“Typical Sheraton” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   711 South Hope Street, Los Angeles, CA 90017 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #116 of 323 hotels in Los Angeles
Austin, Texas
“Typical Sheraton”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

overpriced parking... park across the street for $10 overnight

club floor breakfast is a joke... pass

junior suite was beyond noisy because it is next to the elevator... kept me up...

I would not stay here again and I am a platinum member... souless hotel and very average/outdated

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sheraton_LA_Downtown, General Manager at Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Apologies we failed to live up to your anticipation.....extensive renovations are soon to be announced and trust that may meet with approval....thanks for your feedback.

814 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Fresno, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The Sheraton Downtown LA is relatively close to the staples center (about 7-8 blocks away) and I felt safe walking there and back, even late at night after the concert got out. We pulled up to valet, and saw no one around to help us, so we got out of the car and asked someone where to park. We Self parked ($28/day), and yes the circle thing you drive up to get to the parking garage is crazy but fun. You have to walk thru a run down mall (where I got approached by homeless for money) to get to Sheraton. Once you get the the Sheraton its very nice, the Lobby is awesome.

We were given a room on the 24th floor. It had great views but windows dirty and smeared so good luck seeing anything. The AC stayed on the whole time and is a bit noisy but I loved it, drowned out the other noise. I never heard a thing and I am a light sleeper. We received a free bottled water in our room. Wi-fi was an extra charge. We could hardly get any 3G service on our Verizon phones in our room. Odd. Maybe a Verizon thing too. The bed was comfy and we both slept very well.

Staff was very nice. They let you out of the elevators first, gave us a room key to use the lobby bathrooms (after we checked out, guess they keep it locked to keep homeless out) and were efficient at check in and out.

Two dislikes: No wash cloths at all in our room the 2nd night (I love my skin care regimen so I was not thrilled about this) and no pen and paper in the room, which right when I got to the room, I had to take a call where I needed to jot down a phone number and needed it. Just odd to me.

Over all, decent hotel, not thrilled about the mall part and valet, but an easy walk to the Staples Center which is why we stayed here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I recently had a horrible experience trying to do business at this hotel. If you are ANY type of business person who needs to meet with a client, this is not the hotel for you. I had an important meeting with a client, and I inquired at the hotel if there was any space other than the lobby where I could have the meeting. I was icily told by concierge that the only way that I would be able to use any other space in the hotel was if I paid for it. Concierge also told me that I was free to use the couches in the middle of the lobby (there are three only) or the bar. Even though the restaurant was closed that afternoon, since it was a Sunday, I was not allowed to even meet for a bit at an empty table. So I tried to make do - I waited for my clients in the lobby, but given that there were conferences at the hotel that weekend, the space was overcrowded and loud. It was impossible to even have a decent conversation. So we moved to a bar table and ordered non-alcoholic drinks. The waitress asked us if that was "all we were going to order" and I said yes. She told us - very rudely - that if that was it, she may need to ask us to leave because there were other customers who may want to use the table to order more (i.e., food and/or alcoholic drinks). After a few minutes - SHE ASKED US TO LEAVE. That's right folks - kicked out for not spending enough quickly enough and then getting the hell out of the way. I ended up meeting with my clients on a couch in a hallway someplace, just to finish up. The room was decent, the bed was great, but nothing mattered after being treated like a cash cow by the staff. I will never return to this hotel and I seriously would consider not returning to any Sheraton. I was embarrassed to have chosen the place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sheraton_LA_Downtown, General Manager at Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Becca, thanks for your feedback and our apologies for your disatisfaction.
State College, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I just had lunch in the restaurant (a steep $20 for a lunch buffet), and there were bugs flying around my table the whole time. I tried to get on the Internet to check e-mail, and the whole time I had lunch, I was able to check only one e-mail note -- the system is SO slow. Plus, it's not free -- $12 per day. The Internet was so slow in my room, I though maybe the restaurant would be better, but it was just as slow. I complained to the people at the front desk and they blamed AT&T.

When I checked in, there were hairs all over the floor of my bath room.

There is no exercise room. I was sent to a Gold's Gym, 2 blocks away. Gold's Gym was fine, but having to walk past the homeless people in downtown LA in the dark at 5 in the morning was VERY uncomfortable, probably not safe, and I'm shocked the hotel staff would recommend guests do that -- probably not safe walking around alone.

It's the worst Sheraton I've stayed at. I'm staying here now, but I don't plan to return.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sheraton_LA_Downtown, General Manager at Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thanks for your comments and our apologies for the challenges noted. Complimentary internet is available in The Link @ Sheraton and throughout our Lobby, as with all Sheratons, and we will be opening our spectacular Sheraton Fitness Powered by Core Performance on the 26ht floor of the hotel in the next few days. If you are still here, please contact me....I look forward to meeting you and showcasing our new facility!
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

If you are looking for a nice modern hotel, this is not it! Rooms are dated and there is no free wifi. The hotel is above a shopping mall and except for a few places to eat, there is really nothing much to find. The metro train is right across the street. Its close to attractions like LA Live, ESPN Zone etc. Good place to stay if you have a business meetings downtown, otherwise, pick another hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Disappointed that we failed to meet expectations....and sorry that you didn't enjoy some of the many restaurants, entertainment venues and attractions close at hand. Happy travels!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

I was promised club access by mgmt prior to arrival. ELSIE (mgmt) told me that I was lying and there was no male mgmt working that day. She proceeded to punish me by denying me every request and sticking me on the 7th floor stating there was nothing else available. Cue the manager from the back whom I talked to earlier and promised me. He honored his statements and confirmed my story. Elsie slinks to the back and refused to come out when I asked for her. No apologies for her disgusting attitude and ugly statements. She was BEYOND NASTY! Tearing up my spg card!

• Stayed January 2013
I am disappointed by your feedback but appreciate your concern. It is unfortunate that this misunderstanding and the perception you were given has led to the decision you mention in your post. Your experience is certainly not typical of the great majority of our guests and we are sorry that we will not have the opportunity to welcome you back.
Minneola, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This was a VERY disappointing experience. Our admin assistant booked the room for me and was quoted a government rate, even though we are not a government agency. She made the reservation over the phone and the government rate was offered by an agent over the phone. Of course she went along with the booking. After working and traveling across the country, I went to check in and was told that I do not have a government ID and could not check in with that rate. I had to pay TRIPLE the cost for every night. I spoke to Jun or June, the night manager, who repeatedly tried to demean by saying, "you have to show your government ID." He kept saying it as if I were an idiot. I explained repeatedly that I did not make the booking and they should honor the rate. Jun gave me an AAA discount. I then decided to cancel the remainder of the reservation and stay only one night. It was VERY unpleasant and I did not appreciate the unprofessional manner in which this was handled. Once checked in, I called the corporate office, but it was already after hours. It was 1 in the morning PST which is 4am EST to my body. They should modify their reservation procedures or educate the agents. There is at least one person out there misrepresenting the brand.

The rate should have been honored. They then could go back to the person that made the reservation and deal with them. However, they just assumed their staff was 100% correct.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sheraton_LA_Downtown, General Manager at Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and our apologies for not having handled this challenge appropriately. While our reservation confirmations for Government Rates always specify the need to show the appropriate government ID for the rate to be honored we respect your comments and trust we may be able to welcome you back on onother occasion.

Been to Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!