“Dingy with few facilities” 2 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4300 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90010   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #224 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
cornwall
“Dingy with few facilities”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed here because it is a holiday weekend in the US and the other hotel I stayed at in LA was full as were many others. That should have made me suspicious but as The Dunes was the same price as my previous hotel and many other chains at $135 a night, I thought it must be OK. It is advertised as being central which I wanted since I don't have a car here so I wanted to be able to walk. It is actually 3-4miles from the main attractions. There is a bus, or rather 2 buses but that wasn't what I'd wanted or expected.
The rooms are set around a pool a bit like a motel. Mine was dark, dingy and very basic. Furniture is cheap utility from about 50 years ago and all very brown. Dirty coverlet, hole worn in one seat, small old fashioned TV, very noisy empty fridge and even noisier air conditioning. Basic shower room. And that's it! No hair dryer, iron, drinks maker or any other comforts not even a bottle of water. I don't expect luxury but this is the minimum you could expect anywhere and certainly overpriced. There is nowhere to eat close by so you have to use their cafe for breakfast which is like the rest of the hotel - basic and overpriced.
If you are desperate or can get a very good deal and don't want anything more than a bed and to stay away from the main drag then I suppose The Dunes would be OK. Otherwise you can do much better for the same price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
colorado springs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This is a very simple hotel, almost like a motel but it was very clean (I checked the mattress immediately) and the room was spacious. The bathroom worked well and was also clean. Free internet came handy. Air conditioning worked well and although you could hear it, it was not annoying or too loud. I did not see a hair dryer as advertised but I had my own. The pool was clean and nice. TV is old fashion but it worked fine. The location is GREAT, so close to the main attractions yet the area was not noisy at all. My family and I are simple people so this place was perfect for us. If you like fancy with extreme quality, this place will not do it for you. But of course, fancier WILL come with a pricier tag also...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We spent two nights here in a room with 2 doubles and a kitchenette, complete with a refrigerator, stove, sink, and table and chairs. The bathroom was obviously remodeled, which was nice. We had been traveling CA from top to bottom, and these were our last two nights before leaving. We had stayed in much pricier hotels with many more amenities, but were hardly in the rooms to "enjoy" them. The pool was being remodeled while we were there, but the pool area looked promising. If you are a light sleeper, this probably isn't for you. You do hear noises from the room above and like many other hotels, you could hear people in the hallway. The sheets and blankets were older, but clean, and the beds were comfortable. No sign anywhere of bed bugs. The carpeting was older, but seemed clean enough. We'd walked around much more expensive hotels, big chains, and our socks were dirty afterward. We learned to use flip flops, as no one cleans carpets daily. There was no offensive odor, either, which was a relief.

The gentlemen who waited on us were very straight-forward and nice. We had an actual key, which I think is wonderful. It went right on the rental car key ring and made it very convenient! Not once did we feel uncomfortable. The location was perfect. That area of Wilshire was very easy to pull onto and it wasn't too far from anything. In fact, driving through the side streets near there saved us from getting into some of the infamous traffic.

Since our plans were to enjoy our vacation and California, we didn't stay in the room much, so this was a great hotel for us, the price was perfect, and we will definitely stay there on our next trip to the LA area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

this is not a place to stay. i was there with a group of friends for four nights. they only have one person staffed at all times and normally that person doesn't care what's going on outside of their outdated television in the lobby.

i would guess that terrible things have happened in the outdated room i stayed in. the sheets and comforter were dirty, cable didn't work, ended up watching Lone Ranger reruns because I couldnt get ESPN. plenty of chinese and korean satellite stations though.

i didnt feel safe. at any point in the night i would not have been surprised with an abrupt knock on the door with somebody trying to rob us. we switched hotels after four nights and opted for a holiday inn at the airport which felt like paradise.

stay away and you will have made a wise decision.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Canterbury
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for one night, area and room were ok, but the bed and floor squeaked really badly! We had to drive to find somewhere decent to eat. This place is fine for a night and although we didn't use it, the pool didn't look too bad and there was plenty of free parking.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, AZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed here while attending a concert down the street. I went back and forth between this and another hotel and decided here based on it's proximity to the venue. We stayed here on a Sunday night and I think $125 is a bit pricey for that day of the week and what you actually get.

We went to check in and could barely hear the guy with terrible people skills behind the bulletproof glass. My credit card was swiped on an old-school carbon paper machine. Nothing was very up-to-date with the whole check-in process. The key and the remote control were given to us at check-in.

The room smelled terrible, like cleaning products gone bad. The beds were okay, but everything looked stained. The carpet was so out-of-date; nothing vintage about it. The bathrooms were updated and the shower was decent. There was no hair-dryer; had to check that out, too. And don't think they'll bring it up to you!

I barely slept all night. It was so noisy and it sounded like someone (or something) was crawling up the vent.

We gladly checked out the next day. The guy that day was a little friendlier.

I'm not super familiar with this area but there was some restaurant choices about 1.5 miles down. There's a bus stop too, and they did call a cab for us.

I will not be returning, nor will I be recommending this to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel for few times. The location is very good, but the hotel’s management is very bad. I called few times to make a reservation; the man who is in charge was asking me to call later because he is busy. Last time I was waiting for 45 minutes in the lobby until the man who was sitting in the reception area finishes his lunch. I have spoken with the owner of the hotel; it seems he doesn’t care for the service also. They want to run their hotel the same way they were running their business in Armenia. No in the US that doesn’t work.

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel