“Not exactly what we were expecting...” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #95 of 322 hotels in Los Angeles
Santa Maria, California
“Not exactly what we were expecting...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My hubby and I have stayed at Best Westerns in the past and have come to expect a great experience. This hotel is about the same amount as you would pay for a room at the Marriott. You won't get the same quality though...not even the same quality as the other Best Westerns out there. For the price, I expected more.

We stayed here on July 14th. First off, we put in our reservation that we were looking for a late check-in. If you're needing this as well, expect problems. We stood at the front desk for over 20 minutes before my husband grabbed the desk phone and started dialing numbers - only to hear the office phones ringing without being answered either. When the young man finally *did* show up, he put us in a room that was already occupied (thankfully, the occupants weren't there...but that lead to some *really* uncomfortable questions on it's own). The room we ended up in was ok (expect to have to find creative ways to hold back the curtains if you want to cool your room down). As others have mentioned, the bathroom is tiny. The beds weren't the most comfortable we've experienced - but not the worst either. The website stated that breakfast was included. We were never told anything about breakfast, given tickets (as I've read elsewhere), or had it acknowledged. Needless to say, we didn't get breakfast.

Parking is $10 a night. The parking garage is really tiny with a really steep ramp to get into it. We were told to find a spot, and if we couldn't, to park in front of the other cars there. If we had to take that option, we also had to leave the keys to our vehicle at the front desk so they could move our vehicle if someone was blocked in. Thankfully, it didn't come to that, but the garage wasn't well planned and from what we saw, you'll either be blocked in or have to worry about whether or not the receptionist can drive your car.

You'll also want to bring a copy of your reservation paperwork with you and make sure you check your receipt. We were charged an extra $20 for the room (on top of the parking fee) for taxes and fees, while our reservation stated that the final price had all applicable taxes and fees.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

210 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from June 28-July 2, 2012, which coincided with the X-Games and an Anime convention. I had a very difficult time finding a place to stay because of the events in Los Angeles. I settled on this hotel mostly because I couldn't find an empty room elsewhere.

I think this hotel has a pretty good location since it is located about three blocks from Chinatown Metro Station, or about 5-8 blocks from Civic Center Metro Station. I did not bring a car, so access to public transit was very important for me. There are a few bus lines that run nearby too, but Metro access was the main draw.

With respect to the room. It was more than ample for a solo-traveler. The cleanliness was adequate. The furnishings could do with some updating though. I don't really have much to say about the room since I only really slept there.

With respect to service, I found it pleasant. I arrived late on Thursday night, and the clerk was able to direct me to a local Chinese restaurant with decent value grub. The WIFI internet service may not have been very fast, but it was fairly reliable. The hotel provided complimentary breakfast at the corner cafe each morning. Each day had the same food, but there was a reasonable selection of cereal, fruit, muffins, bagels, toast, waffles, breakfast sausage, boiled eggs, juice and coffee. On the whole, I found the service pretty good under the circumstances.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Not up to Best Western standards. The rooms were less than clean and the bed comforter was stained. The location was ok. The rooms are paper thin...and I mean paper thin. I would highly suggest that if you are a couple in love you find a better hotel with thicker walls. Just saying!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Las Cruces, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I stayed one night in this hotel as i was planning to visit hollywood. According to their site, the total amount for my reservation was high. During the checkin they asked me to pay extra $$ money for parking. Other than that, although they are telling they suppling " HIGH SPEED INTERNET" there was no internet facility most of the time. When think about breakfast, we had to take our breakfast at very unclean area. There was nothing much to eat . Finally, the room appearence is very very bad as the room is dark. Any way i got bad experience by staying there. And i don't recommand this place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Great Rates, Great Location, Nice Rooms, Staff was Fantastic and very polite and knowledgeable about the area.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

I thought the room was very clean despite one piece of chewing gum on a table. You get coupons for a hot and cold breakfast in a near by cafe. Unfortunately, I have to give service a 3/5 because of communication/language barrier which made it difficult to ask the staff specific questions. We travel a lot so have to get budget rooms more or less and this room was a good surprise for the cost. It was neat to be able to walk right out into Chinatown.

• Stayed April 2012
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

More like a motel, the way the rooms overlook a central courtyard, yet it was a nice experience. Good bed, HD tv,WiFi, coffee service; well it just had all sorts of little details that were done well. The air conditioner was a bit loud, even on low fan, but that's the only negative bit about the room itself. The bathroom was small, but it had everything needed and was clean. Location was good for Amtrak, which is almost within luggage dragging distance. I took the Gold line from Amtrak to the Chinatown station. I took LA metro for all trips about town, (and really liked the system), as there is a bus stop across from the hotel. The hotel's location is in a bit of a void, but Chinatown proper is a block away, and the cool Mexican historical strip with many good places to eat is about 5 blocks away.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Dragon Gate Inn? Share your experiences!