“Pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel

You added Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   711 South Hope Street, Los Angeles, CA 90017 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #127 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
San Francisco, CA
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

My friends and I stayed here for a few nights during the Labor Day weekend in Sept. 2012 and we didn't have any negative experiences during our time here. The three of us stayed in a room on the 23rd fl that had one king sized bed and a roll-away bed (two twin/double sized beds for the three of us wasn't available anymore, due to the time that we had checked in). I slept on the roll-away bed and although at first I thought it'd be uncomfortable, once I slept on the actual bed, I felt it really wasn't uncomfortable to me at all, but this could mainly be due to the fact that I sleep on a $100 mattress from the Salvation Army at home, and am not one of those people spoiled with a mattress that costs nearly a thousand dollars, so I may be an exception.

However, the only thing that did bother me initially with the roll-away bed, was that the blanket provided with it was way too thin. Yes, it was during summer that we stayed, but compared to the down filled comforter provided with the regular beds, initially it was a let-down that I only got a flimsy blanket, but this was solved easily when we told the maid who came in the next morning to please bring another blanket and also another pillow. The maid that we encountered was very nice and brought what we needed, so in the end, everything turned out well.

The room itself that we stayed in was a corner unit, so I loved the fact that we had a lot of windows and views (mostly of other surrounding buildings) from both sides and also that the actual room was pretty big in size. In retrospect, this particular room was easily one of the biggest hotel rooms I've ever stayed at. The bathroom was decent, not exactly the best hotel bathroom I'd ever seen and used, but it was all right. We thought it was kinda odd that the towel rack thing was actually installed in the bath tub area and that there wasn't a rack or something that was present in the actual bathroom. I ended up placing my clothes on top of the lid of the toilet and on the counter top. The counter space around the sink was sufficient, but my friends and I thought that the sink itself was kinda deep and placed in a way so that it was hard to wash your face without water splashing all over the surrounding countertop area.

The parking lot for this Sheraton Hotel is huge and located within a 5min walk or so, from the actual hotel. My friends and I will never forget the drive up to the level of the parking area - it's a pretty insane oneway climb up and you have to keep going around and around and around to reach the main areas where you can park! The main entrance to this hotel was accessed via from inside the mall, which we thought was quite interesting. Lobby area was very nice and since this hotel is in downtown, there was easy access to places to eat or get breakfast from.

We utilized the Starbucks that's located a block or two away from the Sheraton, for breakfast. There is also a Starbucks in the lobby, but their selection is not as comprehensive as compared to what you would find in an actual Starbucks store. Rooms are provided with complimentary bottles of water (which to me, is a rarity, nowadays) and there is a bucket for ice and the ice machine was conveniently located right across our room. I highly doubt that I'd ever stay at a hotel in L.A. again in the future, but if I ever did return, I'll keep this particular hotel in mind of possible places to stay at, as it ended up being a positive experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Sheraton_LA_Downtown, General Manager at Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
I am sorry about the thin blanket (and for the adventure riding up the parking lot!). But we appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Loved the downtown Sheraton. Excellent location and great service by the staff. Room size and view was fantastic. Enjoyed both the room service (excellent presentation) and breakfast in the restaurant downstairs. The food was very good, while not being too pricey. Would definitely go back again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
It is rewarding to know that our efforts to provide great service are recognized. Thank you for your feedback.
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

The staff was really nice and accommodating here, but MAN, this place needs an upgrade. The lobby sofas, walls, wallpaper, etc were stained, dinged, and dirty. The bed was extremely comfortable, the bathroom felt like a bathroom in a low-rent motel. There were never enough towels, and those that existed were rough and sparse (and ironically there were not enough of them). I stayed here for work, and save the very friendly staff I wouldn't stay here if I were paying. It isn't that good of a value -- you can stay in a boutique hotel for about the same price.

Room Tip: Don't stay if you don't have to.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sheraton_LA_Downtown, General Manager at Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thanks for your constructive criticism and sorry we failed to impress. We are always in the process of renewal and very soon look forward to opening the new Sheraton Fitness and Sheraton Club Lounge facilities to be located on the 26th floor of the hotel. Your comments will be shared with the team for follow up and we look forward to being able to regain your confidence next time.
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

This hotel seems much smaller than it really is, as the tiny waiting area at street level gives way to a sprawling complex underground with a bar and restaurants, checkin area, Starbucks/gift shop, and access to an indoor mall without having to leave the hotel. Then, the floor underneath that has massive conference rooms and meeting areas. It's actually pretty impressive.

Rooms are very Sheraton average. Some signs of age in the bathrooms, but the bed is nice and comfortable, and the wi-fi works pretty well.

Location is, well, depends on what you're looking for. It's walking distance to the convention center and there's plenty of stores right around (including a Walgreens) that come in handy, but it also gets plenty sketchy on those walks if you're going out at night. And parking is impressively expensive. So maybe it isn't a great location. YMMV, you know?

I'd stay here again, but this hotel is a step down from the JW/Four Seasons in/near LA Live.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Sheraton_LA_Downtown, General Manager at Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thanks for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Boca Raton, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

As a Platinum SPG Member, I stay at lots of Sheratons around the world. This one needs updating outside, in the lobby, club lounge, corridors, rooms and bathrooms. People are nice, even though there was always a line at the front desk. Location is good downtown, and room on the 3rd floor was quiet. The shower water pressure was excellent. Still, it does not make up for a tired looking hotel where the AC in the room did not work, and the bathoom looks like it has never changed since originally built 20 years ago. With so many good choices for $200, I will change hotels to another SPG property or maybe the Omni.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Sheraton_LA_Downtown, General Manager at Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
PAQ, thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Yes, a renovation is planned for 2013 to address the issues your raise, but I am pleased to know that the people aspect, which we can control, was in line with your expectations. Thanks for your loyalty to Starwood. We look forward to regaining your confidence as improvements get underway.
berkeley, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Downtown LA isn't always the most hospitable spot for visitors: many of the sidewalks smell as if they are toilets, there are many people living on the streets, and walk a block or two in the 'wrong' direction and you'll be wondering about your safety. That said though, it's much better than it was 10 years ago when I regularly starting staying for short business trips downtown.
The Sheraton is very conveniently located: nearby to public transportation, easy walk to Staples Center or the Convention Center. The hotel has a reasonable bar, nice room if nothing special. The staff was very helpful and always able to answer my questions or provide the service I was requesting. There is no exercise facility on site, but in the attached mall there is a nice gym with free access for Sheraton guests.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate your comments and look forward to your next visit!
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

The hotel itself is decent, clean rooms, nice lobby area, restaurant and bar handy, and staff fairly friendly. The problem is with some of the finer points which will not let it get even close to 4 stars:

- There is WIFI (internet) in the rooms. However, this costs $13/day PER DEVICE. So, for our family of four, where my children and I each have a laptop and tablet, and my wife a tablet, this is 7 devices. Thus, per day, the cost of using these in our room would be almost $100! What the heck. I brought this to the attention of one of the front desk people, and was told, in his words, that indeed that was the policy "as ridiculous as it is, which I have never seen in any of the other hotels I have worked at". The next day I asked the manager on duty and was also told this was the policy. His solution - use the free wifi in the lobby. OK - sure - I'll send down my two young children to the lobby by themselves while my wife and I are out, or late at night after the old folks go to sleep. CRAZY. Internet should be free these days, just like regular TV. If you need to charge $3/day more per room, do it and stop the nickel and dime antics (don't get me started with Spirit airlines - $3 for a cup of water, how to use the life vest when taking off, but credit card commercials while preparing to land...)

- Always WARM! We had out room AC set on maximum (there are no #'s, just a min/max slider), but during the day it was routinely very warm (estimate 76 degrees, even though only 80 outside that week), and never got down to near 70 until about 2am. Several other people I ran into stated the same issue. Big time need for an AC upgrade - have not seen a system like this in 30 years.

- There is a CONCIERGE desk, but during the week we were there, never saw anyone there. This left the front desk to answer questions, while the line to check in building up behind me.

- They seemed to only have 1 BELLMAN, which took forever checking in and out, and leaving our luggage for a few hours after we checked out.

- The restaurant was OK, although the 3 times I went there to eat myself (early am), they kept trying to sit me in the worst table, up against a pylon, despite the fact that the place was 95% empty.

- MOVIES on demand: $18 per movie! Instead, we streamed the same movie from amazon on one of our laptops (and watched on the small screen - cozy) for $3.95. Time for hotels to switch away from these pay channels to a real streaming service.

- NO POOL or even any outside place to sit to get some sun. Only place to sit was in the lobby, which is subterranean - no windows possible.Ugh.

On the plus side, they do have a fair amount of outlets in the room, but could use more than the standard 2 by the bed (my kids fighting for the one open plug for their laptops in bed, while I'm trying to use it for my CPAP machine - but of course, laptops take priority over breathing).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Good feedback....we will work on the rough spots and are sorry for not meeting full expectations.

Been to Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!