“Good place, enjoyed my stay” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #83 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
North Jersey
“Good place, enjoyed my stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

After staying two nights at the Royal Pagoda motel just a block or two away, we moved to this hotel because we couldn't get anymore nights at the other one. Also, the rates were very good thru Expedia. Our stay was great. I was traveling with two of my friends, so we were three guys just vacationing in L.A.

The check-in (and check-out) were the worst experiences of the whole trip. There are a couple of kids working the desk that seem to just take their sweet time and don't acknowledge that another guest is waiting to be checked in. They're friendly enough, kind of quiet actually. But they are slow. Very slow. It took more than 15 minutes for the person in front of me to finish and then it took them at least 5 full minutes to check me in. They would always disappear to the back office and not reappear for several minutes. The check-out was almost as slow at the end of our stay. At check-in, the guy didn't give us the complimentary breakfast tickets as he gave to the other guest he checked in. That might be because we had a low rate thru Expedia, I don't know. When I asked, he only gave us one ticket each when we really needed two each for each day of our stay. A couple days later, when I needed a ticket, I went to the front desk and told them we had only gotten one each at check-in, and the person there gave me another ticket right away, so it wasn't that big a deal in the end; it was just unsettling at check-in to only get the one ticket each.

Aside from the slow and slightly unprofessional (but not very bad) check-in the hotel was a great place to stay. The hotel is in a small complex of shops and it is organized around a courtyard where the shops are. I thought this was a great arrangement. One of the shops in the courtyard serves the complimentary breakfast. They had good coffee, a few danishes, bagels, english muffins, some fruit, and the person at the counter would offer you a waffle when you hand in the ticket for the free breakfast. The waffle was good, nothing spectacular, but good. Same goes for everything else. I saw nothing that was "moldy" as another reviewer experienced. Everything seemed very fresh.

The room was a good size and had TV, a table with a couple chairs, a desk with its own chair, and free wireless internet. The internet was no problem, I just started up my laptop and was on the internet - no codes or passwords or anything. Worked great, too, helped us find a restaurant for dinner and a couple bars to hit afterwards.

The beds were good, bathroom was very good, no problems with shower or water pressure, no problems with drainage in the tub, everything was fine. It was very, very clean also. We even used the in-room coffee maker and that was great also. The sink was just outside the bathroom but still in a separated area and this was convenient as others could use the sink while someone else was showering.

The maids were very accommodating and they did a great job with the room, it was very clean. They were very friendly also. This hotel has all exterior corridors as others have mentioned; however, in this case, I found it to be a positive. It was nice to step outside and get some air (or for those who smoke, to smoke). All exterior corridors overlooked the courtyard which was nice. And, even though the hallways are outdoors, the elevator (which needs to be taken for any room) has a slide so that you must swipe your valid key card or else it won't go to your floor, so that added a level of security and helped put me a little more at ease.

The neighborhood is Chinatown. Even though it is part of downtown it is a very safe area. We never felt threatened or in danger at all. The people are nice and it's an interesting area. You can sightsee right in that neighborhood and there are interesting shops to visit and there is GREAT food. I'm used to Chinatown in NYC where we have great Chinese food, but L.A.'s chinatown is definitely just as good, if not better.

The parking is a weird situation. There is a parking garage under the hotel. The hotel will charge you $8 a night to park there, and from what I've heard they will require you "valet" park the car. My friends and I are not big on valets because we want to be able to just get in and go without waiting for some valet. So we didn't go with their parking. We parked on the street which was free and fine all weekend long. We parked overnight with no problems. During the day we were out and about so we didn't park there. On the Weekdays the meters kick in. Anyway, we parked for free at night every night on the street. On Monday morning when we were going to check out, I had to move the car by 8 AM. The garage that does the valet parking is open to the public and charges a flat $3 rate for the day, so I just moved the car there till we left later in the morning (no valet, it was self park).

Overall, it was a good stay. The room was much nicer than the Royal Pagoda nearby, and the rates were good but not as low as the Royal Pagoda.

Overall this is a simple hotel, and it's great for vacationers who aren't going to spend a ton of time in their hotel room.

If I traveled to L.A. on business I probably wouldn't stay here, at least not more than a night or two. I will definitely look to stay here again on my next vacation to L.A. though. Chinatown is a great location - it's safe, it's interesting, great food options (including bakeries that make awesome pastries for breakfast), and located near all the major freeways so you can easily get anywhere you want. Everywhere we wanted to go was only about 10 minutes away - Hollywood, Pasadena, Venice, etc.

I'd recommend this place to any of my friends and I will hopefully stay there again. The only thing is that I've noticed their rates to get pretty high, and at that point I'd considering staying in a nicer hotel like a Hilton or something. But for under $80 a night it's worth it.

• Liked — Location and Value; Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Slow check-in and front desk; Parking situation
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Tempe, AZ - Petaling Jaya, Malaysia - Melaka, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2008

I'm sorry for this late review. Our trip to LA was on December 2005. I booked for this hotel because of the price and location. I have read about some bad reviews on Tripadvisor before booking but I figured I could give it a try. However, the hotel was terrible.

The staff were rude and not friendly. They acted like we owed them money to stay there! After checked in, we were left to ourselves to find our rooms. When we got up to our floor, I knew that the rooms will be terrible from the appearance of the corridors.

I booked 2 rooms for 3 nights, and both the rooms were smelly. The carpets were damped and stained. The bathrooms were dirty and in need of renovation. The bedsheets had cigarette burns, and the comforters and blankets were stained and odorous. The whole rooms and bathrooms were like haunted!

My parents were very easy-going at that time and told us to put up with it. So we stayed for a night there and the next morning, we went to redeem our free "breakfast" at the coffee shop downstairs. It was a joke! Their free breakfast were buns they let you choose on the coffee shop counter and my aunt was unlucky and got a moldy bun! That was the last straw!

Right after that, we immediately packed our luggage and checked out. I told the staff about their moldy "free" breakfast and not a word of sorry from them! They acted like it was our fault choosing the wrong buns!

Stay away from this hotel! After 3 years, I can still remember vividly the bad experience that we had there.

I think this hotel alone will spoil the Best Western brand! Best Western should kick this hotel out of their chain!

• Liked — None!
  • Disliked — Rude staff, dirty rooms and bathrooms, moldy free breakfast!
  • Stayed December 2005, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2008

This hotel is located right in the middle of Chinatown, just north of Los Angeles' downtown. As far as location goes, you can't get much better as most any place is accessible by car. It's near the 10, 5, 101 and 110 freeways. On the other hand, the immediate surroundings aren't the best, but typical of the Los Angeles downtown area (not including the few blocks where all the tall buildings are).

The room was a good size and clean. The building is a little drabby. The breakfast comes out of a small convenience store located on the first floor (free). Also located on the first floor, strip-like mall area are some other Chinese shops. Overall, I was satisfied with my experience there (but then, all I was looking for was a place to stay).

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Slightly drabby
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bayarea
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

Their customer service was beyond rude! (They are cold blooded liars) I don't have words that can describe my experience that I had encountered. I asked prior to making reservations if they had Internet connection and they told me "yes" I go there the same day pay for my room go upstairs and guess what the internet was having issues NO INTERNET ( that just took the word "business" out of "business trip") I Called down to ask them to help me with the details of the internet( maybe I was doing something wrong) I rudely got shut down with a " I dont know anything you call number on card in room" Okay.....? that was weird. Continued to call tech support, tech support says the router at the hotel needs to be reset ,he'll just call them to do that and the internet should be up and running in about5 minutes. So I decide to take a shower and 45 minutes later I try the internet NOPE! still doesnt work. Call tech support again and tech support checks and says oh thats odd they didnt reset their router yet ( like they told them they would ) Okay since the hotel wasnt helping or trying he was going to connect me manually that was complicated but it was done. Of course 10 minutes later I lost it. So as I call back tech support i realize I can sort of pick up the neighbors wireless if I stand half way in the bathroom and the sink area . Tech support tells me that I wont be able to get Internet do to too many people on just one line usually they have 4 but 3 of them are down and the hotel doesnt know how to reset their router. Okay..?....so now what well I get a big I'm sorry IM SORRY WHAT ABOUT MY TRAVELING AcROSS THE STATE THE WHOLE dAY AND NOW YOUR TELLING ME SORRY! What happen to yes we have internet ! It should be we have Internet for the first 20 people that arrive! I then tell tech support to try to make this right an if they can call down stairs and try to do something. 2 minutes later I get a call and they say
HOTEL:So you have a problem with the internet?
ME: yes I asked you if you had internet and you said yes what happened?
HOTEL: I don't know you want I move you to another room
ME: I wont have internet over there either
HOTEL: Yes you will
ME: I asked tech support and they said I wont
HOTEL:I dont know you move or no
ME: No I want you to reset your router and fix the issue
HOTEL: I dont know nothing I cant help you then
ME: why are you going to tell me you internet when 3 out of your 4 lines are down
HOTEL: You no ask us that
ME: yes I did
HOTEL: No you did not must be misunderstanding
ME: um NO
*************************** very small verbal altercation *********************
ME:you are very rude I want to talk to your superior
HOTEL; No they not here you talk to them on Tuesday (4 days form then)
ME: I will not be here on Tuesday and how will that help
HOTEL:I call them and call you back
****************************************10 minutes later***********************
HOTEL: I talk to boss he said pack your things and get out we give you refund
ME: What are you kicking me out
HOTEL: yes you have 20 minutes
ME: ???????????????

I dont know what the heck just happened there I have never in my life got kick out of hotel or treated so unreasonably. I think I hate this place get my money and get some where else that will treat me like a paying customer. I pack go to the ugly lobby and demand my money.
HOTEL: no we no give you money back ,you too much trouble we dont want you here.
ME:HUH ?!! you said you'll give me my money back if I leave now!
HOTEL:No, leave now good bye
ME:I have no where to stay
HOTEL:your room has been rented out to somebody else now
ME: You deceived me and took my money
HOTEL:too bad good BYE

I cant believe what is happening.
I left called best western corp. thank god they compensated me and made things right.
But that short brief stay traumatised me forever DONT STAY THERE save your selves dont let what happen to me happen to you!!

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — THE HOTEL
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
morgan hill ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2008

Hotel staff was nice. Room was clean but small. The location was good. The outside of the building is a bit run down. Overshadowing the acceptable aspects of this hotel is the most terrible breakfast, the filthy cafe and patio. The first dilemma is deciding whether you can eat the food from the cafe and not get sick. The milk sits on the counter in it's original carton (no ice, no refrigeration); the hardcooked eggs are warm leaving you wondering if they're just freshly made or how many days have they been sitting on the counter. The counters are so crowded with "stuff" that you can't really see what this breakfast includes. The second difficult decision is deciding which dirty table to sit at in the courtyard. The courtyard floor holds years of dirt, the walls are stained, the garbage cans almost unapproachable. It's difficult to breathe because the courtyard is filled with local old men smoking and filling out their lotto tickets. Disgusting place. I absolutely do not recommend it.

• Liked — Staff/clean rooms
  • Disliked — small rms, breakfast nnot clean
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Milton, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

I loved this little hotel! It was more like international travel than like being in L.A. The hotel is in chinatown on the 2nd and 3rd floor of a building with a cute courtyard with tables and Chinese businesses on the first floor. The room was huge, very clean, modern and very quiet. Our windows faced out with a view of downtown.
Being in chinatown was great as there were a lot of interesting shops and street activity. We wished we had more time to spend but were on a business trip. The staff was extremely helpful and found us parking for our 15' truck at a neighboring motel for free.
I would definitely stay here again if I needed to stay in downtown L.A.

• Liked — Atmosphere, location in chinatown, clean, quiet, great price for L.A.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2008

We knew when we booked that we needed a hotel close to Union Station. The 'Best Western' accreditation made this a reasonable choice. So, despite a couple of 'iffy' ratings on this site it was booked.

The room was alright : drab, a little odourous, but after arriving after a long day travelling at 9pm we would sleep ok.

The day-time staff were nice and helpful, but the male receptionist who booked us in at night seemed a little shifty. When we asked him for a map of the area, he pointed to the 'elevator'. We tried again, and the 'elevator' was again pointed to. We gave up, took the hint and went to the room.

If you can, try another hotel. If you can't it will do, but don't expect too much.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Drab
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Dragon Gate Inn? Share your experiences!