“Nice boutique hotel in a great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Palomar Los Angeles - Beverly Hills - a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel Palomar Los Angeles - Beverly Hills - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Palomar Los Angeles - Beverly Hills - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10740 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90024 (Westside)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #21 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Nice boutique hotel in a great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I had a brief weekend stay at the Hotel Palomar. There is a lot to like. Friendly staff, fast valet, nicely appointed rooms, comfortable bed. The thing I loved the most was location. Walk across Wilshire and you are immediately in a beautiful walking neighborhood plus adjacent to the beautiful UCLA campus and the surrounding shops and restaurants. The hotel area borders the Beverly Hills area and is close enough to either the beach or downtown LA/Dodger Stadium. It is a very short drive to the Getty Museum. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2015

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The check-in was quick, but the clerk was not super helpful when I asked her about some dining options in the area, she just handed me a map and that was it. The room was ok, had a fridge, which is a plus. The elevators, however, are dimly lit and make you feel like you are either in a disco or the red-light district. There is a restaurant in the hotel, I stopped in for breakfast my first morning, and this may seem petty, but they serve an omelet with potatoes, I asked to substitute the potatoes for toast, which, by the way, is cheaper on the a la carte menu, and the server told me he couldn't do that but would have to charge me $3 more, which to me is absolutely insane, I didn't ask for the bread on top of the potatoes, but instead. So I left without having breakfast. Really, there is no flexibility??? They do serve free coffee and tea in the lobby which is a plus. They also have a free happy hour in the lobby from 5:00 - 6:00 p.m. every evening. I love the fact that all Kimpton Hotels are dog friendly, I didn't travel with mine this time, but I would stay there with them. The other fact I love is the fee Wi-Fi once you are a member of their club, it's easy to sign up on-line. More hotels should do that. The neighborhood is great for walking, there are plenty of restaurants within easy walking distance, I even walked back from Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, it took me about 40 minutes, all pretty much down-hill. One street over you are in a residential part of the neighborhood with beautiful homes and well-kept streets.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
GM_HotelPalomar, Manager at Hotel Palomar Los Angeles - Beverly Hills - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Karlsruhe_79,
Glad you were able to join us on your trip to LA and thank you for the review. Though it feels like overall your stay went well, we are sorry to hear that our employees didn’t make your stay better. We feel like our staff is the difference maker for our hotel and in this instance seems like we didn’t have our “A” game. We will get the staff you encountered their Kimpton Happy Pills so your next stay matches your expectations.

california
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have stayed at this hotel multiple times because of its proximity to UCLA. Each time I get a little more unsatisfied. This past time I had a "suite" as I usually do and was very bothered by the large amount of black mold around the floor near the toilet. I also had a lampshade in bedroom that was full of cracks...hummm (for $375 a night? really?) Then the elevators have problems. A staff member and I got into one at the same time and the door would not close. This staff person said it happens a lot and people get stuck inside???Really?

Of course I kindly mentioned the mold to the front desk each morning of my 3 day stay. Nothing was ever done. Mentioned it again in check out and was told "your comments were noted and this room will be taken off line to repair" Well, okay, but why was it this way to begin with?

Nearly everything in the room is run down. They are all decorated alike, but nothing is fresh. I will say, aside from my check out person, all staff was very, very nice. But I do not think the room rate reflects the room. Regardless of what you read, these are run-down rooms in need of refresh.

Personally that was my last time. I would rather pay an additional $100 and get a nice, clean, mold free room at another hotel in this pricey neighborhood. Location of this hotel is great, but it is not managed properly...in my opinion.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Sk8ldy,
Thank you for the review from your recent stay and sorry we didn’t live up to the Kimpton standard. Though we are in the planning stages for a hotel refresh the items you named should be addressed on a daily basis. The cleaning of the bathroom and lamp shades are things we are completely in control so these items can be corrected immediately. Sorry to hear of that our staff didn’t get the situation corrected once it was reported and we will use this as a training opportunity. We will get these items corrected and would love to have you back. Please feel free to contact me if your travel plans bring you back to LA.

Robert.cole@hotelpalomar.com
424-901-7262
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Beautiful lobby and location. Even though there is a nice *little* gym in the hotel, the residential neighborhood is perfect for a morning jog or walk. There is a CVS and other stores in walking distance if you should need anything or just want to explore. The customer service was great, which is one thing the folks at Kimpton have mastered. I've never had a negative customer service experience at any of their properties. The standard rooms made me feel a little claustrophobic, so I upgraded to a suite and it was much better! The views in both rooms were lovely. My only complaint would be the pool. I was so excited to escape the crazy east coast weather and lay out by the pool. Unfortunately the pool was dirty and in the shade. If you want a nice pool situation, I would try the other Kimpton in town, the Wilshire.

Room Tip: Ask for a skyline view room.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
CNR683,
Glad you were able to join us on your trip to LA. We couldn’t agree with you more that our employees set a very high bar for customer service. Though the pool area is smaller, we are disappointed to hear that the cleanliness was not there, we will look into that immediately. We look forward to seeing you again on your next escape to LA.
Santa Clarita, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed here for several nights with my mom, who was recovering from eye surgery at the nearby UCLA medical center. My mom and I are both typically Holiday Inn-types, you know - we appreciate a clean, comfortable hotel room but we don't need a lot of bells and whistles to be happy. Since we would be staying for a week, and my mom was going to have a very hard time getting around and doing things on her own with her eyes bandaged up, the travel agency booked us at the Palomar and we couldn't have been happier.

The room:
We stayed in a suite on an upper floor, facing south (away from Wilshire Blvd). The room was very clean, the furniture was comfortable, and the decor was well-styled and modern. The suite had a very comfortable sitting area, which was perfect for mom, who had to spend most of her time in the room. The desk had good accessibility for our laptops, and there was a small refrigerator tucked in a cabinet which we used for snacks. I slept on the hide-a-bed in the couch, which wasn't terribly comfortable, but I didn't expect it to be. With curtains open, the floor-to-ceiling windows provided abundant natural light, and at nighttime there were plenty of lamps. We had to keep the place very dim due to my mom's eyes, but it was still a lovely room - even dark.

Onsite amenities and the lobby:
The front desk staff was always friendly and helpful. They even provided my mom with a wheelchair on the day of her surgery, and helped wheel her from the car to the elevator, which was wonderful! They always went above and beyond to make sure mom was well taken care of. We didn't get a chance to use the pool, but it was surprisingly charming for being smack in the middle of the city. With the hotel building on one side, and tall foliage on the other, it was private but sunny. The fitness center was also well maintained and well equipped, and perfect for someone who is stuck in a hotel without access to their gym for a week! There is a free wine hour in the lobby every night from 5-6, which I understand is standard at Kimpton hotels. It was a wonderful perk! My favorite perk however, was the two bikes available to borrow! My husband and I borrowed them for a few hours and went for a ride around the neighborhood. Certainly a fun little something "extra"!

Transportation/Parking:
It was either a quick cab ride or a moderate-length walk to Westwood Village shopping and food, and to the UCLA medical center. Cabs are abundant, and if you get off of Wilshire and over to the side streets, it's a very nice neighborhood, and makes for a pleasant walk. We were lucky to have our parking paid for, otherwise the $37/night mandatory valet parking would not have been feasible on our budget. The valet attendants were all very kind, efficient, and accommodating. They helped get my mom in and out of the car (a tricky task when you are temporarily nearly-blind!) every time we came through, and always greeted us with a smile.

Restaurant and food:
With my mom recovering, we ended up eating most of our meals at the Blvd 16 restaurant downstairs, or ordering room service. The food was all pretty good (and trust me - we tried almost everything!) and there was enough of a variety in the room service menu that we never got bored. Of course, like valet parking - this is something we would NEVER have been able to afford on our own budget. If $14 for a bagel and lox or $8 for oatmeal is in your budget, that's wonderful - but I did have a little bit of trouble with the value of the food for the money. The chicken sandwich was good but it wasn't $17 good.

Overall we had a wonderful experience. It was chic enough for a traveler with slightly expensive taste, but accessible enough for the average mom and daughter to not feel out of place. If you are on a budget, with a family, or just plain more "casual" of a traveler and thinking about staying here, I would still recommend it. It's a great option for everyone.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Chrissy H,
We are glad you found the Palomar LA and thank you for the review. We are glad to see you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of the Kimpton programming. Being able to take the bikes out for a spin and then hit wine hour, what a day. We couldn’t agree more with you that the staff is friendly and helpful. We hope your mom is fully recovered and look forward to seeing you again in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Things have been changing at Kimpton. I stay at one at least once a month and it seems to be brand wide. They appear to be phasing out the mini bar and cutting the restaurants back to dinner only and no 24 hour room service. I understand these changes but don't expect them which messes me up when I go to these hotels on business and get in late as there is no food available, drinks, etc. The complimentary wine hour here is above and beyond and even has a dj. The room was lovely but I did find the staff prickly which is not typical of the Kimptons I have been to.

Stayed April 2015
GM_HotelPalomar, Manager at Hotel Palomar Los Angeles - Beverly Hills - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Jessica J,

Thank you for the review and sorry we didn’t live up to your expectations. Though we have changed the hours at the restaurant and IRD to have no service from 10:30am until 3pm, IRD is still available overnight. Also we have the mini bar still in each of the room I am not sure why it wasn’t present in your guest room. We are glad to see that wine hour exceeded your expectations and will speak with our staff about the prickly service, as that is not how we want to come across. We look forward to your future visits to LA and promise a softer staff.
Edina, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The Palomar was perfect. As has been our experience at other Kimptons, it was comfortable, not at all pretentious, friendly, and fun. The concierge was fabulous! He helped find walking paths, made recommendations (and a hard-to-get reservation) for restaurants and nightlife, and made us feel personally welcomed at the hotel. This was actually our second stay at this hotel. We liked it so much the first time (in 2014) that when we planned a return trip to LA it was an easy decision to stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms either face Wilshire Blvd. or the Valley. Valley views are gorgeous, but the rates for those r...
Green Features: This hotel, as does all Kimptons, prides itself on environmentally friendly practices.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
GM_HotelPalomar, Manager at Hotel Palomar Los Angeles - Beverly Hills - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
KriksPicks,
Thank you for being a loyal Kimpton guest and glad you were able to return to Palomar LA. We couldn’t agree more that our concierge is wonderful and glad they were able to make your stay extra special. We look forward to your future visits to the Palomar LA.
Hotel Manager

Been to Hotel Palomar Los Angeles - Beverly Hills - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!