“I liked it. :)” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #195 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
St. George, Utah
“I liked it. :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This lovely old hotel is located downtown within easy walking distance of the financial, fashion, theater and jewelry districts of LA. Though a bit rundown it's not a bad place to stay.
Now I cannot lie, I did have some issues so buckle up as I have a tale to tell.
Upon arrival I really liked the interior of the lobby, they have recently done some updating and you can tell they put a good portion into the public spaces. I cannot say the same for the rooms unfortunately.
I was on the 9th floor and my room was quite small but plenty serviceable for my needs. There was a fridge, microwave, assorted furniture- dresser/desk, a couple of nightstands and a chair. I had a king and I can sing nothing but praises about that bed. Let's be honest here, that's the most important part, and why you need a hotel, otherwise you can sleep on the street or the beach. At least that's my opinon. If I wasnt' concerned with getting a decent night's sleep I'd just stay in my car.
The dresser/desk and nightstands were all ragged: missing handles, worn edges, water stains etc. The chair was horribly dirty and stained.The fridge rocked and had some moisture in it and the microwave was kinda scary looking though both were very functional. The drapes and lamp shades were filthy. The sheers had cigarette burns in them and were more of an ivory color that I don't think was original. The TV is 90s model CRT and not HD but the channel selection was nice. The carpet had been pulled up for some reason or another and replaced with really cheap laminate- the kind that clicks when you walk on it with sneakers so it sounds like you are in dress shoes.This caused a couple of issues later on.
The bathroom is european style, meaning it's so little that you step in and around the door to close it. You are literally against the wall when using the toilet and the shower is made for shorter and smaller stature people. To give you an idea I am 6'3" roughly 190-200lbs, the shower head was collar bone height and I had to plan out a course of action to turn and bend to attend to the proper hygienic routines a kind member of society should always take care of prior to an appearance in public.But I am not one that lives in the bathroom so I didn't really have a big issue with that. The sink was somewhat ridiculous as I have seen larger ones in motorhome bathrooms. There was very little space to place items and, as someone mentioned in an earlier review, there are very few outlets in this room. This is 2014 and everyone has multiple items that need charging and I had to charge my hotspot, laptop, personal cell, and work cell. They all took turns using the lone outlet in the bathroom on the tiny little shelf that was there. That was my main issue with the bathroom though, again, I don't live in one and at my height I am used to low shower heads. #tallpeopleproblems.
So here come the main problems that really need to be addressed: when the carpet was pulled up they left the tack strips in the doorway. I discovered the tack strips after a trip to the ice machine, fortunately I was wearing socks and the tacks didn't actually break the skin. If you've never stepped on a tack strip it's like stepping on sharpened legos. This is a health and safety issue as they are extremly sharp and pointed. My fault for not wearing shoes to the ice maker but I doubt I am the only one who does that.
Another issue with the torn up carpet replaced with laminate is that I had a connecting door to the next room. Sound travels when there is no carpet to mute it, as I learned my first night at oh 11pm. I was seranaded to sleep (yeah, I didn't sleep) by a "lady of the evening" who entertained more than a few men that night. Okay, I do NOT blame the hotel for this! There is no real way to know what shenanigans a person is up to in a hotel room and it's not like they can verify employment prior to renting the room. The amorous and apparently enthusiastic way she conducted business wasn't the worst part of it; it would seem the bed is quite removed from the connecting door. However, her little dog and I assume the chair, are not. I could hear her dog's nails click-clacking as it moved back and forth and between suitors I got to listen to her talk to her bestie on the phone (I learned her name is Chloe and she is from Vegas). It literally sounded like they were in my room. This went on until 2-3 am; I had to be up at 4.
Now I own a bit of this, do not get me wrong, I never called the front desk and truth be told I never sleep the first night in a strange place anyway.
The next day I did call the desk and spoke to them about it. They were immediately prepared to assist in any way they could. I didn't really want to move all my stuff to another location and I also didn't want to raise a huge issue about it as I know it's out of their control. I don't think this lady was a street hustler; she had appointments and it would have happened at whatever hotel she was at. She was only going to be there another night and since I had an idea of her schdeule I just made sure I was asleep prior to her "shift".
I had a great 2nd night and every night after that was wonderful.
The wifi is deplorable and again this is 2014 but this type of thing happens in a tall hotel if they don't have many repeaters. Luckily I had my hotspot so it was no big deal.
The day prior to my check out I happened to chat up the front desk clerk and I spoke to her a little bit about my experience. She (Teena) was amazing and she told me that they had a room prepared and she had the card ready to go the day I called in about my concerns. I have seen some people complain about the service. I have no idea who they dealt with because Teena and the gentleman I talked to on the phone as well as the young man who checked me out were all awesome and extremely cordial. She apologized profusely about the room and was willing to move me still. At this point my noisy neighbor Chloe had moved out so this was no issue.
Aside from the terrible need for a remodel (which they have said repeatedly is being undertaken at the end of this year and beginning of next) this hotel was quite nice to stay at. It was very quiet, if you disregard "Pretty Woman" and her canine sidekick, and quite comfortable.
The negatives:
Chloe and her dog
Laminate flooring and carpet tacks
out of date and distressed furnishings and window dressings
bathroom and shower size
Wifi
TV
available outlets

The positives:
The bed was wonderful! the sheets were soft and very clean
The towels were nice though I did bring my own (hopefully they don't think I just didn't shower!)
Channel options
Hotel Staff
Quiet
Though rundown the fridge and micro were lifesavers for me.

Room Tip: request no connecting doors if you are not going to have multiple rooms.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
MayfairLA, Owner at Historic Mayfair Hotel, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Thanks so much for giving us such a detailed account of your stay. As you mentioned, we are starting renovations, and feedback like yours is going to help us make sure we're improving everything our guests have brought to our attention.

Though it sounds like Teena and the other members of our staff already apologize for the noisy neighbor, I want to again extend my regrets that your first night was less than restful. However, I'm delighted the rest of your stay was more enjoyable.

Thank you again for letting us know the issues with the flooring and the connecting door. I do hope you'll consider staying with us again in the future.

Mike Shoffit, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Not only is the Hotel elegant and in a nice peaceful part of L.A but the staff was very pleasant and welcoming. The rooms were awesome as well, we payed for a double bedroom and got a room with a living room attached to it with a desk and extra bathroom as well as a couch! The room service did a lovely job taking care of the room and the stay was very pleasant. Will return annually if I can! :)

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the couch and desk! It''s so cute!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
MayfairLA, Owner at Historic Mayfair Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
This is fantastic to read. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your room, as well as the rest of the hotel. We'd love to have you back again next yet.

Wales, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I know people probably read reviews like this and think that its full of over reacting idiots BUTi swear to you this hotel is the worst. Never have i felt so unsafe in all my life.
The nightmare started in the taxi on the way. The driver couldn't fathom why we would ever choose to say here, (we explained that we were poor students on a budget) he warned us that we should never leave the hotel after 6 'they all come out at six' is what was said(?!?!?!)
When we finally got there the front entrace had several suspicious looking men gathered by it and as we pulled up the approached, thankfully the driver escorted us into the hotel.
The manager didnt help by declaring that valuables should never left too far away "people tend to wonder in and out and around the hotel at night"!
Anxiously we got to our room, the lock had been tampered with. The room itself was ok, clean, tidy and well kept, but the lack of security was a major factor. After a sleepless night (where we were treated to a melody of gun shots, brawling, sirens and someone rattling on our door at one point) and no complementary breakfast (like was advertised on website ANOTHER lie) we decided to move to the USA hostel on the other side of town!
This hotel is truly the worst, no one should ever stay here, no one should ever have to feel unsafe doesn't matter who they are or wether they're local or not, and they seriously need to invest in security!
P.S The low point was also having to listen to two people in the room next door going at it like horny seals at 1am...then at 4am...then 7am. Gross.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
MayfairLA, Owner at Historic Mayfair Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
First and foremost, I am very sorry to hear that you felt unsafe at our hotel. We always want our guests to feel comfortable and relaxed while they're staying with, so to hear you had the opposite experience is disappointing.

I want you to know we do have security, and of course take the security of our guests extremely seriously. Non-guests are not allowed in the lobby and we'd never permit someone to just "wonder" in and out of the hotel. And as for the lock on your room door, we would have been happy to look into it if you had mentioned it to our staff. Further, I apologize for the noises inside and outside of the hotel. I can assure you, there hasn't been gunfire near our hotel and we would have been happy to speak with your neighbors about the commotion.

I never want anyone to leave with a bad impression of us, and I do wish you would have spoken more with management about your concerns while here.

Thanks,
Wellington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We got a good deal on this hotel, and took a risk after seeing some of the reviews weren't that good. However it was OK. The only thing was the carpet was dirty. I don't mind old fittings, and the bed was fine. Bathroom OK, with good towels, shampoos etc. It was close to town, and had free Wifi. If new carpet was put throughout, it would be much better. The staff were very friendly and helpful when we asked about the city and how to get to places.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the feedback! We're going through renovations right now, and new carpet is definitely on the list of things being done. We're really excited about our new look, and hope you'll stay with us again once it's all completed.

San Diego, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2014

Worst experience of my life!! I was not expecting a palace, since I know that you get what you get what you pay for, but this place seriously gets the garbage pail award! Booked 3 nights, planning to find something else in the morning and demanding my money back. Places like this should not be in business!!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Lompoc, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2014

We picked this hotel to stay the night after a concert at the staples center which is only a 5 minute cab drive away. It's an old place that has been/is being renovated. Rooms are small but clean ,the lobby is actually quite nice. Unlike some other reviewers I had no issue whatsoever with the service level. If you're ok doing without frills and gimmicks and just need a convenient place to crash for a downtown event this place will fit the bill.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
MayfairLA, Owner at Historic Mayfair Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2014
What a perfect spot to stay for the concert! We may be a no frills kind of place, but we're glad you enjoyed our cozy, clean charm. Hope you had fun at your show.

Until next time,
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014

We stayed here for a single night in May, the location is convenient, within walking distance of downtown LA. However, the reception service was slow or non-existent, we were either left waiting or were asked to come back later for assistance. The room was extremely small, with an even smaller bathroom...I could only just manage to open/close the door whilst in the bathroom! The decor was dated and tired, and the bathroom was far from clean. The hotel stay did include breakfast, which was really nice and probably one of the best breakfasts I've had in a US hotel, but that was it's only redeeming quality.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
MayfairLA, Owner at Historic Mayfair Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2014
It's a disappointment you didn't enjoy your stay here more. While I'm happy the location worked at well for you, it's upsetting to hear that service wasn't prompt and you struggled with your room. However, I'm pleased you were able to try out our breakfast.

Take care,
Mike Shoffit, General Manager

Been to Historic Mayfair Hotel? Share your experiences!