, CA 90017 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #129 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Melbourne, Australia
“Met our needs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We arrived early morning after a 15 hour flight & were very pleased that there was a room available. The staff were very friendly & helpful. Our room was comfortable & clean which is all you need when staying two nights. The top floor gym had great views & well equipped. We walked to the staples centre & travelled on the train with ease. The bar downstairs is handy for pre-dinner drinks & to watch sport on the numerous tv screens. Breakfast in the restaurant was very nice & the staff friendly. Only complaint would be no fridge in rooms & the wifi I paid for only worked in the hallway.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I am here for a convention and the front desk agent was very professional filled with knowledges. The location is very convenient and I can even walk to the Convention Center if I wanted and did! Shopping is right next door, fitness center is very accessible and the housekeeping staff is right on and especially in knowing the little clues to impress. Great Job! I recommend to all!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are very large with big windows to check out the city.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Sheraton_LA_Downtown, General Manager at Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back again!
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

The location is excellent, just across the street to find Metro subway including it shares building with Macy's (but I didn't buy anything there, it's kinda small) plus you can find Wall Greens at the corner.

Everything is standard for "Sheraton" except I found small cockroach climbing my leg in one night while I was standing next to my bed,,, a bit horrible experience...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is a nice and convenient hotel. It is a business hotel and you are working near downtown. The train is close and you can walk around the area. The Starwood room is ok and is a good place to visit during your stay. If you wqnt to see the tourist attraction of LA, I wouold stay at a different Starwood property.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback!
Buffalo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed here recently for a last minute trip to L.A., I stayed for 2 nights. I was a little worried from some of the reviews I read, but it wasn't bad at all, I don't know why it got some of the other reviews it did. Anyways, my stay was fine. The staff I encountered were all very friendly, the location is great for downtown. I attended a concert at the Staples Center and it's only one stop on the metro right next door to get there, and at the arena, the station is right directly across the street, it was so easy and wasn't as packed with people afterwards as I thought it would be. There's some restaurants and a Rite Aid (open late, which was good) and a Walgreen's right across the street. The hotel is also connected to the Macy's Plaza mall, which I'm sure has seen better days. I'd go in the mall just to get the chili cheese fries at Carl's Jr, which I did, twice! The metro is also convenient for going to Hollywood, Universal Studios, or even down to Long Beach! The $5 day pass is really good, as it will take you all over!

My room was king bed room 316, it was good size, clean. The biggest downside to it was the air conditioning, even on full blast, the room still seemed really hot. It was an old unit, and just didn't seem to work very well at all, the room never felt totally cool to me, and it was 90 degrees outside the days I was there! The lobby didn't even feel that cool, when it would have been nice to come into a cool building after being outside! I even considered opening the door a little to sleep, but didn't. The room opened out on to a rooftop "balcony", but there was no view other than the building. The bed was comfortable, nice flat screen TV, no safe which I'm finding to be more and more common in hotels now, when it used to be a standard amenity. I also don't think the bathroom had an exhaust fan, which I've also noticed is becoming more common. The wifi is $12.95 a day, I wouldn't pay for it, as you can go down in the lobby and use it for free. There was one other thing I noticed about my room, a ceiling panel by the door was loose, I was worried it was going to fall down. There was bottled water available in the room, the smaller bottle was free, and replenished daily, the larger one was $4. It was easier to get a 20oz bottle for $1.50 from the vending machine down the hall.

I didn't eat at any of the restaurants or use the fitness center, so I can't comment on those. The business center is free, and in the middle of the lobby. I had to use the bathroom once while in the lobby, and though it's listed on a directory as existing, I couldn't find it anywhere. There was another guest looking for it also, he even asked me if I knew where it was, and I said I didn't know. There's also a gift shop with a Starbucks in the lobby that opens early and was open until around 10:00 PM. I also can't comment on the parking, as I didn't have a car. I flew into LAX, took the Flyaway bus for $7 to Union Station and then took a cab from there. I wouldn't recommend a cab directly from LAX to the hotel, it's VERY expensive. The hotel has a car service they partner with if that is something you're interested in.

I was traveling solo, and honestly, walking in the area sometimes made me nervous, because of some of the shady looking people and homeless people that are by the mall. I swear the one night I walked over to Walgreen's and there was a homeless woman following me. She went into the store and I walked away from her, she didn't follow me, but was talking loudly to herself throughout the store, I did notice calls for security while I was in there. The front desk clerk also told me the Staples Center was within walking distance when I asked him how to get there, I don't think I would have felt safe walking it, the metro was a lot better. It's not that the area was bad, it wasn't, it was just some of the people around the area made me feel uncomfortable (and normally I'm fine).

Overall, my stay was fine, and if I needed to be in the downtown area again, I'd probably stay here again. I got a great rate with AAA with not much advance notice, and it worked out well for me as it was convenient to where I was going.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
San Jose, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Nice business hotel. Stayed here as 2 small blocks away from work.

Comfortable and clean. 3 stars as the hotel appear a bit dated. Staff rarely smile or greet you.

Next time I would prefer to stay at the JW Marriott or the Ritz if they had a good rate.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Sheraton_LA_Downtown, General Manager at Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for offering your comments.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed at the Sheraton DownTown Los Angeles in April 2013. It was a clean and comfortable hotel, nothing special and nothing to complain about. Location is good, but I wouldn't recommend staying in Downtown LA for tourists with rental cars. It's just too busy around that area.

We paid for wifi but it wasn't working properly in our room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!