“Historic Mayfair LA” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #185 of 318 hotels in Los Angeles
Kuwait City, Kuwait
“Historic Mayfair LA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

This is a downtown hotel, 200mts. short walk to the bus stop and metro station. Great Value hotel with clean and comfortable beddings. Buffet breakfast $:14 was enjoyable and much better than what was available at other breakfast places down the road outside the hotel. Hotel looks very historic and has a history one would like to read about. I would recommend this hotel to anyone on a 4day trip to LA just for sight-seeing as this is your base to go around LA. The sight-seeing Hop on/off bus is just a short 300mts walk where you could get a 1-3day pass and go all around the main sights. We visited Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Walk of Fame, Universal Studios, Dolby Building, DownTown, etc...We took the Bus#466 to Anaheim to visit Disneyland. It took us 1 1/2 hour by bus ride,,,and this hotel was very convenient to start up and be dropped off too. For $:70/- a night this was superb. Nice Thai restaurant just at the side of the hotel,,,who offer huge portions,,,so order for 3 when 5 are sitting to eat.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor as I do always...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MayfairLA, General Manager at The Historic Mayfair Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear DG-KWI, thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay at The Mayfair. I am glad that your experience was comfortable and satisfying. I am delighted you found our breakfast buffet enjoyable. The Mayfair is a great value alternative to Downtown and only within walking distance to a lot of great places to visit and always strives to provide reasonable prices to its guests. Thank you again for your positive feedback. We look forward to your next visit. Mike Shoffit, General Manager

150 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Cheap and glorious, you can feel the old good times had been there (like in "shining" with jack nicholson the bar is closed but you can hear the cluttering and the laughs from the past,mind the ghosts).
Friendly, clean and professional, the place needs badly a total refurbishment but then it wouldn't be cheap anymore.......rumours has it that it willll change into a chic boutique hotel, well diserved....

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear ronnie9993, thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us your experience. We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgement of a positive nature. The Mayfair is a great value and we continue to improve our offerings. I would like to inform you that the hotel will undergo a full renovation early of next year top to bottom. There are lots of new exciting things happening at The Mayfair. Hope you come back and see us pretty soon. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit. Mike Shoffit, General Manager
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

(Before you read this, maybe you want to know what kind of traveller am I first; I am not an A-lister/posh traveller). The hotel was the only decent but affordable hotel in Downtown LA I can search. Being in central LA itself is a good point for this hotel. The history of the hotel is also something if you like history. The room was nice enough for us, with a nice space for luggage, hanging coats, etc., and a bath tub (so bring/buy some bath gel if you like). Perfect for us as there was hustle-free wifi internet in room or lobby/reception. There was no fridge though, and no air-conditioning in our room (I guess it depends on the room). Breakfast was not included in our room, and was expensive ($12.95). There's Mc Donald's walking distance away if you want to be wise. Having access to the Metro station is also a "plus" for this place. Going to Hollywood and Universal Studios was only 1 line (red), but be careful not to be too late coz you need to walk and the neighbourhood can't be trusted. There was a tour bus line (that offers different tours) associated with the hotel which I saw in the bellman's desk which will pick you up and drop you back in the hotel, but this was not offered to me when I was emailing them before we arrived. I even observed that much of the tour lines I browsed online before we came wasn't accepting this hotel as a pickup/drop-off point, and we need to go to the nearby accepted ones (you can try it yourself) which we feared due to the reputation of the neighbourhood. Even the shuttle to/from the airport doesn't have the name of the hotel in their list so you have to specify the zipcode. It's a shame on that aspect, coz we were satisfied with the hotel and we can stay there again if there's another chance. Services were not superb but nothing intolerable happened.

Room Tip: choose a higher floor if you want some views. Ask for air-conditioning during summer.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JuanitoC4, Thank you for taking time to let us know about your recent stay. We are delighted that your stay was satisfactory. I am disappointed to hear that you did not think the service was superb. Our goal certainly is to provide the very best service. I apologize that did not happen during your visit. The Mayfair does have a great location and is centrally located for many of the attractions. The neighborhood between the hotel and the metro station is quite safe both day and night. The shuttle services do pick up at the Mayfair, you just need to give them the address. I also want to mention all of our rooms are air conditioned. We will check the room you were in to make sure the unit is working properly. Thanks again for taking time out to let us know about your stay. Our full renovation of the hotel will start in April and we would love for you to come back next year and see all the changes that we are making. Sincerely, Mike Shoffit, General Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Great value hotel. It was clean and beds were very comfortable.
Staff were very helpful. Location was reasonable. A bit of a walk to downtown LA but it was good excercise, especially after a heavy meal. Buffet breakfast was enjoyable and although a bit pricey it was well worth it.
Water pressure in shower was below acceptable.

Room Tip: we stayed at the top level.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
MayfairLA, General Manager at The Historic Mayfair Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Kobanaki, thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us your experiences during your recent stay. We could not be more pleased that your experience was satisfying and we're delighted you found our breakfast buffet enjoyable. Our team goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as yours. As part of our renovation project that will start next year, we had engaged plumbing consultant to help us rectify about the pressure problem. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you in the future. Mike Shoffit, General Manager
Stilwell, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

The pictures on the website are deceiving because the rooms are small, filthy & in need of renovations bad. My brother found and took a picture of the roaches he found in his room. We were supposed to stay 6 nights but left after 3 because we were so grossed out. The air conditioner didn't work very well either. When we brought this to the guys attention at the front desk he didn't seem surprised by our complaints at all, he was not apologetic at all but did give us our money back and we switched hotels. I don't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Missshawna44, thank you for taking the time to share your comments. First, certainly apologize for your encounter the roaches. We have a very strong on going pest control program in which we spray over 50 rooms a month. We appreciate you bringing it to our attention. We realized that this is unacceptable and we sincerely apologize. Mike Shoffit, General Manager
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Concierge, Front Desk, price & location of the Historic Mayfair Hotel made this my hotel of choice if i come to LA again. The Concierge printed me maps, advised me on buses and places of interests, and even got me an affordable trip to Universal Studio on my last day in LA. The Front Desk checked me in early when i arrived early (by many hours before check in time 15:00). No complaints. I heard there was a change of management. And for all good reasons if that is the case. Awesome experience staying at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
MayfairLA, General Manager at The Historic Mayfair Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear BradT, thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us your excellent experience. We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgement of a positive nature. Reviews like yours help us to make sure that we're meeting the needs of our customers and we're proud to know that our team treated you so well. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Mike Shoffit, General Manager
Brasilia, DF
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Mayfair. I asked for a newer and higher level room and the management offered me one at the 15th floor. The overall cleanliness of the room was good, albeit carpet is always complicated because it accumulates dust easy. Bathroom was clean, though not very spacious. The furniture, albeit old, was sturdy and solid - with the exception of a criple fridge that I myself mended with a sheet of paper. Who cares about outdated furniture.
I would preffer one of the beds to be smaller to gain some space. The television could be newer.
The staff was polite though a bit dry. They looked a bit tired, but they were professional above all. The guy from the frontdoor was nice looking for my sturff at the storage.
I found the bed very confortable and I had plenty of sleep.
I reccommend this hotel
Reviews complaining about the neighborhood should realized that this is not a very touristic area, but I was surprised by the easyness of traffic for a downtown area. Walking at night alone can be dangerous in big cities. But during the day, it is just normal downtown area - very hispanic. I must confess that I did not walk much because I had a car. Easy access to freeways.
I would recommend with some reserves for those very hard to please.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room. The view is beatiful.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
MayfairLA, General Manager at The Historic Mayfair Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear glaucoav, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your comments, both positive and where we need to improve. I would like to inform you that early of 2014 the hotel will undergo a complete renovation. These will include, new drapes, TV, furniture, paint, vinyl. With all this exciting things going on, hope you will come back and see us pretty soon. Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Mike Shoffit, General Manager

Been to The Historic Mayfair Hotel? Share your experiences!