“Classy and clean in downtown LA” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Luxe City Center Hotel

You added Luxe City Center Hotel to your Saves list
Luxe City Center Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1020 South Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, CA 90015 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #23 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“Classy and clean in downtown LA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Having been to LA four times for work, I'd always booked too late to get accommodation near LA Live and the Convention Centre, instead having to stay around Hollywood and then make the trek downtown. This year I didn't make the same mistake, and got in early to reserve a place at this hotel.

Across the road from LA Live and a short 5 minute walk from the convention centre, it's PERFECTLY located for people in town for a conference or event. The hotel itself is clean, but understandably pricy for the event (E3). Staff were pleasant and helpful, and organised a relaxing ride back to LAX when we checked out. The bar is also quite nice, hanging over the street, and is a pleasant place to have a cheeky drink before bed. The restaurant is top class but pricy.

The room was as expected -- big, clean bed with comfy pillows. However, the bathroom had zero ventilation, which made it tough to have a shower. Also, the iron and ironing mat were both broken: the iron leaked water, while the ironing mat couldn't stay upright. But apart from that, the room was nice.

Highly recommended for anyone hoping to be close to LA Live, Staple Center and the convention center.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
SAN FRANCISCO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Stayed at the Lux for 5 days in rm 927 during Hotel Technology convention a few blocks away.

First off - this hotel isn't much cheaper than major hotels around the area, so don't try to save a few bucks by ruining your stay...

Pro's:
- clean room, location, convenient and quick parking

Con's:
- Slow Wi-Fi, intermittent and weak signal.

- Lots of inconveniences! : 2 light stands by the bed weren't working as they simply didn't have enough outlets to be plugged in, NOT enough outlets in the rooms. It's one of the easiest things to provide to your guests, and i have to run hunt for them and charge my phone in the bathroom!

- HAIR DRYER has very very short cord where you have to be right next to the wall outlet in order to dry your hair

- Sink smells like paint/caulk which made me inhale the fumes each morning while brushing teeth... i didn't want to move to another room as we already unpacked everything.

- Slippers that they provide stick to the floor and make loud noises - a minor thing, but annoying, room had 2 connecting doors on each of the walls - beware, one of the nights i got waken up by a dog barking in next door room.

- VERY LOUD AC conditioner!

Lots of Controlling and Enforcing Policy/Policies with a Capital P. The hotel DOESN"T CARE about the guest, but cares about their anti-guest POLICIES:

- "Can i borrow the cart to unload my car?" - NO, only bellman can help you with that. "I don't want Bellman's help, i can take care of the cart myself" - NO you can't borrow the cart without Bellman. (My next day stop was Marriott Courtyard, and they were happy to let me borrow the cart with or without Bellman... ). Who do you think i will stay with now? Lux that CONTROLS me, or Courtyard who lets me do what I WANT?

And... to add to this, when we carried our bags by ourselves, the bellman was staring and laughing at us.

- "Can i leave my car here till 5pm after check-out?" - NO, you have to pay extra. "But i checked in at 7pm, so it wasn't 24 hours". "NO, parking runs out when you check out from hotel". Thank you - i stayed in your hotel for 5 nights, and you want to nickel and dime me to leave my car for a few extra hours?

- "Do you happen to have a Microwave where i can warm up my food"? NO - we don't, ask in the morning maybe they do

- We got a ride from the friend, and parked near the door, when the Latino looking parking valet associate approached and asked how long will you park. We said " a couple of minutes and that we're staying here", he Rudely replied "couple of minutes for what!?" Only after we showed him our key card he left us alone. Very rude and made us feel unwelcome.

Do not stay here, this place isn't even that much cheaper than better hotels, but you'll end up with saving your good mood and have a positive experience than dealing with this below average "boutique hotel".

Room Tip: Pay a bit more elsewhere and don't ruin your experience by staying here.
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here. The staff was super-friendly and helpful. The property was clean and just a few blocks from the Metro and some good restaurants and shopping at a wide range of price points. I loved having the bowls of green apples around, too, for a light snack. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Some of the hotel views from the windows look out on other buildings. If you light a "big city...
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Stayed here for a few days while on a business trip. If you're a huge sports fan from NBA to WNBA to hockey fan then this is a place to be. Everything is walking distance as gas as finding places to eat or even the movie theatre nearby. The room is very spacey and clean.

Two thumbs up for room service.

San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

My company put me up at the Luxe for a conference I was attending at the Marriott at LA Live.They didn't want to pay the Marriott rates. At first I was disappointed they would not put me up at the hotel where my conference was but in the end I am so glad I stayed at the Luxe! I was there for 4 nights. The Luxe is modern and hip and feels like a "boutique" hotel. The rooms are well-appointed and spacious with nice amenities, including robes and slippers --although no tub. Complimentary water and apples at front desk and a very friendly and attentive staff (especially the valets! They were so nice and helpful with advice on where to eat and cheerful each morning- when my older mother drove all the way from the OC to pick me up in Friday traffic, they brought her a bottle of water and chatted with her while they loaded my bags and I checked out). It is SO close to LA Live but slightly out of the chaos which was nice. I would recommend staying there versus the Marriott, much more mellow and fun. My only issue was that they must have cleaned the bathroom fixtures with something harsh because the skin on my fingers was quite irritated after I used the sink or shower. I took to turning them on and off with a washcloth and the reaction subsided.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms above bar terrace facing Staples Center- music from bar is loud and thumping. When a gam...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I recently spent 5 nights at the Luxe. We had a large group staying at the JW Marriott and Ritz Carlton, and the Luxe was used as an overflow hotel. This worked out nice as the three hotels are all in a one block radius (with the addition of the two new Marriotts across the street from the JW the options will increase even more in the near future).

The hotel is definitely old - you can't disguise the bones of narrower hallways, the outside look, the smaller sleeping rooms and some of the other features of an older hotel. However, they have done an excellent job of renovating the hotel and updating the decor within the rooms including the bathroom. Although my room did not have a tub, it had a very nice shower. The bed was quite comfortable and I enjoyed the pop artwork - mine was a large painting of Wayne Gretzky, but I was told from someone else they had Madonna.

The only downside is that the hotel has no self-parking and you must use valet. At this writing it was $44 a night (the JW was $42). There is some overnight street parking around the corner but on week days the meters start early in the morning. You can also find a few parking lots in the general area that offer overnight parking - I saw one for $25 a night across from the JW on Olympic. Most of the parking lots do not offer overnight parking.

The proximity to the Staples Center, Convention Center, Nokia Theater, Lucky Strike bowling and all the restaurants at LA Live is wonderful. It feels fairly safe to walk around and there is a lot of energy. I would definitely recommend a stay at this hotel.

El Paso, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Smaller hotel located in the LA live district. Walking distance from the Staples Center. Hotel is very clean and secure. The parking rate is crazy but from what I have read its common in the LA area. I made the mistake of renting a car, best to use a Taxi or other service. Definitely would stay again to catch a Lakers or Clipper game.

Room Tip: Had a room facing LA Live. Did not have any issues with street noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Luxe City Center Hotel? Share your experiences!