“A Sheraton below Sheraton Standards” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   711 South Hope Street, Los Angeles, CA 90017 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #115 of 322 hotels in Los Angeles
New York
“A Sheraton below Sheraton Standards”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

I stayed in this Sheraton for a week recently, and found that it fell below the normal Sheraton standards. Here is a list of its inadequacies:
1. There is no safe in guest room for storage of valuables;
2. There is not a swimming pool;
3. There is not a convenient self-parking space. Self-parking actually uses the parking space of an adjacent mall. To go to the parking garage, you would have to go down to the ground level of the hotel, walk to the mall, and then take a mall elevator to the fourth floor parking space. Very inconvenient. And they charge $28/day for this;
4. There isn't a gym in hotel. Guests have to use the Bally Total Fitness facility in the adjacent mall;
5. There isn't a second phone in bathroom; and
6. In twin-bed rooms, there is only one small nightstand shared by both beds;

The location of the hotel, however, is quite good. It is right in the city center and still close to freeways.

Room Tip: 23rd or 24th floors are SPG floors with lounge and snack foods.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Sheraton_LA_Downtown, General Manager at Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
I am sorry that we failed to get high points on your score card but trust that our location, value, comfort and service made up for the lack of pool, in-room safe and bathroom telephone. We appreciate your business and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

804 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012 via mobile

I was offered a free upgrade to a 2-room suite. The clerk actually said, "if you are a light sleeper, you might not like this room, it's near the elevator," but since I'm a solid sleeper, who also travels with a white noise machine, I figured it would be no problem. Oh my goodness, was that ever a horrible mistake. I barely slept that night. The thrumming, clanking, machinery noises switched on and off irregularly all night. Every time I got used to them, the pattern changed. The white noise machine was no help since the vibrations went right through the floors and wall, it wasn't just a noise you could block out. I finally got to sleep very late, then was startled awake at 3 am. I thought about getting up, repacking everything and moving rooms, but it was already so late and I had a big presentation the next day! It was easily the worst night of sleep I have had in a hotel since I stayed in an un-air- conditioned Howard Johnson's in 1992. The next day when I went to switch rooms they didn't seem surprised at all. . . I don't know who could sleep in those suite rooms. A homeless person accustomed to sleeping under a noisy bridge? Someone taking Ambien who is thus completely drugged out of their mind? Someone who drank about 40 martinis and then passed out? If none of these descriptors apply to you, then avoid those suites.

The regular room I switched to was fine, no complaints. Relief! They should convert the elevator-shaft suites into broom closets.

• Stayed December 2011
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

We picked the hotel because of location, but were really disappointed with the hotel itself -it is not up to the standarts of Sheraton Brand! We were put on 12th floor (not for Starwood preferred guests - as we are)- the carpet on the floor was very dirty, the smell in elevetor is really bad! Nobody helped us with 2 heavy bags... Only one good thing - if You want shopping - the hotel is a part of Macy's Mall. One more advise - if You want to walk to Little Tokyo - do not do it - Area is absolutely awful - a lot of homeless people everywhere , as well as garbage on the streets.. Take a taxi!

Room Tip: Hope You ask for Starwood Preferred Guests floor
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
I was disappointed to read your comments, but appreciate your constructive feedback. The guest corridor and elevator cleanliness issues are not typical of our service level and I apologise for our lack of attention during your stay. Thank you for your business. We trust you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back on your next trip to LA.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

The Sheraton hotel was a great hotel to stay at. My wife and I had a lot of fun and plan on coming back next year. The hotel is close to the staples center and convention center, so watching a game there or any event is an easy 15 minute walk.
What I love about this hotel is that it's so close to the freeway (in a quiet sense), and there's public transportation all around the hotel, easy accessabile for anyone looking to go to Hollywood and other major attractions. A special thank you goes out to Jason at the front desk from my wife and I. We appreciated his extended kindness and extra mile he went for upgrading us to a good room. He made our stay more enjoyable after a recommendation he gave us for a resteraunt in Long Beach and a connection he had with the manager to get us a beautiful city view on a last minute notice.
Another good factor about this hotel is the free internet and printing services they have in the lobby, great for printing out my boarding pass. We had a corner room and what's nice about these corner rooms is the type of view it has on a 3-D angle, but you have to be pretty high up to get a decent view. It's true what other reviews are saying about their beds, they are so soft and lovely. We are actually thinking of purchasing one ourselves.

Room Tip: This Hotel is highly recommended by me n my wife. We enjoyed our stay very much, and my opinion woul...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

This hotel is conveniently located downtown, within a small shopping mall anchored by Macy's Express. Gustavo at the reception made check-in fast and pleasant. The room was spacious, well-appointed. Elevators were busy and a bit slow. Although it is within a block of a Metro station, it is more likely that you have arrived at the hotel with a car as we did. The parking situation was confusing when we read up ahead of our arrival. Public parking at Pershing Square is a good 7 minutes walk away, inconvenient and not recommended. Do not park on the street, since a ticket will cost more than daily parking rates. If you bring your car and do not plan to use until you leave, park at a lot across the street on Hope for $5 all day. If you plan to use your car frequently during your stay, the rate of $28 a day with in and out privilege in the garage above Macy's, next to Sheraton, is reasonable, compared to $38 at some hotels nearby. Entrance to this garage is on either Flower or Hope and be prepared to drive roller-coaster style to the 4th floor to park. Valet parking is also available, at $32 daily, including the inconvenience of waiting for car delivery at the Hope entrance. We were pleased with our stay at Sheraton Downtown, and plan to return in the future. If you stay here, please do plan to go to Bottega Louie, a gourmet patisserie and restaurant one block away on W 7th St and Grand for memorable breakfast, lunch or dinner.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

I stayed here in order to attend a friend's wedding. I booked a double room but they were able to give me a king size bed room when I arrived. I had to rely on public transportation since I don't drive and this hotel is right across the street from the metro. It is also across the street from Walgreens and CVS (or was it Rite Aid?) so picking up nick knacks was easy. I liked my room on the 9th floor but it can get noisy out in the hall way. I would hear people walking back and forth and workers wheeling things. I ordered room service one night and find it to be a bit expensive but my salad was delicious. It was nice that they have computer free for use in the lobby for up to 45 minute intervals. That allowed me to check my email quickly without having to pay for wifi. I ventured out to the mall next to the hotel and found this beauty store down stairs. I got my brows waxed there for $7.5 and thought that price is not bad, but she almost freaked me out because she took 30 minutes doing it and she had to find her glasses mid-way. My brows turned out great but the time she spent and the whole experience did get me worried.

All the staff that I came across (check-in staff, room service person and delivery staff, staff that I see in the hall) were all courteous and looked willing to help. I liked my stay here and wouldn't mind staying here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

Brilliant thankyou Gustavano you made our stay memorable. All the best and I recommend this hotel to all as the location is great and the service was wonderful.
The beds were fab.

Room Tip: Join the loyalty program.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!