“Good value hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   711 South Hope Street, Los Angeles, CA 90017 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #115 of 322 hotels in Los Angeles
“Good value hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

On the plus side, reasonably priced hotel, the beds are comfortable and the location is really good, especially for a conference or visit to LA Live.
That is where the good points end. I will try and be constructive. The rooms are very dated and a/c is terrible. Staying in the hotter months would be torture. The windows don't open at all either, which makes the rooms claustrophobic. The alarm calls for the close by rooms are incredibly loud, so they woke me up, every morning. There are no safety deposit boxes, mini bar or fridges in the room either.
If you need to contact reception, or an individual who works at the hotel, forget it. We tried for over a week before our arrival, either nobody answered the phone, or emails were left unanswered. Very, very poor service prior to our arrival. Nothing we had asked for in conjuction with our group was organised when we arrived.
Overall, very disappointing for a Sheraton.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sheraton_LA_Downtown, General Manager at Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thanks for your comments and I am sorry that your experience was not as we would have liked. Happy, though, that you enjoyed our location close to LA Live and the Convention Center!

801 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Newton, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

A short walk to LA Live, but this is an old sheraton in fair condition and in need of a renovation. Rooms, corridors and lobby are dated and in need of a refresh. The self parking elevators are a bit of a walk from the hotel, so the extra few bucks for valet is worth it. Parking is expensive, there are garages within a block or two that are less than half the cost. Rooms elevators are quite slow, so you should request a low floor (there are no great views from the high floors). Room service menu is limited and concierge lounge offerings are weak. Signage and access are not readily apparent to first time visitors, enter from South Hope Street. There are better value alternatives in downtown.

Room Tip: go with low floor to avoid elevator hassles,
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Wow! Thanks for the comments......appreciate your concern and for taking the time to share your observations. Sorry we couldn't deliver, but the feedback is well received.
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Recently stayed at this property and liked most everything about it. Close enough to LA Live that we could walk, but far enough to escape from the conference. Close to several restaurants and shopping. The public spaces were very well appointed with a "rich" look and feel. Unfortunately, the rooms didn't quite keep pace. Beds was comfortable and all the furnishings were functional. Shower only and it was a little tight for anyone over 5'10". Water pressure was lacking and hot water was hard to get. The Club Room was small, offered limited service and I felt like an outsider going in there. Not worth the extra room price.

Room Tip: I wouldn't pay extra for the club floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sheraton_LA_Downtown, General Manager at Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Sorry that you were given a "shower only" room, generally offered upon request. We will soon be able to welcome you into our new 26th Floor Sheraton Club, offering specatular views of the city skyline. Look forward to welcoming you back!
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

overpriced parking... park across the street for $10 overnight

club floor breakfast is a joke... pass

junior suite was beyond noisy because it is next to the elevator... kept me up...

I would not stay here again and I am a platinum member... souless hotel and very average/outdated

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sheraton_LA_Downtown, General Manager at Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Apologies we failed to live up to your anticipation.....extensive renovations are soon to be announced and trust that may meet with approval....thanks for your feedback.
Fresno, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The Sheraton Downtown LA is relatively close to the staples center (about 7-8 blocks away) and I felt safe walking there and back, even late at night after the concert got out. We pulled up to valet, and saw no one around to help us, so we got out of the car and asked someone where to park. We Self parked ($28/day), and yes the circle thing you drive up to get to the parking garage is crazy but fun. You have to walk thru a run down mall (where I got approached by homeless for money) to get to Sheraton. Once you get the the Sheraton its very nice, the Lobby is awesome.

We were given a room on the 24th floor. It had great views but windows dirty and smeared so good luck seeing anything. The AC stayed on the whole time and is a bit noisy but I loved it, drowned out the other noise. I never heard a thing and I am a light sleeper. We received a free bottled water in our room. Wi-fi was an extra charge. We could hardly get any 3G service on our Verizon phones in our room. Odd. Maybe a Verizon thing too. The bed was comfy and we both slept very well.

Staff was very nice. They let you out of the elevators first, gave us a room key to use the lobby bathrooms (after we checked out, guess they keep it locked to keep homeless out) and were efficient at check in and out.

Two dislikes: No wash cloths at all in our room the 2nd night (I love my skin care regimen so I was not thrilled about this) and no pen and paper in the room, which right when I got to the room, I had to take a call where I needed to jot down a phone number and needed it. Just odd to me.

Over all, decent hotel, not thrilled about the mall part and valet, but an easy walk to the Staples Center which is why we stayed here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I recently had a horrible experience trying to do business at this hotel. If you are ANY type of business person who needs to meet with a client, this is not the hotel for you. I had an important meeting with a client, and I inquired at the hotel if there was any space other than the lobby where I could have the meeting. I was icily told by concierge that the only way that I would be able to use any other space in the hotel was if I paid for it. Concierge also told me that I was free to use the couches in the middle of the lobby (there are three only) or the bar. Even though the restaurant was closed that afternoon, since it was a Sunday, I was not allowed to even meet for a bit at an empty table. So I tried to make do - I waited for my clients in the lobby, but given that there were conferences at the hotel that weekend, the space was overcrowded and loud. It was impossible to even have a decent conversation. So we moved to a bar table and ordered non-alcoholic drinks. The waitress asked us if that was "all we were going to order" and I said yes. She told us - very rudely - that if that was it, she may need to ask us to leave because there were other customers who may want to use the table to order more (i.e., food and/or alcoholic drinks). After a few minutes - SHE ASKED US TO LEAVE. That's right folks - kicked out for not spending enough quickly enough and then getting the hell out of the way. I ended up meeting with my clients on a couch in a hallway someplace, just to finish up. The room was decent, the bed was great, but nothing mattered after being treated like a cash cow by the staff. I will never return to this hotel and I seriously would consider not returning to any Sheraton. I was embarrassed to have chosen the place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Becca, thanks for your feedback and our apologies for your disatisfaction.
State College, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I just had lunch in the restaurant (a steep $20 for a lunch buffet), and there were bugs flying around my table the whole time. I tried to get on the Internet to check e-mail, and the whole time I had lunch, I was able to check only one e-mail note -- the system is SO slow. Plus, it's not free -- $12 per day. The Internet was so slow in my room, I though maybe the restaurant would be better, but it was just as slow. I complained to the people at the front desk and they blamed AT&T.

When I checked in, there were hairs all over the floor of my bath room.

There is no exercise room. I was sent to a Gold's Gym, 2 blocks away. Gold's Gym was fine, but having to walk past the homeless people in downtown LA in the dark at 5 in the morning was VERY uncomfortable, probably not safe, and I'm shocked the hotel staff would recommend guests do that -- probably not safe walking around alone.

It's the worst Sheraton I've stayed at. I'm staying here now, but I don't plan to return.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sheraton_LA_Downtown, General Manager at Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thanks for your comments and our apologies for the challenges noted. Complimentary internet is available in The Link @ Sheraton and throughout our Lobby, as with all Sheratons, and we will be opening our spectacular Sheraton Fitness Powered by Core Performance on the 26ht floor of the hotel in the next few days. If you are still here, please contact me....I look forward to meeting you and showcasing our new facility!

Been to Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!