“A really nice base from which to see L.A.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   711 South Hope Street, Los Angeles, CA 90017 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #111 of 322 hotels in Los Angeles
Farnborough, Hampshire
“A really nice base from which to see L.A.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2007

My husband and I began our honeymoon in Los Angeles, and chose the Sheraton Downtown hotel as a base from which to explore the city. It has a fantastic location, right near the 7th Street metro station. The hotel was large and clean, and the staff were very helpful. Our room was large and clean too, with a lovely king size bed. We had no reason to complain at all, and had a very pleasant 3 night stay.

Stayed August 2007

794 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

I stayed at the Downtown Los Angeles Sheraton July 25-July 29. Had a very nice stay. Hotel was very clean, but somewhat dark. You can't expect too much going on downtown with it being in a business district.

The hotel is connected to a mall that has a fitness club, a few food establishments, a Macy's, Express, Bath & Body Works, and a few other establishments. This came in handy when you are wanting an inexpensive dining alternative, or something just quick. There is also a Rite Aid just across the street. Very handy if you need a quick sunscreen pick-up.

The room was clean, nothing exciting. The wireless internet was awful. I signed up for service one morning at 8am and I guess I didn't read the terms and conditions (I know, I know, my fault), and when we got back that evening, my internet connection was turned off. I called Wayport and they advised me that no matter what time you sign up, it will be cut off at 3pm that day. Somewhat stupid I think, but he reconnected me and gave me a coupon code for an extra day. I didn't even ask for it, so that was nice, especially since the connection was 12.95 per day.

Parking is 22.00, which, I know, not a fantastic thing, but it is in a parking deck that seemed safe and the price is up to par of other downtown business district hotels in the country.

I booked my room thru priceline for 70.00 a night, plus the fee and taxes. I stayed Wednesday thru Saturday. The hotel's website was quoting prices of 198.00 per night, including taxes. So not a bad deal.

Overall, the staff was great, especially Melanie at check-in. Nelson, the bartender was great as well. They take care of you and are prepared to handle any issue you may have.

• Liked — Clean rooms, great staff
  • Disliked — Internet connection, parking price (but it's on par with other hotels)
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2007

I stayed here on a business trip and I would have to say it is just okay. I usually stay at the Westin Bonaventure and prefer that hotel more. The hotel is getting old and the rooms need worked on. The room was cleaned, it just looks worn out. The exercise facility is horrible and incredibly small. What I do recommend here is the salad at the bar. It was delicious, one of the best ever. It was their chicken salad, and the staff there were very friendly. Parking wasnt great, didnt feel very safe considering it is a mall also so not only other hotel guests. Inside the hotel you felt safer,mostly business travelers and a few tourists.

• Liked — the salad
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
Bristol, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

We stayed at the Sheraton from July 7th for 4 nights and had an excellent experience. The location is absolutely ideal with Universal Studios only 20 mins drive away and our deal on Expedia included a 2 day pass. Although not inclued in the package, we were also offered free parking, saving us $22 a day.

The area itself lacks personality and although there are some good restaurants, they are hard to find. We dined at No.28 Engine Co, a great American restaurant within a block of the hotel but it took us a 20 min walk to find it originally. There is also a Bar Grill within 5 mins walk which was also a good meal. The metro is literally at the end of the road and therefore access to Hollywood easy.

Overall a nice hotel, excellent location if you want to be slightly out of the madness of Hollywood but with easy access when you want it. Staff very helpful and bar staff especially polite and attentive!!

• Liked — Location and Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Lack of pool
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
Lake Tahoe, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2007

We read mixed reviews on this hotel and did not know what to expect. We were going to a couple shows at The Orpheum which is why we chose to stay here. The hotel is connected to a small mall area with a Macy's, food court, salon, juice bar, Express, etc...I had actually forgotten some items, so it was convenient. There is a Rite Aid right across the street if you need anything too.

The lobby area was nice and new looking-We checked in early and the lady at the front desk was extremely helpful, the room was clean, the bed was comfortable, you do have to pay for wireless, water, etc... but in general, the hotel exceeded our expectations. No swimming pool or hot tub or anything like that. The restaurant that you can get breakfast at is in a weird location in the mall, but the food was good.

Did not see many transients or sketchy people, the security at the hotel was good. We never had a problem catching a cab or anything. We did walk home from the theatre a couple nights and did not encounter anything unusual or dangerous.

It looked like a better option than a lot of other places that we passed in the downtown area.

• Liked — Proximity to theatre district.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2007

I am a Sheraton Vacation Owner, Gold status and I was very disappointed by the treatment I received at this hotel. Check-in and Check-out were extremely slow. I think it was because visitors found issues with reservations and staff were trying to fix the errors. Received room on 11th floor (not club floor as promised with Gold Membership). Room was very small and I felt trapped! Asked for another room on lower floor. Moved to 3rd floor, which only slightly bigger, but still not the club floor. The beds were hard. Definitely not the Heavenly Beds of the Westin! There was only a small tiny shower with no bathtub. Beware, there is no pool or jacuzzi at this hotel. The is a old spa, which is covered outside of the gym on the 3rd floor. But it looked as though no one had been in it for quite sometime. The rails were broken and laying next to the spa. I only stayed one night and I needed a late check out (which is has always been granted with Gold Membership. Requested the later check out and the rude staff told me they could only allow a 1pm check as they were booked 100%. I asked to speak to manager. I had received no other benefits of Gold Membership, so I thought this one request should at least be honored!! Management did grant my request. There is a mall right outside the hotel lobby which is convenient. We went on Sunday night to try and find something to eat. Most places were closed. We finally found a California Pizza Kitchen that was open until 10pm. Would definitely not stay at this hotel again!! Parking fee was $24 per night.

• Liked — Location to where I needed to be the next morning
  • Disliked — service, beds, and room size
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oakland, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

I booked this hotel through Priceline's "Name Your Own Price" feature, so it's not like I really chose to stay here, but the experience was decent. The pluses: convenient to the 110 and 10 freeways with easy access to Hollywood and LAX; near Original Pantry, an awesome old-fashioned breakfast place/diner; right across the street from RiteAid for your late-night toiletry needs; shares the building with a small mall (although it's mostly closed at night) with a Bally's gym; has a small fitness center with a patio for freeweights; good customer service and clean, elegant rooms. The minuses: no air conditioning in our room (it didn't bother us too much since we're from the Bay Area and never use air conditioning); limited food choices at night in the area (unless you want to spend a lot of money or eat cheap diner food at IHOP, the Pantry or Denny's); and few amenities in the room (VERY basic cable, VERY expensive movies). Definitely designed for the business traveler, and not useful for other types of folks.

• Liked — The Sweet Sleeper bed, very comfortable
  • Disliked — The dead-at-night location
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!